Islamic Books for Small Children

Forum: Islamic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Islamic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2012, 01:57 PM
shilo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Assalamou alaikum everybody I would like to share ideas about the best muslim children's books! This is one I got recently:

"What do we say?"
http://www.amazon.com/What-Do-We-Say...2362611&sr=1-5

While this is a nice intro and it introduces some phrases that my son is starting to learn (Alhamdullilah, Insha'allah, etc) as well as some I don't typically use a lot, I think it might be best for a slightly younger child, say 1-2. He is 3 and I think he could go for a little more "story" at this point rather than the writing style of this book. The pictures are cute though.

I also ordered this book:

Traveling Man: The story of Ibn Battuta
Amazon.com: Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta 1325-1354 (9780618432332): James Rumford: Books

It's a very nicely made book, nice illustrations and good story (and very interesting story if you are familiar with Ibn Battuta, who was a real life muslim explorer, but simplified into a picture book for children!) It would also be suitable for a slightly older child and was enjoyable for me to look at too because of the nice pictures. My son liked following the "road" through the book.

I also ordered this book:

Stories of the Prophets
Amazon.com: Stories of the Prophets in the Holy Qu'ran (9781597841337): Shahada Sharelle Haqq: Books

Despite the fact that one of the reviewers said he purchased it for a three year old, the stories in my opinion are two advanced for enjoyment or understanding at this age. It has (in english) stories of all the prophets from the Quran. I quickly determined that it was too advanced for my son so I haven't read it all yet, I think it would be good for an older child who was old enough to read and understand it on their own and understand difficult concepts (maybe 10+). The illustrations (though they don't include people) are very lush and colorful.

I would love to hear your favorite muslim books for kids! I am looking for stories and books for my son that are about muslims and make basic concepts like praying, looking forward to eid, etc familiar and normal to him outside being just something mommy does, as we don't really have many other muslims in our lives unfortunately! Although he is 3 please feel free to mention books for any age kids (with age recommendations) so we can all benefit

I am especially looking for books that have nice pictures (beautiful drawings or even photos), along with a nice story or interesting text, I have to say the very limited islamic "kids books" that I've seen locally don't have very good illustrations (or writing), so I'm pretty much buying online and it can be hard to determine what the inside will be like.

Interestingly, one of my son's favorite books about Islam has been this one which I got at a national geographic sale a year or so ago, he frequently requests it: Celebrate Ramadan & Eid Al-Fitr - Hardcover - National Geographic Store

April 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Does anybody else have some good Islamic children's books they would recommend, or ones to avoid? Do you have a hard time finding them where you live?

June 9th, 2012, 07:49 AM
~FaRRaH~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~FaRRaH~
I have found quite a few, islamic bookstore . com is local to me and has a wonderful selection. we have Qur'an stories, Basics of Islam (which is a series and gets more in depth as it goes) there are also some wonderful apps for IPAD like Kids-Dua, Hijaiya (teaches the alphabet and the sounds the letters make with each accent)..
Alhumdulillah, it is wonderful to see you here.. I am so excited that you and your son are doing well.

Islam Jr. 09-20-2003 * Sumaiya-Alee 09-07-2007 * Angel Baby 01-08-2010
June 10th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks Farrah! I don't have an ipad and my son is still a bit young for the computer resources, but I am still on the lookout for good kids books. It would be great to have a local store to "browse before you buy" since it's hard to tell with kids books if they'll really bear repeat reading, if you don't look at them first.

I got two other books by the same author (J. Samia Mair) recently that I really like:

Amira's Totally Chocolate World
Amazon.com: Amira's Totally Chocolate World (9780860374084): J. Samia Mair: Books

The Perfect Gift
Amazon.com: The Perfect Gift (9780860374381): J. Samia Mair: Books

One of the things I liked about these books that seems hard to find with Islamic kids books is, they're not "teaching" books about this and that in Islam. They each have a story with characters, it has tie-ins to Islam (each story takes place on one of the Eid's) but it's not about how they go to the mosque, do the 5 prayers, (insert other instructional material about Islam). Instead, they just feature ordinary muslims and they each have an independent storyline that just "happens" to tie in with a FEW islamic concepts. I like the illustrations a bit better on Amira's totally chocolate world, but both are nice. In "The Perfect Gift" the family lives in a cabin in the woods and goes out for a walk on Eid morning, which reminded me a lot of where I grew up (which my son also loves to visit). The writing is a bit clunky in places but it's still way improved over a lot of Islamic kids' books I've seen, and they have unique storylines, nice colorful illustrations, and people with faces (I am really not a fan of the faceless people kid's books or no pictures... when I was a kid of my son's age the pictures were so important!)

January 22nd, 2015, 01:25 AM
There are various online stores which provide islamic books for children. These islamic story books help children achieve a better understanding of the islam religion and its values. These online stores also provide various books that can help a person to learn arabic conveniently.
February 4th, 2015, 04:57 AM
do you need arabic books for children's ? Tell me if you need

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search