JustAnotherMuslimah

Forum: Islamic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Islamic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2006, 09:39 AM
~FaRRaH~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~FaRRaH~
Asalam Alaikum Sister

You mentioned you were 14 at time of reverting and that you wear hijab, also I think you said you are shi'a.

My questions to you are:

What and how at 14 did you find Islam and decide at a young age to embrace Islam for you?

How did you come to wear hijab and what/ how did you change your normal "American" dress to fit Islam; as in I find it hard to adjust from wearing clothing I've always worn and struggle to find myself now as Muslim. I want to dress and have become more modest but still find it hard to completely change. How was it for you and what would you consider your everyday wear now?

And, how do Shi'a beliefs differ from Sunni?

Sorry if I offend you in any way or got any information incorrect. Thank you for even considering my questions for you. JazakAllah

Mais Salaam

Islam Jr. 09-20-2003 * Sumaiya-Alee 09-07-2007 * Angel Baby 01-08-2010
February 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wa alaikom salaam.

I will answer your questions inshaAllah. I am a little busy til the 10th, but I'll try to come back and post as soon as I get a chance.

I don't want ya to think I've forgotten yah.

So Crunchy
February 5th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Assalamu alaikom,

Okay, I have some time now. Friday-Monday I am usually not online much because they're husbands days off. Then, now is Muharram and the first 10 days are really busy for mourning. Infact usually all of the month of Muharram and Safar.

Did you read my convert story? http://littlepeaches.blogspot.com/2005/12/...vert-story.html

Basically, before 9-11 I had been reading and looking into a lot of religions trying to find what I thought was the truth. I stayed really into Judeo-Christian sects/demonations. Then 9-11 happend and I started to study about Islam. Islam instantly made sense to me. I already didn't believe in the trinity, original sin, and the usual christian beliefs that I found disturbing. I know it sounds weird, because you don't usually find 13 year olds in the library researching religion, but I always been ahead of the game so to speak. My best example of that is potty training myself. I guess it helped that my mom and sister never shut the door. There are alot of other young ppl I know that have converted. The youngest girl I met (on the phone) was 12 years old. She was a veryyy smart girl from Hawai. I converted on the phone w/a brother from Islamicity.com. I was the first person to take shahadah with them and whenn I talked to him last (about 2 yrs ago). He said nearly 400ppl have since converted. I used to talk to them, especially the other teens and stuff. It was really nice.

I started wearing hijab about a year after I became Muslim. After I learned alot more and become more spirtually attached so to speak, I felt very guilty and ashamed not to wear it. I also felt like living in Missouri whre there were no muslims that I should reach out more, but only my friends new I was Muslim. So, anyway, I startd to wear hijab. I only had like 3 square scarves. I wore pants and a sweater that was a bit long everday since I only had like one long sleeve shirt. I basically wore everday clothes that werent that modest. Sometimes, I still wore make up and sometimes I didn't. Over the next few months I wore hijabmost of the time but a few times I was unable to due to the ppl I was living with. Then, I started to get more serious. I stopped wearing make up. I started to put my scarf to wear it covered my chest. I started to become aware of the colors I wore. Then a few months before I turned 16 I started to wear abayahs full time. I started to wear niqab (face veil) in December 04 all the time except work. Before that I had worn it only for protests, parties when I had make up on and need to cover infront of nonmahrams, and things like that. In April of 05 I left my partime job and so ssince then I been niqabi. I do it out of recommendation, not the belief that it is obligatory.

For me, it was after reading alot about hijab that I started to change. It didn't happen over night. It took some time. Then, I thought about my reasons for not wearing hijab. Did I want a man's attention? Did I want to show other women I looked better then them? Did I just have a low self esteem that make up seemed to make me feel better? As I grew in Islam, my hijab sort of grew along with it.

When I go out I either wear an abayah like this:

With a triangle or square scarf and niqab:

Or I wear a khimar like this with a skirt:

I don't always wear black. I wear white, tan, green, dark purple, blue, brown, grey. In the summer time, I wear sleeveless cotton dresses with extra long cotton hijabs that sort of wrap around me. It covers my arms and I stay nice and cool.

So Crunchy
February 5th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I wear these too:

It is the over head abayah. I have some that are open down the front and others that have tiny buttons. I have 2 different ones. Then, I have 2 of the same style (shapless - arms arent fitted) that go on the shoulder.

I also like to wear chador (the irani style not the pakistani style).

The chador is the outer garment that hangs down. It is basically a half circle of sorts. I put elastic on mine to keep it from falling although alot of women don't. This chador is mostly an Irani thing. Alot of women just wear a skirt and blouse underneath and hold it shut. It takes some practise, patience, and skill to work it. I use a colorful one for prayer. I pin it though. Alot of Irani women can pray with no scarf, shortsleeves, and prob even shorts and use this cloth WITHOUT any pins. However they do it... I dunno.

I don't know if you work or not, but if you want a more modern or western style, I suggest wearing abayahs that are slit up the sides to about the knee with matching pants. They are suit like. Or, you can wear an asort ment of knee length jackets. Long tunics with loose pants or a skirt and hijab. This is nice:

just stick your hair in though.

There alot cool ways to pin your scarf. There alot of style options. Usually, you can find western styles from Iran and Turkey.

I will make another thread on Shia/Sunni. It prob needs one of its own.

I hope I haven't been too long I wanted to cover everything.

So Crunchy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search