Mama's with preschool /school age children ?? gotta question for ya

Forum: Islamic Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Islamic Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2012, 12:23 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Do any of you mammas have children in preschool or school in general? I know there are some states that have islamic schools which my older kids did go to and also spent a few years overseas at private schooling as well, but then for high school went to public schools in the states.

So, my question is now that I will be having my younger children that will be attending public school in mid Jan. how did you all manage that? The lunch thing with non halal food? Is there vegitarian? or do you just send lunch from home? What about class participation in Holiday events and school holiday programs that involve the students?

Im looking forward to them interacting with children of all faiths. Its great chance to familiar with life in general and we should respect ( which is something we are currently working on with DS4 another post loool ) others beliefs and way of living. Im just not experienced with how to handle it with the young children.

ooh BTW 3 of my children are currently attending school here in Saudia so they are familiar with a school enviroment, except the baby of course

Last edited by AmiraX4; November 27th, 2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add BTW
November 28th, 2012, 01:20 AM
shilo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have my son in a preschool/daycare type place now and this has come up... not happy with it and actually looking for another place. In my case I discussed these issues in advance with the owner and was assured that it wouldn't be a problem. But, later I found they basically tell me one thing and it's handled differently. For example: Most places for younger kids let you specify food or allergy situations, so you can indicate that, in my case no pork obviously, no unidentified "meat" or gelatin or alcohol in ingredients (it turns up in the oddest things). We eat "nonhalal" beef, etc. Vegetarians are very common here so I think that would work if you want to go that way, there are also kids who are allergic to dairy, etc. (however honestly the vegetarian food content provided is often very unbalanced, as in rather than providing complete healthy meals which could easily be done vegetarian, they just remove the meat part and you end up with a not very nutritious meal). The problem in our case is my son ends up telling me later that they told him he couldn't have things which I said were okay... e.g. they serve a beef dish and they tell him he can just have a piece of bread.

Likewise, the holiday situation. They started out saying they did not do religious holidays at all, just seasonal stuff. At preschool age, there are lots of crafts projects and so on which frequently revolve around holidays. I find out much later into it they have halloween parties with costumes, christmas decorations, santa claus, easter eggs, etc. My son came home the other day singing "we wish you a merry christmas." Now, if I had him in a private home I wouldn't have as much trouble with holidays (we know people of many religions as well as a lot of "celebrating" atheists) but I do not like it when it's a school which tells me they don't do these and then it turns out they do. Also I get fairly mixed answers when I try to ask them about what kind of activities are actually upcoming, they tell me one thing then something else happens. Their last response was "oh, so you want us to separate him to do something else when we are doing christmas activites, we can do that." Personally I don't think that's a good way of dealing with it, it just makes kids feel excluded.

This isn't my only objection with the place, we've had several other issues, to which their response seems geared towards the, "we understand if you want to leave" end of things.

I know levels of comfort with holiday stuff varies enormously amongst muslims (at least where I live here) so it's a touchy area. There are islamic schools but no full day preschool for his age, and I couldn't find a muslim daycare or even home provider that worked out. Currently looking for another home daycare (we had him with a non-muslim home daycare for several years which was just fine before having to transition to this one). For some reason I have an easier time with varying individual families beliefs than having something sanctioned by the school as "the norm". The daycare situation has been a big source of stress this year.

November 29th, 2012, 12:06 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
Sorry your dealing with this in such a difficult way. I really hope things will turn around for you and find another good place to put your little guy. The inconsistancy of that place is not acceptable.

Thank you for the insight its very helpful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search