what would you do?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Memi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Veteran
I am trying to choose a obgyn. I have 2 choices. There is a huge practice with lots of doctors and lots of good reviews that is literally 1 block away from my son's preschool.

OR

there's a small practice with just 2 doctors who have FANTASTIC reviews. I mean, everyone I've talked to just loves these ladies. but, they're about a 25 min drive in the opposite direction from school. So, I could potentially have issues picking my son up on time, and I wouldn't have time to do anything else while he's at school.

i'm so torn. I might just have to call them up and just see who can get me in soonest

September 30th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm more comfortable with smaller practices. I want to be sure I've dealt with the person who will be delivering me. I also am more comfortable being delivered by a woman. So, for me, the potential timing issues with preschool would be worth it. Could anyone else pick him up on appointment days? Could the preschool keep him an extra half hour on appointment days to give you some fudge room? It seems like there should be options for just a 25 minute drive.

September 30th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I'd lean towards the first choice (just because of distance and time), but see who can get you in the quickest!

Also, gotta admit, I'm kind of jealous that you have a choice (my DH is in the military), but it is really awesome that you have two GREAT choices!
September 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Redneck_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My opinion would be not to worry about the drive. 25 minute drive to get somewhere isn't much when you think about it. So, I'd weigh pros and cons of each practice rather than the time it takes to reach the practice.

Maybe my opinion is such because it's a 15 minute drive from my house just to get to the nearest town; and once you get there, there are no OB offices. Lol.
September 30th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Melliesbelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I'm all about smaller practices, so that's what I would go with. Maybe see them both, and see what your gut tells you?

SO to Brian
Mommy to Liam, and Gage!

September 30th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Veteran
mamamac - we're navy. I just switched to Tricare standard so I can pick my own doc. On prime, my PCM sat on my obgyn referral for 10 days, and then scheduled me with someone an hour away! I refuse to do that.

September 30th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Veteran
where I am, I have the option of seeing the same OB or the possibilty of a different one each time i go but it still doesnt guarantee that one i go in to labor the same OB will deliver my baby because it is whoever is on call that will deliver my baby.
September 30th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran
hope you find one that is best for you and you will get the best care.

September 30th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesparkles View Post
mamamac - we're navy. I just switched to Tricare standard so I can pick my own doc. On prime, my PCM sat on my obgyn referral for 10 days, and then scheduled me with someone an hour away! I refuse to do that.
Tricare finally approved my referral. I need to go out to Portsmouth. I am fine with it but was hoping to be seen at the Chesapeake clinic. It will only take one time getting stuck in the tunnel and i will switch over to standard.
September 30th, 2012, 09:29 AM
chrisam143's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a similar issue lately, except both practices were large ones. One was linked to the hospital I had my dd and I LOVED it, but it is a good 20 minute drive. The other one is closer to our new house and my work. I went with them because of the time commitment. I think now with once a month appts it isn't so bad but towards the end when you are going every other week and then every week. Plus all the ultrasounds and labs (we had a lot because of issues), there were a lot of appointments. And I actually didn't mind having a larger practice last time and did see my own dr every time and she was on call the evening I went into labor.
Good luck mama with your decision! I like the idea of meeting both, if possible and then deciding.

Love my beautiful siggy from Chelsea (GraysMama)!
September 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I prefer my smaller practice. The first OB I went to was huge and I felt that everyone there was very impersonal. I know most of the nurses at my current OB and even the front desk staff know my name. They now have a male OB which I'm not sure what I think about that. I loved that it was all women.

I'm glad you have two good options to choose from.
September 30th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I prefer a smaller practice so you can get to know each doctor better. Plus if that practice has amazing reviews it's an easy choice for me.

My last practice was 3 min from my house but I hated them. I'm now driving almost 1 hour for my new practice but it's worth every minute to me bc they're amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
ashj_1218 likes this.

September 30th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would call and talk to someone from each office and go with whoever makes you feel more comfortable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search