Who plans on breast feeding?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran
I am! Making it through the first four weeks of breastfeeding baby boy #1 was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but we were able to go on and breastfeed for 13 and 15 months. It's hard work but wonderful, and a lot easier in the long run. Always warm and ready.
knightsgirl likes this.
September 29th, 2012, 07:11 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk18 View Post
I'd love to breastfeed but I've also been leaning towards exclusively pumping since I plan on going back to work after my maternity leave and my husband really wants to be involved with feedings.
I nursed DD until she was 17 months. I would just go pump a bottle for someone when they wanted to feed her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TThompson View Post
i plan on breastfeeding. this is my first child so I hear that it hurts. I am sure I can deal with the pain though. I understand about the hiding the girls. That will be a problem of mine also.
If the baby is latched on correctly, it shouldn't hurt. Most hospitals have lactation consultants that can show you how to nurse while you are still in the hospital.
September 29th, 2012, 08:08 PM
knightsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ME ME ME! lol

I BF'd both my boys for just over a year and am SO glad I did. I remember how much I wanted to quit with my first son b/c around the 2nd week after he was born, my nips were on fire. But with some Lanolin and perseverance, I made it thru and BF'd till he was about 13 months. =D

I can't wait to do it again. I'll definitely be an old pro! ((So if you have any questions, don't be shy! I'd love to help!!))

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjl View Post
I feed my baby when and where I have to. especially when you have other kids I find if it needs to be done you can't take the time to search for a place to do it. I never have luck with those poncho things, so what I do is wrap a blanket around my middle under my shirt to cover my not so attractive belly, and just lift my shirt up enough to feed.
^^^^ I'm like Lori ... I lifted my shirt most of the time ...partly b/c I wear sports bras since I STILL haven't found a perfect nursing bra/tank. And even if I did pop the girls out from the top, the sports bra covered some of me. I still use nursing covers or a light blanket tho if I'm in public ... I don't care so much at home. =D

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!

September 29th, 2012, 11:35 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
[QUOTE=markswife;26590666]I nursed DD until she was 17 months. I would just go pump a bottle for someone when they wanted to feed her.

If the baby is latched on correctly, it shouldn't hurt. Most hospitals have lactation consultants that can show you how to nurse while you are still in the hospital.[/QUOTE]

My experience and also from reading articles is, that this is somewhat misleading. Even if baby is latched on correctly, it can still hurt pretty bad in the first couple of weeks. But it shouldn't ever get to the point that you're getting cracked nipples, bleeding, or that you're in tears every time.

I will def. BF, I had a great overall experience with DS, it did hurt like heck at the beginning but the nurses at the hospital said he had a perfect latch. I still screwed up my face and curled my toes when he nursed. By the end of the first week, it was better, and it got progressively better from there until I had no pain at all. I would say by the end of the first month it was close to pain-free. I did use Lanolin religiously.
After that I had no issues. No mastitis, or any problems EXCEPT--the medication I was on was wrecking my son's digestive system through my breastmilk. I was on a daily anitbiotic for a congenital kidney disorder and he was a terrible sleeper and always fussy until I weaned him as a last resort at 8 months. It was the only thing that worked for his poor little tummy.
Thankfully I have gotten my kidney deal surgically corrected so no more infections and no more antibiotics!
Liztastic and jcperez like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 30th, 2012, 03:54 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it definitely will hurt your nipples a little bit, even if you have a good latch, but only for the first week. after that it should be painless.

I'm hoping that since this is my third, my nipples will be tough enough that it won't really hurt at all. wishful thinking??? lol

September 30th, 2012, 06:20 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am still nursing my 12 month old son. And my first was nursed for 11 months, when he self-weaned. I plan on nursing this baby as well.

I am lucky though, I dont have a lot of issues with breastfeeding. I found it to be pretty easy. I am not sensitive, which helped a lot. And I don't care about NIP, I don't use a cover. I am generally discrete though (tank top under my shirts so I am covered). I make a lot of milk, so he first week is the worst for me. I get fevers and am in a lot of pain when my milk first comes in and my body has to regulate it (my skin is very painful because it stretches so far with all the milk, i prolly had size SSS boobs at that time!) But after that week, I am fine.

I do love nursing.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
September 30th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPNMOMMY84 View Post
Consult the Thomas Hale guide. Doctors can be extremely conservative with medications but Hale did studies on each med, like for real, and alot of them don't pass into the breastmilk the way we think or affect the baby as we think. Its actually been proven to be better to nurse in instances where mom is a smoker vs formula feeding. I have a friend whom was told she could not nurse on her anti-anxiety med and when we consulted Hale, there was no evidence that it affected the baby and if anything could make the baby a little sleepy. She nursed successfully. Of course without knowing what specific meds you are on, this is just totally a recommendation to actually consult the Hale's guide. Good luck mama!
Thank you! Sounds like a great resource. I'd love to breastfeed if at all possible, of course. Yay!
September 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Quote:
it definitely will hurt your nipples a little bit, even if you have a good latch, but only for the first week. after that it should be painless.

I'm hoping that since this is my third, my nipples will be tough enough that it won't really hurt at all. wishful thinking??? lol
Yes, with both my boys It hurt really bad the first 2 weeks. Its enough to make anyone want to quit but the pain does go away. Im hoping I can do it for at least a year. My last son I made it a year then my supply diminished.
EverydayJoy and Liztastic like this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
October 1st, 2012, 08:22 AM
knightsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

With my second it didn't hurt at all in the first few weeks like it did with my first son. I'm glad 'cause I was dreading it. Like I said, lanolin cream, tylenol, and perseverance got me thru with my first!

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!

October 1st, 2012, 09:37 AM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I exclusively BF my 1st DD for 19 months, my second DD for 22 months and my 3rd DD for only 4 months . My 3rd DD had a lot of digestive issues and something in my milk did not agree with her and after trying to eliminate many things from my diet I never found the culprit so for the benefit of both of us I made the decision to FF. It really broke my heart.

But as you could assume I'll be exclusively BF this little one for as long as they'd like, up to 2 years. I really can't wait. There are so many benefits - health, bonding, financial and a couple of my favorites - less dishes and no getting up to mix a bottle in the middle of the night. Just whip it out I also nurse in public without a cover, and no shame I'm good at hiding it though with my shirt. My kids always pulled the receiving blankets off them anyways.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
October 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Me, i love breastfeeding now. I never thought i would get in to it at all. Only problem is i can't keep up with it though.

October 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't agree with the breast is best saying cause I think it sets up a lot of moms to have a lot of guilt if they can't. Due to medical reasons I wasn't able to breastfeed DD. I have a bengign pituitary tumor. I was able to with DS (it didn't grow as much during that pregnancy) but I had supply issues so I pumped for 4 months with him.

I would like to try pumping and nursing again...worse case even if I just pump for a few months. The price is definetely right for breastmilk. But if I go to formula then no biggie. I won't let myself feel bad about it. I was able to bond so much with DD regardless. And I had people telling me (not knowing my situation) that she would be sick and not get all my good stuff etc...she actually was so much healthier than DS ever was.

I wish I had been able to get the "Formula Powered" onsie for DD.
October 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM
Veteran
I tried with my son. He just couldn't get a latch. I beat myself up for the whole week I was in the hospital. Then, when I got home, I said "F this!" and pumped, put it in a bottle and didn't look back. I was a pro at pumping. I dried up at 10 weeks, which seems to be the way my mom and her mom where, too. I started off with SO much milk and it just dwindled. This time around, I may just go straight to pumping and get going like crazy to get a supply stashed. It was nice because my husband was able to share in the feedings. After about a week, I even stopped heating up the milk. My son didn't care, which made things easier.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search