Sushi?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By misty3281

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2012, 09:44 PM
chrisam143's Avatar Super Mommy
What are your thoughts on having sushi while pregnant? I didn't chance it last time and only ate things from sushi places that they cooked. Since I found out I have celiac (no gluten) in January I had a hard time finding a place that made sushi gluten free, until a few weeks ago we found the BEST sushi place just 10mins away that makes all their own sauces and can make almost anything on menu gluten free. And now I've been craving it ever since

Love my beautiful siggy from Chelsea (GraysMama)!
September 29th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No raw fish...that's all i know.

September 29th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Veteran
I know you should not eat raw fish when pregnant. We were stationed in Japan for almost 4years and they still eat it when they are preg.
September 29th, 2012, 04:51 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I love the california rolls but Im not chancing it. I would love to have it right about now myself : (

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
September 29th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
California rolls and any other sushi rolls that has cooked fish is fine. As long as its fried, grilled or steamed its okay. You just want to steer clear of the "real" raw stuff.
I've had two sushi meals since being pregnant already and when I was huge pregnant with DS we would eat at our local Japanese joint like twice a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

September 29th, 2012, 06:02 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doc said as long as it's cooked sushi it's fine. Just nothing raw. I'm not a big sushi fan, but man now I want shrimp hibachi.
knightsgirl likes this.
September 29th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Melliesbelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a huge fan of sushi, and I know that if it's cooked (say, tempura shrimp for example), it's alright... but, personally, I don't chance it just because it's handled in an environment WITH A lot of raw fish so cross contamination risks are high.

But that's just me!

SO to Brian
Mommy to Liam, and Gage!

September 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love sushi usually make my own but yeah no raw fish although I did eat it before I found out I was pregnant and my daughter is fine x

September 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doc said no tuna because of mercury contamination. I'm sure a little would be ok, but I steer clear of all raw fish and any tuna just in case...

Here's a Consumer Reports article regarding tuna and mercury...

Mercury in tuna: Consumer Reports
September 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
dyeanotherday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sushi is not technically raw fish it is cooked with acid so it isn't the same . . . i don't like sushi but a lady on my birth board when i had my son was shared an article on how it is safe as long as you trust your chef she ate sushi all the time when she was pregnant wth hher daughter the main risk like with most things is bacteria. . . .

In Japan they eat sushi all the time during pregnancy. I found this article i can't find the one she had though

http://www.babymed.com/food-and-nutr...ring-pregnancy

Last edited by dyeanotherday; September 29th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
September 30th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Veteran
They make it fresh at one of the stores I work at every morning. It's usually my lunch on the days I work there. DH works just around the corner and I will pick up a couple rolls and bring them over to have lunch with him a couple times a week.
September 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Whiterozse's Avatar Veteran
I am gluten free also!! I just got a California roll because I was craving sushi too. I always eat it with gf soy sauce, or Bragg's sauce. I don't think I will chance eating the raw stuff even though it is so so yummy!

September 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM
chrisam143's Avatar Super Mommy
I lived in Japan in high school and heard that they still eat sushi when preggo, but I won't chance the raw stuff and will just have to wait 8 more months till I can eat it again! Now I have to not only find sushi that is GF but that is also cooked (no tempura )

Whiterozse - recently I heard California rolls have gluten if made with imitation crab, which I've found out most are. I didn't know that early on and ate it without known problems but now I don't. I love GF soy sauce! My fave place to eat is PF Changs because they have a big GF menu where they use GF free soy sauce - yummy, now I'm hungry

Love my beautiful siggy from Chelsea (GraysMama)!
October 1st, 2012, 08:32 AM
knightsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was very "good" with my pregnancy with my first son. I tried to stay away from all the "no-no's" or at least be very moderate with them (caffeine for instance). With my second son, I **SO** craved sushi, so I bought some of the sushi from Target or Hy-vee. I figured if the Japanese women ate it throughout their entire pregnancies, then why can't I? And, not to go all stereo-type ... but maybe that's why Asians are considered so smart ... all that fish and omega-3 makes for big brains! =D

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!

October 1st, 2012, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I will eat california rolls but thats it. But thats what I like anyhow.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search