Ovarian cyst, anyone else have one?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2012, 09:35 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I know I have one on the right, they told me it was there when I went in for my first u/s on the 20th of this month. At the time it was only 2cm, and they said they don't worry unless it gets to 10cm. So, just curious, do they do anything in the meantime? And since I'm pregnant, if it did get out of hand, what would they do? My guess would be a needle aspiration or something like that, which doesn't sound fun. It's bugging me because I can feel it, it aches on the right side from time to time and sometimes makes me not want to be up and around much. I know the ol' routine of hot pack and Tylenol, I guess it's just I've never been diagnosed with one of these before and I don't know what to expect. Plus I've been spotting off and on, and cramping off and on for about 2 weeks now even though they told me it was normal the last time I mentioned it. That doesn't really reassure me after losing one 8 months ago.
Any thoughts? TIA!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 1st, 2012, 03:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't stress! Most ovarian cysts are not problematic and dissolve on their own. They can be painful but you can get through this. Also, that is still pretty small. I'm glad you have access to good medical care so they can monitor the cyst, but most importantly...don't worry!

Here is a brief explanation I found a few days ago:

Ovarian Cysts Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What are the risks of ovarian cysts during pregnancy? on MedicineNet (Basically, cysts during pregnancy don't vary much from cysts when you're not pregnant. Many women have cysts and don't even know it!)
October 1st, 2012, 08:12 AM
knightsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After my two boys, I was surprised when I went to my u/s and the tech said there was a cyst on my ovary. She said she'd talk to the doctor about it, but no bending and twisting. Doctor eventually called me and said it's nothing to worry about unless it causes me great pain.

Apparently it's very normal (from what I've read and what some of the ladies here have told me) and it should go away by 11-12 weeks. It does the job of the placenta until the placenta can take over. I'm sure if the cyst doesn't dissipate on its own or gets bigger, your doctor will talk to you about options.

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!

October 1st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have got them with every pregnancy, they should keep a eye on it to make sure it don;t get any bigger. They usually go away at 12 weeks, if i remember right.

October 2nd, 2012, 12:00 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I forgot to say, thank you everyone for your input!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 2nd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Kristin828's Avatar Veteran
Yes! I have two, both on my right side and both over 2cm. Doc said one is very common, two is unusual but still nothing to worry about unless it's causing a lot of pain. She said they secrete large amounts of progesterone until the placenta takes over at 12-14wks, which is the main cause of extreme tiredness (which has been my biggest complaint so far.. Glad to hear there's a reason and it's not in my head!) I think they just keep an eye on them as you go, so nothing to worry about for now

October 2nd, 2012, 06:35 AM
McKendon's Avatar Veteran
I had 2 oin my right ovary when I had my 6 week u/s, but they were both gone when I went back at 7 weeks. Their plan was to keep an eye on them. If they got too big, they would probably laparoscopically remove them. My sister had one during pregnancy that actually got so big it twisted and caused extreme pain and they removed it. Baby was born perfect!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search