I finally made the leap!

Forum: Islamic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Islamic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM
~FaRRaH~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~FaRRaH~
Asalam Alaikum

I finally made the leap, today I called the county and informed them of our desire to homeschool Islam. I am being sent all the neccassary paper work, decision time. I have been on the fence for so long never commiting to homeschooling. I am afraid of failling him. I dont want to screw this up, however DH and I are planning to return to Egypt next year and then a light bulb went off today. I call DH and said we cant go to Egypt, he said WHY??? I'm like Islam will be in school remember (which was always his choice, he is worried that it will be too much work and stress to me to take on so much). At that point he said he really wants to be in Egypt for his brother's wedding and maybe we should commit to homeschool at least for now and see how he does after that year. So I made a few calls and got intouch with the state and made it official.
I think homeschool makes SO MUCH sense for our family. Aside from traveling to Egypt DH T-Sun 9:30am - 11pm-1am... with his only day off being mondays and every other sun I fear his time with Islam would be nothing. What is 2 sundays a month and 3.5 hours every monday??? This way they can go to work together, have boy time and still get his schooling done, as well as going to Egypt and so much more. I am excited and nervous too.

Islam Jr. 09-20-2003 * Sumaiya-Alee 09-07-2007 * Angel Baby 01-08-2010
April 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wa alaikum salam,

I'm sure you'll do great! The fact that you're worried about your ability shows that you're really going to try. It's the women that are 110% sure of themselves that homeschool their kids so poorly they don't stand a chance at testing at their grade level. It takes time, effort, commitment, etc. Of course you know that. I'm still on the fence myself. At least one of us took the plunge!

April 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wa alaikum salam,

I'm sure you'll do great! The fact that you're worried about your ability shows that you're really going to try. It's the women that are 110% sure of themselves that homeschool their kids so poorly they don't stand a chance at testing at their grade level. It takes time, effort, commitment, etc. Of course you know that. I'm still on the fence myself. At least one of us took the plunge!

April 16th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks. I am going to try like you said and see where he is testing at the end of the year (2010 school year) and make decisions forward based on that. My biggest obstacle right now mentally is teaching hime to read. InshAllah things will progress well.

What made you consider homeschooling your DD?

April 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They're having some major trouble with bullying in the district. Moving her to a different class temporarily solved part of the problem, but not all of it. Kids have intentionally torn her things, tripped her, she was punched in the face by one boy (hence switching classes), etc. They aren't actually punishing the bullies, they just don't let them get a prize at the end of the week. As if a broken 10 cent toy is going to inspire them to behave better. They also have the elementary students start an hour before the middle and high school students so she is having trouble physically handling it. I have her go to bed by 7pm most nights and she still doesn't get enough sleep. She needs either 12 hours or a nap in the afternoon and she has too much homework for a nap now.

I'm going to try teaching her over the summer and if that goes well I'm going to pull her before school starts again. It'll be a nice trial period. I really hope it goes well though, I don't like this school at all. It's the best one in the district though.

Last edited by MamaAnna; April 16th, 2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Double post within post.
April 19th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Well I spoke to the liason for the county homeschoolers and there is a form you need to summit 15 days before school begins if you choose to pull her out. I am sorry she has been having so much trouble inshAllah it will help her to spend some time at home restoring her confidence. Hang in there.... We could probably share ideas and do it together since the kids are the same age??

April 19th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I knew about the form and time constraint. I just haven't found the contact information yet. It'd be great to have somebody to basically do this with. I just don't want to send her back to that school. She'll miss her friends, but I'm just afraid to have her there.

April 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Oh I totally dont blame you. That would be nuts. The number for Baltimore County is 410-887-2896 maybe Mrs. Francine Schaffer could give you your county info.

April 19th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! I'll definitely check it out. DD has even said she's fine with me being her teacher and not going to that school next year. Since she loves school so much that speaks volumes about the trouble she's been having.

April 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Islam is the same way. He isnt even interested in school at all, he wants me to teach him. He said " I dont want to go to school."
So, I am going to start preparing everything, files folders, work area, etc and get things in place including a curriculm so that we are ready to go in Sept. Sept is going to be busy I have to start school plus Sumaiya's birthday, Islam's birthday and Eid Fitr. Need to be ready if I plan on carrying in out with all that. LOL

April 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to start getting stuff around as well. She actually asked me last night if she could not go anymore. This school is killing her love of school and that should never happen. I'm going to have her finish out the year since it's so close to over, but I know it can't happen soon enough for her.

ETA: I called the number you gave me and she gave me the number for our local contact. Yay!

Last edited by MamaAnna; April 20th, 2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: ETA
April 21st, 2009, 04:48 PM
GREAT! I am glad it helped. We filled out the form and I need to mail it in tomorrow. Now the the decision is made I feel better a bit, now I know what I have to do.

April 21st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They're getting all the stuff including the form ready to send to me. Hopefully I'll feel a bit better too in a few days. This is a lot more stressful than I thought it'd be!

April 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Assalamu alaykum,
I think it's great you both are going to homeschool. Inshallah it'll be easy for you both. There are lots of things available there to do it so stick with it and don't chicken out before you start. Once you get going, you'll be fine inshallah. Isn't there a homeschooling board here?

your sister,
Krista
April 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wa alaikum salam,

There is a homeschooling board under the Education boards. They've already been really helpful and will continue to be. Also, I found an easy way to get to the city park so I can take the kids a lot for outdoor lessons and stuff when it stops raining all the time. They even have a couple of museums there and a massive pond full of fish and water-fowl which should provide some great learning opportunities.

April 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
I have been looking for a local homeschool group to join as well. There is one that meets at the local library I have to figure out when and how to get in touch. I have looked online but it has been impossible to find anything.

You know Anna that is exactly how I feel about trip to Egypt being a great learning experience. Life lessons, language, culture just so much that they would miss out on being in a class room.

April 23rd, 2009, 03:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Even the grocery store can be a lesson. You have the different food groups, prices, shapes, etc. People just don't see it anymore.

April 23rd, 2009, 04:39 AM
We watched Oprah together yesterday so that my son could the devastation we are doing to the planet by not being concious about how we live. He was applaud, he ran straight to his father and told him to stop throwing cigarettes and thrash in the street cause the animals are dying in the ocean. He also said he needs to go back to Egypt and tell everyone not to throw trash out on the street anymore. (Egypt has a HUGE problem with trash, people throw everything and anything out on the road... people gather it up and burn piles of trash... the vapors, the smell, the chemicals released in the air is absolutely sickening in itself)

The grocery store is also a great oppurtunity to teach a new language... we use it to teach names of new foods in arabic to the kids and me LOL

April 23rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you have anything you use to help teach Arabic? I'm not sure how to begin that since it's my weakest area. DH tries, but it's a hard thing for him to simplify.

April 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Actually I dont, we teach through use. As I learn a new word usually from DH and listening to him talk to his family, we incorporate it into our daily talk. Sorry I havent found any text book way yet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search