Qotd 3.28.10

Forum: Islamic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Islamic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2010, 05:33 AM
~FaRRaH~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~FaRRaH~
Do you think the hijab has become more of a cultural thing or is it still religious?

Islam Jr. 09-20-2003 * Sumaiya-Alee 09-07-2007 * Angel Baby 01-08-2010
March 28th, 2010, 07:11 AM
adam*s_mami's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ahha good question.....def still religious its part of our religion its wajib but that being said I think in this day and age there are so many ppl that dont wear it or if they do they dont represent it well, for example there are a few girls in Dearborn that wear hijab and go to clubs with it on where there is alcohol and stuff it is unbelievable!!!! And they post their pics on facebook and whatnot its so crazy, and I say I am noone to judge its not my place but i just feel like take it off you know you are not representing our religion the right way, or they wear so much makeup and glittery florescent color scarves and the tightest clothes ever but as long as they wear long sleeves under their corsets its ok and Im not exaggerating...and the funniest thing is these girls are the first to cast the first stone on girls that dont wear hijab but are in fact very good girls...it makes me sick that we have this stuff going on over here, I know this is long but I am passionate about this topic...

March 28th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Oh I am too Kareema, the girls in Egypt are the same way... They wear the scarf 1 day to match an outfit and the next without it, the scarfs are an asessory(sp) I am so tired of the tight clothes, the sleeve covers (like you said) and the scarf like it makes a difference. The men are becoming like dogs chasing the girls because the scarf has done nothing to guard their beauty since the makeup, perfume (OMG seriously enough to gag a Freakin horse.. another issue lol) and the tight clothes. I seriously think far too many wear the scarf these days and totally misrepresent the religion. In fact we were doing homeschool and the new SIL is one of those today the scarf is on tomorrow not so anyways DH said go ahead ask him (lil Islam) anything about Islam and she said I better not I dont know much at all. I thought that is the problem with Islamic countries they are not learning about why they should be wearing the scarf. I could go on and on..... grrrrrrrrrrr

March 28th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The reasons you both stated are why I think it's more cultural now. It's no longer viewed as a part of being modest, but as an accessory, something that's based in certain areas, or an act of oppression. In reality it is a very religious thing and not something that you should start and stop. If you aren't going to wear it properly and dress properly along with it then just don't wear it. We've seen women with their clothes dragging along the ground being shredded, women in tight clothes, shorts, etc. but they act like it's okay as long as they wear a headscarf. It should be all or nothing, not an on/off or half-effort thing.

March 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM
aHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, exactly!!!!!!!! I think we all agree,

March 29th, 2010, 06:39 AM
adam*s_mami's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes def. !!!!

March 29th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, so the next time you see your SIL you should flick her nose.

March 29th, 2010, 09:23 PM
shilo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm for me I don't think it's a cultural thing, I guess because I'm a convert so it isn't my culture, it's solely for my religion. But I have run into some people who seem to think of it that way. I would say most of the converts I know definitely wear it for religious reasons, but some (not all certainly!) who are born into a muslim family consider it more part of their cultural identity than as a modest dress or religious thing. And some who consider it a cultural artifact rather than religious reject it as to them it represents something else.

Last edited by shilo; March 29th, 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search