flying without baby

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Super Mommy
I had a day trip for work today. I just spent 15 minutes being questioned by the TSA because the agent on duty was convinced that my breast pump was a bomb. Good thing my meeting ended early and I had plenty of time to kill at the airport.
September 24th, 2013, 12:50 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh goodness! That's both funny and frustrating lol. Were they embarrassed when they figured out what it was?

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

September 24th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Super Mommy
They were not embarrassed and the story got worse. I went to the family restroom to pump and apparently they thought I had been in there too long so someone sent the airport police after me. They banged on the door and loudly ordered me to vacate the bathroom immediately. After putting my shirt back on, I walked out and the 50 people sitting near the restroom were staring at me. They once again made me go answer questions and then they ran my breastpump through the scanner again.
September 24th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Oh for crying out loud! How ridiculous!

September 25th, 2013, 03:43 AM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh no. That's awful and embarrassing...well, they should be embarrassed for treating you that way, but I'm sure you felt awkward being ordered out of the bathroom, for goodness sake! So sad that they have to go to such lengths & be suspicious of innocent things because of all the idiots in this world.

September 25th, 2013, 06:33 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ohhh YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! I feel your pain on this 100%. The TSA.. what a joke!

When I returned from a business trip a few years ago I made the mistake of going into the bathroom to curl my hair before I met up with my husband because I was looking a MESS and they came in after me and there were no less than 20 people waiting outside for me. Apparently I had been in there too long. WTH??! I went to the bathroom and curled my hair some. I had only been in there about 10 minutes or so before they sent a woman and a man in after me and the freaking airport swat to greet me outside. I felt like a criminal for daring to groom myself for more than 3 minutes in a bathroom.

Thankfully I was at my destination already or I would have missed my flight.

Look on you tube about the woman they detained for HOURS because she wouldn't let them put her little clear bags of breast milk through the scanner. INSANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though she called ahead for clarification and the TSA policy clearly stated that she didn't have to put it through the scanner.

Bullies..

Last edited by MsRK; September 25th, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
September 25th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Wow...that's just crazy! I mean, I appreciate safety and all that, but that just seems a bit extreme. Geez!

September 25th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Anytime that you give out jobs and major authority to people and the highest requirement for said job is a G.E.D. there is going to be trouble.
September 25th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Here is that youtube video about the woman detained for the breastmilk:

TSA Breast Milk Screening Harassment Updated - YouTube

It ticks me off every time that I see it.
September 25th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Super Mommy
That was horrible.
September 25th, 2013, 09:31 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I too looked up info for when I traveled last year with my toddler. I wanted to know what I could bring for food and drink for him. It said I could bring stuff for him to drink more than the 3 oz or whatever the limit was. So I cleverly bought juice boxes. They wanted me to open ALL of the juice boxes so they could test them. Um, no? How does that make ANY sense?! You can open ONE of them, but all? No... how am I supposed to transport 6 open juice boxes?

So instead I got a pat down because ****IT I was informed I could bring them. (My DH wss pissed! He wanted me to toss them. Screw that- it was like $6 of organic special juice!) Then when the gal patting me down had something weird on her gloves ("This is the third time today I've had the alarm go off... I think it's my lotion or something." Great, thanks.) So then I had to have a SECOND patdown. All for sealed juice boxes.

And for this reason, I've flat out told my manager and the dept head that I'm not traveling until Ingrid is nursing less. The idea of having to transport bags or bottles of milk back sounds like a nightmare. I probably wouldn't even attempt to bring my electric pump, but I still don't want to hand pump for 24 hours.

I can't believe (ok, I CAN) that they came after you in the bathroom! I've totally had "intestinal distress" after eating airport nachos and was probably gone for at least 10 min. You know, because I was pooping! People can't poop for that long? What if I had a kid with me that needed to go too or a baby with a blowout diaper? It takes time.

The absurdity of all these "safety" measures makes me crazy. It mostly feels like an invasion of privacy and military state to put people through these crazy measures instead of using an ounce of logic.

UTexas- I would have probably offered to fire up the pump right then and there in the security line to prove it just to shut them the hell up. Don't believe it's a pump? Ok, here's my nipple and the flanges and bottle and SEE... pump goes on, milk comes out. Want to test the liquid to make sure I'm not storing liquid nitrogen in my mammary glands?!?!
ThaiSpice, MsRK, nameetog and 1 others like this.

September 25th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBean View Post
UTexas- I would have probably offered to fire up the pump right then and there in the security line to prove it just to shut them the hell up. Don't believe it's a pump? Ok, here's my nipple and the flanges and bottle and SEE... pump goes on, milk comes out. Want to test the liquid to make sure I'm not storing liquid nitrogen in my mammary glands?!?!
LOL...I was thinking the same thing. Shall I demonstrate? Crazy folks.
utexas10 and MsRK like this.

September 25th, 2013, 12:02 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whose job is it to time people that go in the restroom?
Sneetch, MsRK and nameetog like this.

September 25th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiSpice View Post
LOL...I was thinking the same thing. Shall I demonstrate? Crazy folks.
I seriously thought about it but I was afraid they wouldnt let me fly at all and I would have to drive the 8 hours back.
September 25th, 2013, 12:48 PM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas10 View Post
They were not embarrassed and the story got worse. I went to the family restroom to pump and apparently they thought I had been in there too long so someone sent the airport police after me. They banged on the door and loudly ordered me to vacate the bathroom immediately. After putting my shirt back on, I walked out and the 50 people sitting near the restroom were staring at me. They once again made me go answer questions and then they ran my breastpump through the scanner again.
This whole thing is horrible and I'm sorry to hear you had such a horrible bullied experience. I would have come out of the bathroom pump still attached had they done that to me.

September 25th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen747 View Post
Whose job is it to time people that go in the restroom?
I was wondering the same thing!
September 26th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Super Mommy
Back at the airport. Let's see how today goes.
MaineBean likes this.
September 26th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Good luck lady!
September 26th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Hope it goes well!

September 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Super Mommy
No problems today! Yay!!
MaineBean and MsRK like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search