Qotd 3.30.10

Forum: Islamic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Islamic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM
~FaRRaH~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~FaRRaH~
Ok we discussed hijabs, now what do you think about wearing a spaghetti strap tank as long as you wear a body shirt (spandex crop turtle neck, long sleeve) under the tank??

Ladies the youth has gotten lost... in Egypt the girls are wearing tons of makeup, tight little shirts with the body shirt under it and tight jeans and rider boots, etc.. the fashion is as modern as here except the religious side is missing...

Islam Jr. 09-20-2003 * Sumaiya-Alee 09-07-2007 * Angel Baby 01-08-2010
March 31st, 2010, 06:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Again I think it's an all or nothing thing. If you're going to wear a spaghetti strap tank a long sleeve shirt underneath is going to do nothing for your modesty. How many women honestly believe it's the arms a guy is going to be staring at in a skin tight shirt? If you're going to dress modestly then do it properly or don't bother because all you're doing is setting a bad example.

March 31st, 2010, 06:24 AM
Oh I think the same and thought the answer would be a lot the same just thought I'd ask anyways...

March 31st, 2010, 08:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's a good set of questions.

March 31st, 2010, 08:58 AM
adam*s_mami's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes that is what annoys me its purpose is to draw attention away from beauty and mmale attention only to protect women, but whats the point with all the other junk its just a 2nd skin hence the name skin tight clothing, I dont wear hijab but I rarely show my arms never cleavage or legs, I mean to each their own though it just makes me mad because is makes our religion look really hypocritical....women should respect themselves no matter what religion

March 31st, 2010, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't wear hijab either. I feel like until I can dress modestly every day that I shouldn't take such a big step forward when my other foot is stuck in place. Right now I can go through 3+ outfits a day with the help of the kids so I'm running out with what I already have. I do wear long pants outside and try to keep my arms covered. I also wear higher necks and keep things that are tight/short/whatever for in the house. Hopefully I can get things replaced before I die of old age, it's something I've actually been looking forward to quite a bit as much as I hate shopping.

March 31st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Yeah I am with you both, no hijab but observe modesty as much as possible.. like you both said higher necklines, pants or floor length jean skirt and leave the shorts and tighter shirt for in the house... I am right there with you Anna as I replace things I try to adhere more and more to modesty with longer length sleeves and loose shape.

April 1st, 2010, 06:13 AM
adam*s_mami's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am stuck in pjs or sweats all the time so I really have no prob being modest as the present time loooollll

April 1st, 2010, 04:48 PM
lolllll that is the best outfit anyways!!

April 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM
shilo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, obviously a skintight anything like a tank top even over the top doesn't really qualify because it highlights the shape of what you are supposed to be concealing. I don't really think it's "all or nothing" per se... I think any step in the right direction is a positive step. If its a young teenager who feels uncomfortable at first, in a turtleneck, jeans, and a scarf (which I've seen, yes), well... at least she feels like going that far. Or a new convert who does not have or can't afford a wardrobe overhaul... you make do with a scarf and as loose or covering garments as you do have (and generally a lot of other sisters will also be happy to give some from what I've seen if somebody does not have the clothes).

In terms of dressing modestly... I do get this counter that you have mentioned from non-muslim women as well. When I tell them it is for modest, they say well I am wearing loose long sleeves, and not revealing clothing... do you think I am immodest? I think it's important to remember that in addition to reasons of modesty and obeying Allah, wearing the hijab is also important because it shows other people what your intentions are and that you choose not to show them your body because you are muslim, and you want their respect for that. And people do give it and treat you differently because of it in a good way more so than the few who will be harassing. One of the verses about hijab is "O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them. That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful." So it's not *only* about not showing off the curves, it's also to be recognized as muslims, as someone who is not trying to attract you or flirt with you, who wants to be known for the head and the heart not the body.

And I can testify there is a big difference in the way people treat you in that respect in hijab as well... I was never an "immodest" dresser before I converted to islam nor did I try to attract people's attention or flirt, but after I started wearing hijab many people actually started treating me as an intelligent person and giving me a token of respect even if they weren't of my beliefs, and I definitely got less "annoyance" from guys.

Last edited by shilo; April 8th, 2010 at 01:29 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search