Prenatals?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Kristin828's Avatar Veteran
What brand/type of prenatals are you ladies taking? Anyone taking other supplements along with them?

I haven't seen my obgyn yet, so I did a little internet research and found the ones that seemed like they had the most of what was recommended, but they're CVS brand!! I started on them right before we conceived, but now I'm worrying that they don't actually have everything I need. I also got the gummy ones and have been alternating with those on some days, and am taking a calcium supplement. What are you guys taking?

September 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Liz311w's Avatar Veteran
I am awful at taking pills, so when I found out Target had gummy prenatal vitamins I was ecstatic! So thats what I am taking.
Mommy to Makenna (6) and Jackson (4). Waiting for #3 to complete my family.

September 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the one most important thing is that you're supposed to get 800 mg of folic acid per day. Other than that, the rest of them aren't as crucial, I believe, other than to just have all the vits/minerals your body needs. The folic is a lot harder to get out of your diet (from what I hear).
It's good to have a solid iron intake too, because baby will take his/her share first, and then you also lose a lot at delivery. A lot of women are anemic during pregnancy because it's just hard to get enough iron. I will probably be supplementing with Floridix, my midwife that I had with my son recommended it as the easiest to absorb. Also it's a liquid so easier than swallowing horse pills.

Oh, and the ones I'm taking are by NatureMade, and have DHA in them. No other supplements yet.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Last edited by EverydayJoy; September 12th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
September 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
I take a generic prenatal (Walmart brand), calcium, fish oil, and vitamin c.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
September 12th, 2012, 04:33 PM
dyeanotherday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I try to be very consistent with making sure everything is included in my diet as it is better for you to get them from foods from what i understand next

would be a gel cap or chewy or gummy the standard pills don't break down in your stomach/get absorbed by your body as well and they are difficult to swallow when your stomach isn't going as well (a nutritionist once told me if i chew my vitamin it would be better but BLECH not happening) not that your body doesn't absorb it it just doesn't always get the full effect also iron and calcium fight for the cells and are better taken at different times so i don't really get having them in the same pill . . . .

I am taking an iron supplement which i crush into orange juice and some dha gel caps
September 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm taking Flintstones, folic acid, and iron.

September 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am also taking NatureMade +DHA. In addition to that I take 2000mg of citrus bioflavanoids and 4 capsules (over the course of the day) of fenugreek to try to maintain my supply.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

September 12th, 2012, 05:01 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Be careful of fish oil...there's some concern of mercury bc it comes from fish? I read that it was better to get your DHA from a plant based supplement if you are pregnant.
September 12th, 2012, 05:51 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good to know, Kary...
Samantha, what does the fenugreek supply as far as nutrients?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Be careful of fish oil...there's some concern of mercury bc it comes from fish? I read that it was better to get your DHA from a plant based supplement if you are pregnant.
As long as you take a high quality fish oil, there's little fear of mercury toxicity. Also, fish oil provides both DHA and EPA, which are both beneficial while pregnant.The following is excerpted from The American Pregnancy Association website.

Why is taking Omega-3 especially important during pregnancy?

Omega-3s have been found to be essential for both neurological and early visual development of the baby. However, the standard western diet is severely deficient in these critical nutrients. This omega-3 dietary deficiency is compounded by the fact that pregnant women become depleted in omega-3s, when the fetus uses omega-3s for its nervous system development. Omega-3s are also used after birth to make breast milk. With each subsequent pregnancy, mothers are further depleted. Research has confirmed that adding EPA and DHA to the diet of pregnant women has a positive effect on visual and cognitive development of the baby. Studies have also shown that higher consumption of omega-3s may reduce the risk of allergies in infants.

What foods contain Omega-3 (EPA + DHA)?

The best sources of EPA and DHA are cold water fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, anchovies, and herring. Many people are justifiably concerned about mercury and other toxins in fish, especially during pregnancy. For this reason, purified fish oil supplements are often the safest source of EPA and DHA. A high quality fish oil supplement from a reputable manufacturer delivers the health benefits of EPA and DHA without the risk of toxicity.

Many people think that flaxseed and/or flaxseed oil contains omega-3s. But flaxseed contains the shorter-chain omega-3, ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), which is different from the longer-chain EPA and DHA. EPA and DHA are the omega-3s that the body needs for optimal health and development. While it was once thought that the human body could convert ALA to EPA and DHA, current research shows that such conversion rarely and inefficiently occurs. Fish oil is a more reliable source of EPA and DHA.
♥RainyLane and EverydayJoy like this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
September 12th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I take prenatals, cheap ones from Walmart. I also take an extra folic acid, baby aspirin, probiotics, a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement (since I am breastfeeding). I also take prometrium night and day and Keller to keep away the UTIs.

Fenugreek is not recommended during pregnancy, I use to take it daily to keep me regular ( I don't need help with my supply) but stopped when I found out I was pregnant.

September 12th, 2012, 06:44 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Right, it says high quality fish oil is ok from a reputable manufacturer...but how do we determine that? Which manufacturers are reputable, and what is considered high quality? I'm going with plant based DHA so I don't have to worry about it!
September 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
Samantha, what does the fenugreek supply as far as nutrients?
I just took it when I had supply issues, now I am taking it to keep those issues at bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargatemommy View Post
Fenugreek is not recommended during pregnancy, I use to take it daily to keep me regular ( I don't need help with my supply) but stopped when I found out I was pregnant.
Eek! I hadn't heard that. I just assumed it was safe because it's a plant you know? I never even ran it by my midwife, guess I should do that. Do you know why?

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

September 12th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it is because it causes contractions. I am not 100% sure. I am sure google could tell you.
Tree_Love likes this.

September 12th, 2012, 07:56 PM
dyeanotherday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yes it causes contractions i think someone told me to try taking it to go into labor

but you don't have to keep taking it to keep your supply up you should be just fine once your making enough milk to stop taking it
September 12th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Also, your supply WILL drop during pregnancy (probably after 20 weeks) and nothing will help. It's your body preparing for the new baby.

September 13th, 2012, 04:54 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm taking TriCare Prenatal and DHA, but it's prescription from my OB. It also doesn't have Calcium in it because calcium inhibits the absorption of iron. So if you take a calcium supplement it might be best to take it the opposite time of when you take the iron for best results. Also, even though you haven't had an appt yet you should still be able to call your OB's office and ask them what they recommend OTC until you are seen.
September 13th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am going to the pharmacy today to stock up. I am going to be taking Naturemade prentals, probiotic, and folic acid.
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

September 13th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Kristin828's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for all the replies ladies! Much appreciated

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search