How can I improve my chances?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
i'd find a breastfeeding support group or a bfeeding clinic where you can go so they can help you get a good latch after you're released from the hospital. If it weren't for my clinic, I totally wouldn't have been able to get the hang of it. They helped me with the blisters I got from doing it wrong and gave me nipple shields, worked with me on the latch, showed me how to use the boppy, showed me other holds, and weighed my baby. They also helped other women who had to supplement and had other issues and got them completely back on the boob good luck!

September 12th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran
I agree with what Skimboardn Mama said. Find a local group or a lactation consultant that you like. Check out sites like La Leche League and breastfeeding forums. I felt reading as much as i could before hand really prepared me, also taking a breastfeeding class offered by my hospital late in my pregnancy taught me a lot. The two things, IMO, that will help you to succeed is asking questions and be determined not to quit!

I agree with what Skimboardin Mama said. Find a local group or a lactation consultant that you like. Check out sites like La Leche League and breastfeeding forums. I felt reading as much as i could before hand really prepared me, also taking a breastfeeding class offered by my hospital late in my pregnancy taught me a lot. The two things, IMO, that will help you to succeed is asking questions and be determined not to quit!

September 13th, 2012, 12:42 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard it's best to avoid bottles or binkies the first 2 weeks until bf'ing is well established. I would say have a person in the hospital with you to be your advocate and watch that the new one doesn't get fed a bottle. Give your new little one a dedicated body-guard! Haha! And call around if you have a choice in hospitals and look for one that is pro-breastfeeding. I was lucky in that ours was with my son and they put him right on my chest after he was weighed and cleaned off a little.
One tip...buy Lanolin cream! I used that sooo much in the beginning to try to ease the aching BB's and it does help to heal them and keep them soft so they don't crack.
Totally ditto the La Leche League and other advice above.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 13th, 2012, 04:41 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
put the baby to your breast right away. make sure you know how to tell if baby has a good latch or not, you can find info online.

I strongly encourage you to find some breastfeeding groups in your area, they are so helpful and informative. educate yourself, it will really help!

the more you "feed" in the first few hours or days, even if your milk hasn't come in, the better it will be. your milk may come in sooner as well.

do not give your baby a bottle or soother for the first 6 weeks!

September 13th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You've got some great BF advise. I wasn't able to last past 2 weeks with DS do im determined this time as well. I know how frustrating that was and I'm sorry you went thru something similar

As for CDs, they can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want. The cheapest option is prefolds and covers and you could get a nice NB stash of these for under $50 easily. I've also found amazing one size diapers I love for only $4/each for when baby gets bigger. How many you need depends on how frequently you'll wash but for the NB stage since they go thru 10-12/day I'd reccomend to get at least 2 dozen. Also check out DiaperSwappers.com or the FB group Cheapie Dipes B/S/T. You can get like new diapers second hand and save even more money. I've sold some on there in the past that we're new!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

September 13th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Support support support! Research research research! Start following the Leaky B@@b on fb, TONS of ladies on there who will answer your questions almost immediately. Start reading breastfeeding triumph stories. More important than anything is to have someone to stand up for you around others and stand up to you when you feel like giving up.

As for CD's, a great starter diaper is a gDiaper. They are sized but you only need 6-8 of each size except for newborns. Then you just need extra waterproof pouches which are 6 for $20 brand new. Definitely buy used and whatever brand you decide on, buy a few a month until you have about 2 dozen "changes" so you can do laundry every other day. So if you start buying 3 a month now, you'll be set!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search