Exhausted! Need advice...

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2013, 05:28 AM
Excited first time mommy!
So Dylan used to be a great sleeper. I would put him down at 8pm after an 8oz bottle and he would sleep through the night until around 7am.

First it started with him getting up at 5am wanting a bottle.

Now he's getting up at 1am, 3am, then 7am. Each time he will suck down a 6oz bottle and go back to bed. I miss sleep!

I've tried keeping him awake for his last nap, feeding him an extra feeding of solids/bottle, giving him motrin in case it was his teeth, putting him down later... Last night when he woke up at 1am he was so upset it took me quite a while to calm him down before he would even take his bottle.

When I put him to bed I "burrito" him, which means wrap him in a blanket so he feels secure. He's always liked to be snuggled. Last night I gave in and held in my bed him hoping he would sleep longer while I held him and he did, but only by an hour.

This all started at 6 months. I've tried to let him cry it out, but he just gets even more upset. I've also tried just rocking him back to sleep, but he clearly is hungry. I've even taken my daycare lady's suggestion of feeding him some formula/rice mixture along with his bottle/solids before bed.

Is there something I'm missing? Maybe something I'm doing wrong during the day?? Why is he so hungry? Is this just a growth spurt that I have to ride out and he will go back to sleeping through the night?

Thanks for reading!
October 21st, 2013, 09:23 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Sounds like a growth spurt that he just needs to get through. Cereal also doesn't fill them up and make them sleep any longer just as an FYI. I would just continue to offer him a bottle each time he wakes up. He will eventually sleep longer stretches again.

October 21st, 2013, 02:24 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, when I was reading through your post, I was thinking growth spurt. There's usually one around 6 months. Hopefully if that's the case it'll resolve soon!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

October 21st, 2013, 03:29 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Sounds like a growth spurt as well.

The cereal may actually upset his stomach, causing him to wake more.

We've been dealing with this since 3mos ... she is up at least 2x per night.

Maybe try un-swaddling him?

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

October 22nd, 2013, 06:49 AM
Excited first time mommy!
I was given advice to not offer him a bottle when he woke and just rock him back to sleep and last night, he got up twice and fell asleep with just his paci and some mommy cuddles. Hopefully now that he's not getting a bottle he will be less likely to wake.

Missa, he ate a lot of the formula/rice mixture last night and woke with a terrible tummy ache and I had to do the gas dance (hold him on his left side, bounce and massage his tummy). Maybe I'll cut back on that, thanks for the advice!

I was given advice to not offer him a bottle when he woke and just rock him back to sleep and last night, he got up twice and fell asleep with just his paci and some mommy cuddles. Hopefully now that he's not getting a bottle he will be less likely to wake.

Missa, he ate a lot of the formula/rice mixture last night and woke with a terrible tummy ache and I had to do the gas dance (hold him on his left side, bounce and massage his tummy). Maybe I'll cut back on that, thanks for the advice!
October 22nd, 2013, 07:55 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh that's great that the rocking him back to sleep is working. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that he starts sleeping through the night again.

Could he be waking up because he has teeth coming in and is hurting? Darion has been doing this the last few nights and I just snuggle with him until he calms down and we can put him back in bed. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes. I give him his teether toy to chomp on for a bit too.

In any event I'm glad that things are looking up! I hope it continues!
dylans_mommy likes this.
October 23rd, 2013, 09:45 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Xavier has been doing the same thing for the last 1 - 1 1/2 months. He used to sleep through the night. Now he never does on nights before I have to work, and it's hit or miss the rest of the time. I'm hoping that once I'm not working and can have him on a normal schedule, he'll re-acclimate.
dylans_mommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search