Going All Natural

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
Anyone going this route with their birth? I would love to hear your birth plans!
September 29th, 2012, 11:44 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Me!!
I did with DS, no pain meds, I was induced howevver and that made it pretty painful and pretty intense for labor. I will absolutely refuse induction the next time around unless it is absolutely necessary for the well-being of my baby. And if that's the case and it's needed, I want drugs!

I hope to have a similar birthing experience as my DS, was able to labor in a warm water pool, used the birthing/exercise ball for early labor, and gave birth in a birthing chair. The chair seemed like the best position for me. I worry that in hospitals in my area that they probably won't have one, and I would like to be able to be supported in that way physically because it felt very natural. I worry that if I am in the same position, only crouched over the bed, that I will tire fast and not be able to keep it up. I want to be able to have baby room in with me and I want to sleep with him/her in my hospital bed. I will probably do things my way even if the staff doesn't approve, since I've had one already and know what I want. And if they don't let me, maybe I'll just leave AMA!
I hope to have a holisticly-minded birthing team (midwife/nurses) and be able to have a calm, supportive environment like last time.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 29th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Veteran
If labor had been productive with my daughter I really think I could have handled going all natural. She ended up being a c-sec tho because I couldn't dilate. This time around will most likely be a planned c-sec because of similar concerns, my pelvis is just really super small.
September 30th, 2012, 03:50 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning on a natural delivery. I had an epidural with my first, and used laughing gas with my second. I will use the laughing gas again this time too, probably. I still consider laughing gas to be a natural delivery because it doesn't go anywhere near the baby. it is only effective while you are breathing it in, the minute you stop, it isn't in your system anymore so if you have a bad reaction to it for some reason you don't have to wait it out like you would any drug. it didn't really help with pain at all, but it did help me to breathe deeply and regularly instead of holding my breath like my instinct wanted to.

I will probably get in the tub until I can't handle it anymore and by that point it is usually close to push time anyway. the tubs in my hospital aren't very big though, I wish they were those huge tubs with the jets.

September 30th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Melliesbelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning on a natural birth this time, absolutely. I was induced with my son, and may I say, those pitocin contractions are awful little witches. I had intended to birth him naturally, but I didn't make it very far into my labor with him before I ended up with an epi. It doesn't help that the nurses were constantly hounding me about it. This time, I will either be in a birthing center with a midwife, or home, so no more epidurals for me! I really just hate how fuzzy everything got once I had it. I barely remember pushing.

SO to Brian
Mommy to Liam, and Gage!

September 30th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Planning on all natural as well. Did this for my DS but i was only in labor for 4.5hrs, so if things go left or aren't progressing, I'm not opposed to having something...but the plan is al natural!
September 30th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I did it with both my girls - both were water births born in the tub at home. Honestly, I don't think I could have done it natural had I not been in the water.

This time though, no.....not natural. It's my last birth, and I want to see what the epi is all about
jcperez likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
September 30th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a c section with my son, a vbac with my daughter and both times my epidural failed, i had to be put under for my c section. Im hoping to go all natural with this baby, my labor tends to be long but i think a natural approuch will be best for us.
September 30th, 2012, 05:17 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to go as natural as possible and my doc is all for it. I've already told him the only thing he's allowed to do besides catch the baby is an episiotomy if needed. Call me crazy but I'd rather be cut than ripped down there. Unless something happens with the baby then obviously Ill do whatever's necessary, but for now that's the plan.
September 30th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjl View Post
I'm planning on a natural delivery. I had an epidural with my first, and used laughing gas with my second. I will use the laughing gas again this time too, probably. I still consider laughing gas to be a natural delivery because it doesn't go anywhere near the baby. it is only effective while you are breathing it in, the minute you stop, it isn't in your system anymore so if you have a bad reaction to it for some reason you don't have to wait it out like you would any drug. it didn't really help with pain at all, but it did help me to breathe deeply and regularly instead of holding my breath like my instinct wanted to.

I will probably get in the tub until I can't handle it anymore and by that point it is usually close to push time anyway. the tubs in my hospital aren't very big though, I wish they were those huge tubs with the jets.
I didn't even know laughing gas was on option. Thanks for mentioning this-I'll look in to it a bit more.

I won't do natural, but have nothing but respect for those of you who will. That's awesome!
September 30th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a big NCB fan. Honestly, getting an epidural never crossed my mind with my daughter. I hated the tub, though. Back labor and water-jets do NOT mix. I spent a lot of time in the shower.

I don't think I could do an epi birth. My experiences with painkillers and anesthesia in the past make me believe an epi would definitely stall my labor and end with a c-section, and would be quite dangerous if my child was as sensitive as I was to such meds. I would much rather spend a day with back labor than weeks recovering from abdominal surgery.

Last edited by Calendula; September 30th, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
September 30th, 2012, 06:03 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I will. I will labor at home until the last possible second and then go to the hospital to pop him out. It is what allowed me an intervention-free birth with my first son. And going early with my second son (because he was "a known breech") ended up being a very painful experience (still no epi, but much less natural with pit and fetal monitoring). So I have a nurse friend on standby and she will check me regularly to let me know when we need to jet outta here (7-8cm).

I do kinda wonder what the epi would be like. And if I end up needing an induction for whatever (actual) reason, I will absolutely have an epi. Those pitocin contractions are awful compared to natural ones.
September 30th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Normally I have a very high pain tolerance - I expected labor to be like AF cramps, but I don't normally get those either so I wasn't totally sure what to expect. The contractions on the way to the hospital were no problem, but when they really started coming, they really hurt and I curled up into the fetal position. The nurse commented that I went into some sort of meditative state to try to deal with them and I did try, but when it was almost time for him to come and the Dr had checked my cervix so many times and I just couldn't take it anymore, I got the epi. I think it was the fear of what him coming was going to feel like that made me give in. I'm glad I did because I was so out of strength afterwards that the Dr literally had to go pull out the placenta, it was the worst feeling ever even with the epi. I got the epi so late that they said it might not take, but thank goodness it did. It was also scary because they were like you have to sit real still for this and I wanted to just curl back up again every time a contraction came so that was difficult. I commend those who can go natural - I know people used to have to do it that way, but I have no idea how they got through it at all. My only fear is that this one will come super fast since I was only 4-5 hours in labor with my first, but if possible, I am all for the epi again.
September 30th, 2012, 07:02 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I have low platelet levels during pregnancy - it's called thrombocytopenia. In severe cases, you are not allowed to get an epidural bc you are at risk of a subdural hematoma which can cause paralysis or death. This would also mean if you need a C-section, you would have to have general anasthesia. I was very close to the cutoff of being allowed to get an epidural. Thankfully, I was able to get one. If I don't qualify this time around, I may be forced to go all natural. I won't know until the day of labor because your platelet levels change daily.
September 30th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Redneck_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All natural for me! Both of mine were induced and all natural. I plan on trying to wait for labor to start on its own this time. But, if I can't, I can't. I do know I'm not having any epi, or anything else. It's an awesome feeling.
Calendula likes this.
September 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Veteran
I hope to. Got an epi at 7-8 cm with my first son, labor stalled, ended up with pit. Had a great delivery otherwise. With son #2, I had a very natural birth friendly ob. The nurses never even offered me an epi. Even though I was still undecided, I was able to walk through most of my labor or bounce on a ball and deliver naturally. Hurt like crazy but was very empowering. I felt like I recovered so much faster the second time and had a much better nursing experience. Not sure how much those are related, but I'd love to have a similar experience. Each of my kids have been born in different cities so we've had to find a different provider each time. This time I'm using a midwifery group so it's very Ncb friendly.
September 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love to do a natural birth. Since I'm having a VBAC I know the less factors I introduce the more likely I will have a successful VBAC. The place I am birthing provides a birthing tub in every labor room so I plan to use the tub to relieve some pain when I get to the point that I can no longer handle or get thru my contractions. Ultimately if I opt for an epidural I will not be disappointed in myself as my ultimate goal is a VBAC but I am going to push myself a bit and try my best to go without it as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

September 30th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had 9 natural births, all in a hosptial and hope number 10 is as well.

I think the key is no inductions, declining intervention, not going into the hospital unil necessary.

Good luck to everyone!

September 30th, 2012, 05:37 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am considering a home birth and plan on meeting with a midwife asap to discuss options. This little voice in the back of my head is saying hospital=safe, but after watching Business of Being Born, a trained midwife is perfectly safe and knows when to transfer you to a hospital if needed. So much to think about!

September 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
NewlyMrs... Watch the new stuff from them "more business of being born".

It's great and on Netflix to stream instantly

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search