Doula Services?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PurpleStar

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going with an all midwife practice this time as a hopeful VBAC patient. I plan for it to be just DH and I in the room this time. My question is--with a midwife do you think using a doula would be necessary or have any benefits? I know this time around I will need someone there to keep me focused on working through my contractions and not just giving into the pain. I need someone to keep me focused and also fight for me to not have unnecessary interventions or procedures, but with a midwife practice that's not as likely to happen as it did last time.
If any of you ladies have experience with doulas I'd love to hear. I'm not sure if it's worth the money since I'm going to have a midwife's model of care this time.
Also if some don't mind sharing how much your doula charged and what exactly they did pre and post labor, if anything, that's be great. I don't want to be overcharged.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

September 6th, 2012, 09:50 AM
iErica's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a close friend that had a midwife (hospital birth) and still had a doula, about 5 months ago And she said it was very worth it. Even though you have a midwife, it's unlikely they will remain with you throughout your entire birth. They still may need to attend to other things, and I don't think they'd be at your side the whole time. I think they would be more pro "birth", and that will help you. But if your birth is really important to you (and it sounds like it is), then I think a doula would benefit you.

The doula would be there the entire time, they could help be your advocate when you need one, and help get you through it.

If you're worried about cost, maybe you could try and find one that's in training? That's what my friend did. She only charged her a little bit, as she only had 4 births under her belt. But she still had super great luck with her, and she helped her tons.

“No one can know how much I love you, because you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.” ♥ (angel baby Oct. 2012, 10 weeks).
September 6th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Erica - Thanks so much for your feedback. Unfortunately I just got off the phone with my insurance company and found out that the all midwife practice I completely had my heart set on is out of network for us. I'm just heartbroken right now and not sure what directions to turn. Looks like I have a lot of research to do.

September 6th, 2012, 10:34 AM
LPNMOMMY84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, DONA Doula here! Regardless of who your practioner is and their credentials, a doula is totally worth it. They vastly improve the outcome of labor and birth, it also improves your perception of birth greatly. DH will be able to focus on you and the baby and the Doula will help you focus on your birth and help you get through the technical stuff. My HBMW is a Doula, she brings a second midwife AND a doula, even to the HB's. I had a doula at my MW attended vaginal birth in 07. The CNM didnt stay with me the entire time, nor did my NCB friendly RN. Shawn was there but had no clue really what to do. My doula held warm compresses to my perineum in between pushing/contractions while the MW stretched my perineum during pushing. I guess the point is, while MW are amazing, they are truly there for the technical aspect of your delivery. They can be extremely supportive, but the Doula is THERE FOR YOU!!!

oh hunny im so sorry

Did they give you list of midwifery practices that you can call? Try Ican if you havent checked them out yet. They may have some helpful suggestions.

Torre mom to 2 girls, wife to Shawn.
September 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Our local Ican only has one doctor listed and they're way too far of a drive. I'm very disappointed. I've left a voice message with a midwife who does hone births I spoke to a long time ago. Looks like we may be going that route afterall. The only things that make me nervous of a home birth is that I'm a VBAC patient and not having the option of an epidural if I am not able to handle the pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

September 6th, 2012, 10:28 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*lurking*

Hey Megan! Not sure with your insurance how they handle things, but have you tried doing a prior auth or some kind of admin review for an out-of-network provider? You may be able to submit it on your own or they may say you need a referral from your PCP or OB/GYNs office. Of course they could still deny your request BUT def not loosing out by asking, especially if it turned out for you!

Good luck! I know how much a VBAC means to you {{{HUGS}}} Sending you good juju!

Ps: just saw your other response...I hope I get to join! I just O'd, so only 2dpo but EDD would be 5/27ish :-) I SO miss chatting with you! I always appreciated your insight...this DDC is very lucky to have you! And thank you for thinking of me, I know I went MIA...but Im doing well now & have started coming back around! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see that bump grow!
Memi likes this.

*A BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my super fantastic siggy!!*

September 7th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Precious0013
I had a doula and I thought it was totally worth it. We had an insanely fast labor and she was really only there for about two hours, but still totally worth it. I had found a doula that was still in training so cost was on the low side and the day of labor I actually ended up with my backup doula but it all worked out beautifully.

THANK YOU .h00dihoo.this. for an AWESOME siggy
September 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
*lurking*

Hey Megan! Not sure with your insurance how they handle things, but have you tried doing a prior auth or some kind of admin review for an out-of-network provider? You may be able to submit it on your own or they may say you need a referral from your PCP or OB/GYNs office. Of course they could still deny your request BUT def not loosing out by asking, especially if it turned out for you!

Good luck! I know how much a VBAC means to you {{{HUGS}}} Sending you good juju!

Ps: just saw your other response...I hope I get to join! I just O'd, so only 2dpo but EDD would be 5/27ish :-) I SO miss chatting with you! I always appreciated your insight...this DDC is very lucky to have you! And thank you for thinking of me, I know I went MIA...but Im doing well now & have started coming back around! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see that bump grow!
Jeanette you're always so sweet! Miss chatting with you too hun! Send me a link to your chart to stalk I'm praying for you to get that BFP really quick so you can get in here and join me!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search