Gotta have it: Baby Gear

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2012, 10:25 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We were at Target last night looking at baby things. The girls were helping look at what to get for the baby when it comes to gear (I want them to be as involved as possible). And I was amazed how much things have changed in only 3-5 years! Wow! Everything is completely different and the new "must haves" were even thought of when I had my girls.

There are a couple things I really want to get my hands on this time around.

Fisher-Price SnugaMonkey Deluxe Newborn Rock 'n...
This looks adorable. And I know a couple people that swear by these things now. So I think I'm gonna skip the bouncer and go for this. It's expensive, but it's so adorable and handy.

Fisher-Price My Little SnugaMonkey Cradle
My husband really liked this. The cradle swings were available when we bought our first swing, but I would have loved the option the swing another way. And really the monkey is totally adorable. I like the lamb one too.

Graco Fast ActionFold Travel System - Scribbles

Our carseat expires in December so we are out looking around for new travel systems. It's amazing how much less bulky and slim these are now. We haven't looked too closely to make sure they aren't cheap, but we really like the look of this one last night. Our last stroller, thought we LOVED it, was just monstrous, so it'd be nice to go smaller this time around.

So tell me, what have you been keeping your eye on already?

September 15th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
All I need is a car seat and a carrying wrap. If it's a girl, some clothes. I am a pretty laid back parent and don't see much of a need for most of the baby gadgets that are in stores.
♥RainyLane and wiiblii like this.

September 15th, 2012, 10:48 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm trying to decide what kind of sleeping arrangements to do for a new baby.
I read an article about SIDS that made a lot of sense, y'all are welcome to peruse the website I was reading it on. Cot Life 2000
At any rate, I'm trying to decide between what would be really easy, and get a Graco Slimline pack N play with the bassinet on top, which would work till 30 lbs. Or make my kid sleep in a big boy bed, and give the crib to baby...trying to picture myself leaning over a full-size crib picking up baby after just giving birth...maybe a Moses Basket type bed would be better.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 15th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
I'm trying to decide what kind of sleeping arrangements to do for a new baby.
I read an article about SIDS that made a lot of sense, y'all are welcome to peruse the website I was reading it on. Cot Life 2000
At any rate, I'm trying to decide between what would be really easy, and get a Graco Slimline pack N play with the bassinet on top, which would work till 30 lbs. Or make my kid sleep in a big boy bed, and give the crib to baby...trying to picture myself leaning over a full-size crib picking up baby after just giving birth...maybe a Moses Basket type bed would be better.
That site actually seems pretty sketchy to me. Lots of big claims, little evidence (because it is all part of a big cover-up! ) and lots and lots of not very subtle attempts to get you to buy their product.

September 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have the Fisher Price Little Lamb swing and vibrating seat as well from DS.

This time the only thing baby gear related I'd like to get is a Rock N' Play. I've heard great reviews on them as well and we didn't have one last time. DS was not a great sleeper early on and I think the inclined sleeping position he would have done better with, so hopefully we get some use out of it.

September 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Precious0013
For both kids we couldn't have made it without a swing. And then Zoe actually slept in her bouncer was she was a little older because being in that upright position was the only way she would sleep for more than an hour. And then I also had a Moby wrap with Zoe and LOVED it!

THANK YOU .h00dihoo.this. for an AWESOME siggy
September 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
We already have some great stuff from dd. a lamb swing, jumper, moby, and this little bed thing that goes in your bed so they can sleep with you.

I wanted to just let the new baby boy or girl rock our dd's girly seat and bumbo but dh got upset about wanting to put a boy in pink stuff..*sigh*

We want an ergo and a gently used pack n play so the kid can sleep in our room. We're skipping a crib and just getting a toddler bed in the future because we nurse and I don't want to get up and go far in the middle of the night =0 ) Oh and more cloth diapers!

September 15th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Oh, I would love to get a co-sleeper too, Nancy! Have you used one before? It is something I am interested in since we have to figure out bed/crib arrangements anyway because our old crib is toast. I want our baby close too because his/her actual room is on the other side of the house and I plan to BF... so not real convenient for those middle-of-the-night feedings.

lol at the bumbo!! We have a purple bumbo... that *may* be ok if we have a boy... but we'll see lol!

September 15th, 2012, 12:30 PM
SuperMartianRobotMom6's Avatar Proud Mama & Happy Wife
Moby wrap!! Definately a great item to have!

September 15th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Surpise Baby Due in May
I'm pretty simple as far as gear. I'll need a good wrap for me and the nanny to use, a Moses basket for naps and a good, safe infant seat.
September 15th, 2012, 04:33 PM
LPNMOMMY84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We bed share, then use a pack and play. The only things we need for the baby is cloth diapers, a boob, and some clothes. We are registering for a mamaroo.

I don't use travel systems, babies left in car seats for prolonged periods of time show a significant and dangerous drop in oxygen sat levels, babies should never be kept in a car seat as a carrier, only in the car when completely necessary.
September 15th, 2012, 05:07 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Stuff I loved: a woven wrap, my cosleeper (or a side carred crib), and cute cloth diapers

But I admit I am eying the rock-n-play thing. We never had anything like that and it seems pretty cool. The pack and play takes up too much room in our living room, so I am wondering if that might be a better option for living room sleeping. Plus, it's cute! Lol.

Otherwise, we are totally set. Unless, on the off chance, it's a girl. Then we might need something that is not blue
September 15th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Sids has nothing to do with sleeping arrangments. I get irritated at claims of "SIDS" when people are irresponsibly cosleeping or not making sensible safe decisions. When a baby suffocates, that is not SIDS. Sids is when a baby stops breathing. Its actually linked ot an immature brain and respiratory system. Babies who sleep next to mama breathe in unison with mama, they are less likely to forget to breathe, also babies with fans in their rooms are less likely to experience sids. Unless you smoke tobacco products, do drugs, or drink co sleeping and the like are very safe practices.

I bed shared with both of my kids. They are safe and healthy. No one ever talks about crib deaths and there are PLENTY of those every year from faulty cribs. I hate when one type of parenting is villified. I got so much crap flack from people for bed sharing. People said unfounded, untrue things. I had statistical info to back me up, they just looked and sounded like idiots. Its bad to challenge someone like me who is VERY into statistics. I dont back down.

ETA: I find that cot death website really confusing, they are speaking about things i've never heard of. Smoking has been PROVEN to affect babies and increase the risk of SIDS. That website it weird.

Last edited by LPNMOMMY84; September 15th, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
September 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM
OH BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND! Im def considering a mamaroo and I am NOT into baby gadgets at all. Also we are spending a pretty penny on amazing photography of the new baby and my belly before!
September 15th, 2012, 05:22 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
We have all we need. I may get a cosleeper though instead of keeping a bassinet by the bed. They always end up in our bed anyway. I might want a lighter wrap too, the moby can get pretty hot and it will be going into hotter weather after not too long. We shall see. I am also a total cheap skate lol
September 15th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Ive seen plenty of babies hang out in their travel systems and be fine. Who knows (Im just a statistic freak)... But I Digress.

A mamaroo is the bestest invention ever lol. Not a swing or a bouncer but both combined on steroids. Look it up on youtube!
September 15th, 2012, 06:42 PM
We loved our travel system because we take walks every night, especially in the summer. And where we live having a carrier would be just too hot for those types of evenings. I've never heard about the lower levels on o2 in carseats... do you have a link for that?

I do plan on using the moby wrap more this time around, but I definitely like the option of having both.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search