For those of us suffering from Nausea:

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2012, 06:31 AM
LPNMOMMY84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This came from my HBMW (she is my doula this time). It is a guide for expectant moms with nausea or vomitting. I hope this helps some of you!

MORNING SICKNESS AND NAUSEA

TAKE AS A SUPPLEMENT OR INCREASE DIETARY INTAKE OF:
Iron and vitamin B complex, poultry, eggs, dariy, whole grains, fish, dark green leafy vegetables, bananas, nuts, dried beans.

DIETARY CHANGES UNTIL DAILY NAUSEA SUBSIDES:
Eat often and slow, chew thoroughly
If nausea happens at a regular time, eat 30 minutes before that time.
Eat every 2 hours, small meals.
Eat dry food separate from liquid.
Increase fruits, vegetables, and unrefined carbohydrates.
Decrease fats, fatty food, dairy, sugar, spicy or greasy food.
Try very hot or very cold food.
Bland white food: rice, mashed potato, vanilla shakes, applesauce.
Eat crackers before you get out of bed.
Do not try to eat ANYTHING that doesn’t agree with you.
Don’t let your blood sugar get to low, put something in your mouth every hour.
Balance carbohydrates with protein.
Protein before bed.
1-2 grams of ginger tablets per day.
Day old plain popcorn unsalted.
Spirutein protein powder in anything is great.
Ginger Tea – raw ginger in boiling water steep ½ hour and add honey).
Ginger Beer from a healthfood store.
Peppermint and raspberry tea.
Sea bands.
Suck of chew on: peppermint leaves, cinnamon bark, lemon wedge, ginger root, slippery elm tablets.
Smell has a great effect, lemons, peppermint oil.

Teas: Anise or fennel seed, wild yam root, dried peach tree leaves, chamomile, rosemary, thyme, verbena, lavender, catnip, dandelion

Vitamin B6 25 mg twice a day

Take GTF Chromium(chromium picolinate), 1tab a day

Walk one mile every day

Open a window at night for fresh air

Avoid moving suddenly when getting out of bed

Stop taking prenatal vitamins or try 2 chewable children’s vitamins.

Eat real lemon, not the fake lemon juice. With my second pregnancy, I threw up to 26 weeks, and bizarrely, the only thing that consistently settled my stomach was lactose-free cow's milk. Avoid the trigger foods like coffee, onions, etc.

Keeping my blood sugar up in any way possible, lollipops, anything, helped. Super salty carbs (McDonalds fries were my go to meal on the days that I was vomiting more than usual, ok scratch that any day I was pukey). Carbonated water, there was something about being able burp often that was helpful.
A combination of Dramamine and zantac worked for me - it controlled my stomach acid to help with the nausea and Dramamine helped the vertigo that would come on when I would start vomiting. This combination was far more effective for me than Zofran (which made me so constipated and uncomfortable that I much rather puke 10x’s a day).
The last thing is when it was bad going to get fluids made a HUGE difference. Vomiting and nausea are a vicious cycle. Sometimes going to get fluids in the ER really pulls a momma out of that funk. I know I had moments where I could even really think, I thought I was fine and I was coping but once I got a couple bags of fluid I could actually think.
I know it really helped to talk to someone who has been there. I really like the hyperemesis website Help HER - Hyperemesis Education Research the website has a great message board and great info for providers.
Get a massage, reflexology, acupuncture, acupressure, chiropractic, biofeedback, magnet, homeopathy, Chinese medicine, shiatsu therapy.

Homeopathics: Ipecacuanha : Kevin Trudeau Show
Colchicum: This woman’s morning sickness is worse after smelling food, especially cooking food. She vomits even at the thought of food. Her nausea is also worse from even the slightest movement.
Ipecacuanha: This woman has constant, persistent nausea. Even vomiting doesn’t relieve the nausea and she feels worse when lying down.
Nux Vomica: Nausea is worse in the morning and from eating. The stomach is very sensitive to pressure. If necessary, Nux Vomica can be taken in alternation with Ipecacuanha.
Lacticum Acidum: Nausea is better after eating and worse from the smell of tobacco smoke. Her appetite is not affected, or she may have increased appetite.
Sepia: Nausea is worse in the morning. She is sensitive to odours and craves sour foods. She may be depressed and may regret the pregnancy.
Symphoricarpus: This is a good non-specific remedy for morning sickness if other remedies fail to give results. The nausea is worse after any motion with aversion to all food.
September 11th, 2012, 09:32 AM
WantingAnother's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! I can't stand my prenatals. They make me feel sick every time I take them. I have to take them right before sleep!

September 11th, 2012, 09:45 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the tips!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 11th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not getting sick yet, but I am glad you posted this Lots of good info for when/if I get MS, Thank You!!

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

September 11th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I always take my prenatal vits before bed too and eating often has always helped minimize my nausea. Thanks for all the other tips!!

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
September 11th, 2012, 12:04 PM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't yet experiened morning sickness (and hope that I am in the 20% who doesn't ) but I will keep this advice in mind for if it does start happening. Thanks for posting this!
September 12th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
and if all of that fails like it did for me, with my DD, then sip a pepsi or a coke! I know, nooo caffeine but it was suggested to me by a super old lady with a lot of kids and it worked.

September 12th, 2012, 08:15 AM
LPNMOMMY84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
up to 300 Mg of caffeine daily is ok!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search