Should I be concerned??

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Did my second beta draw this morning. Nurse called and said it was up to 3167 which was close to doubling from Wednesday (I think it would have doubled if it would have been exactly 48 hrs, but there was about a 3 hr difference). Anyway, she said this was good, but they wanted me to come for an ultrasound today just to see if we could see anything. I asked her if the doctor was worried about something. She said no just "because of my history" they wanted to do the u/s early.

Of course, I was super excited at the chance to see my little bean. So, went for the scan, and the US tech really wouldn't tell me anything. Got a call from one of my doctor's partners because she is on vacation (Of course!) to talk about the ultrasound.

She basically said they could only see a small sac, and they could see a fetal pole. She was reassuring that this was normal for being just 5 weeks. But then, she started talking about how she wants me to come in next Tuesday for more bloodwork and a repeat US. I told her I already have an appointment Wednesday to meet with the nurse and asked if we could do it all that day. Her reply was "Well, I just don't want you to have to go through all that with the nurse if you don't need to." WHAT?? Why would I not need to? If everything's normal, why would I "not need" that appointment? It seemed like she was suggesting something was wrong, but she wouldn't come out and say so. Then she went on to say if I start having bad cramps or bleeding over the weekend to call and ask for the doctor on call.

So, I am trying to be calm, but I feel like they think this pregnancy is already doomed. What do you all think? I feel like if I do another US next week and they still don't find something I will be super depressed, and maybe it would be better to wait until things progress more...
August 31st, 2012, 04:46 PM
McKendon's Avatar Veteran
Wow, I wish your Dr. could just come out and say what she was thinking instead of being so vague! I don't blame you for trying to read between the lines. Just try to relax for the next few days. Your bloodwork sounds normal and at 5 weeks they can't expect to see more than they did on the u/s. I am not having one until 8 weeks because the Dr. said if we did one now there would be nothing to see and no conclusions to draw from.
August 31st, 2012, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure everything is fine and there just being cautious kup x

August 31st, 2012, 04:57 PM
Veteran
It sounds like your #'s are great. As for your u/s, I think that' s what they would expect to see at 5 weeks. Try not to look too much into it until next week. They are probably just being cautious. Hang in there! I know it's easier said than done.

August 31st, 2012, 04:59 PM
BeccaC17's Avatar Super Mommy
Try not to worry, I know it can be really stressful. It seems like your numbers and what they saw on the ultrasound are completely normal. I had a really early ultrasound and they couldn't find anything. I thought I was doomed but it was just too early. My son is running around and causing chaos as I write this I will be thinking about you

September 1st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry, the nurses I have always talked to are incredibly rude about pregnancy. It's hard for them to see past the medicine and see the individual patient who is very much emotionally involved in the pregnancy.

That number sounds great and the double starts slowing when the numbers get higher, so try not to worry. I don't think they should do ultrasounds before 6.5 weeks, they just cause stress!

September 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Agree!
September 1st, 2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the support girls! Maybe I was just reading too much into what she was saying. I am just extra-sensitive after what happened last time. I'll keep ya updated on how everything pans out.
September 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM
LPNMOMMY84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ok wait. After the numbers hit 1000 they double more like every 72 hours. Also, I am JUST 5 weeks today and my number yesterday was 982, they said im right where I should be for my gestation. Your fine. Try not to fret ok.

Beta hCG Doubling Calculator | Countdown to Pregnancy

Hope this helps!

I had an ultrasound yesterday and all they saw was a gestational sac. I was 4 weeks 6 days and that is totally normal, so it sounds like what you saw is completely normal and great!
September 1st, 2012, 11:46 AM
Alison81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like everything is perfectly normal! I forget, but there's a certain number you have to reach before a heartbeat can be seen and normally you don't see anything on ultrasound until 5-6 weeks.

Thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my siggy!
September 2nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like Erica said, sometimes the early ultrasounds do more harm than good. It sounds like the parts that should be there are there. It's so early that there just isn't much to see yet. I hope that you will see a big change at your next appointment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search