Need some suggestions

Forum: Islamic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Islamic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
jacquelinejoy's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm gonna say i'm new to this group. Not new to JM but I might have posted once or twice on the forum a long time ago. MY name is Jacqueline and I have two boys, an almost 4 years old and youngest just turned one.

My concern today is about my one year old. From birth, he has been a high needs baby. To this day, he is very clingy, more so than normal. He cries or fusses most of the day. He could be completely happy playing with his older brother and if I even make eye contact with him or walk past him, he starts whinning or grabs onto my pants etc. etc. etc.

MY problem is with bedtime. We cosleep becasue every other sleep situation did not work with him. I don't believe in CIO but on the rare occassion he was in his crib by himself he starts eating the wood on the crib. If he does start to cry, he gets so worked up that he immediately starts gagging before i even get to him. So our sleep situation is that we sidecar his crib which he will not sleep in by the way and thus I call my butt bed because I end up sleeping halfway in his crib while he sprawls out on our bed.

Ok, long story here, sorry BUT... for the longest time, the only way he will go to sleep is by being rocked. We don't have a rocking chair and dH refuses to buy one so i have an infant/toddler rocker that i put him in and he rocks in that and falls asleep to ELMO which is the embarassing part. I don't want him to fall asleep this way but without t.v. he screams and fights his way out of the chair. I have tried putting him in the rocking chair and rocking him while i read to him and that just makes him even more mad. I feel like I have tried eveyrhitng. I've even tried laying in the bed with him to get him to sleep and he just wants to play and walk around and then tries to get down. He doesn't oversleep so i know it's not because he's not tired. He's just difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry this is so long, it's kind of a vent also.
TIA

September 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Feel free to vent all you like!

The thing you mentioned that really got my attention was chewing on his crib. Is it possible he's cutting teeth? My oldest would ONLY teethe on her crib for the longest time to the point that we replaced it because she took chunks out of it. If he's uncomfortable that would explain part of his sleeping problems.

Don't be embarrassed that he only falls asleep to Elmo. My oldest would only go to sleep if I had a Barry Manilow CD playing and my son would only go to sleep to certain songs by Michael Jackson. They did grow out of it eventually, but at the time they were getting the sleep that they needed. Maybe you could try rocking him to Elmo and slowly moving further from the TV or gradually playing it lower each night until he starts dozing off without it.

It sounds like he's really keeping your hands full. I'm sorry that I can't offer better advice. Insha'Allah one of the other ladies will be able to be of more help.

September 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
~FaRRaH~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~FaRRaH~
Welcome Jacqueline!
Has your son ever been testing for autism? He sounds like he has a lot of the symptoms, inshAllah its not however it may be worth tring to speak to your pediatrian about this. I know that every chils different Allah knows mine DD is way different than my son and has spent many nights in bed even needed a carrier to help her with wanting to wi me so much. I tell you what I think you are doing an awesome job, for one you know his likes and dislikes, you know what works and doesnt work so I think that is step one. As for the rest I say you do what works for now and pray that inshAllah he gets easier to handle as he gets older. T&Ps are with you and your goregous children!!

Islam Jr. 09-20-2003 * Sumaiya-Alee 09-07-2007 * Angel Baby 01-08-2010
September 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
jacquelinejoy's Avatar Super Mommy
THanks so much for the support. Hearing your words was just what I needed to get though another day and stay sane. I know it won't last forever and I just have to keep telling myself that.

September 3rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You're sane? How'd you manage that? I lost my sanity about 6 years ago.

September 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
~FaRRaH~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~FaRRaH~
Omgosh are you ever sane?? SubhanAllah I'm glad we could help.. I hope you stick around I would love to get to know you and hear more about the wonderful kids.

Islam Jr. 09-20-2003 * Sumaiya-Alee 09-07-2007 * Angel Baby 01-08-2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search