Maternity/Parental Leave?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By markswife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How much time do you get?

Will you be taking it all?

Do Significant Others get any time off?

Will you be sharing any with your Significant Other?

How much time do you get? In Canada, we get up to a year of Maternity Leave

Will you be taking it all?I am currently unemployed and on EI, so I will have used up my $$$ prior to bebe arriving

Do Significant Others get any time off? I could (had I taken a mat leave) share 32 weeks with my DH

Will you be sharing any with your Significant Other? Due to our situation, I will be continuing staying home with no pay. DH would be topped up to 93% (he works for the Fed. Gov.) and so he'll be taking probably 2-3 months off

October 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
dyeanotherday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How much time do you get? I don't work

Do Significant Others get any time off? Chris gets 2 weeks of paternal leave at full pay and he will take that time off

October 1st, 2012, 10:48 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How much time do you get? In Canada we get 52 weeks off

Will you be taking it all? I'm a SAHM - so of course...but not getting paid darnit

Do Significant Others get any time off? If I was on mat leave we could share...but i never did and i don't think he would take it.

Will you be sharing any with your Significant Other? If i was on mat leave...No, i'm not good at sharing lol

October 2nd, 2012, 04:29 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't even know how long I get from work. Thanks for reminding me to go by there and ask! I doubt I'll take more than a month though. The work that I do is just me and my boss. So however long I take off she has to take call by herself 24/7 so I'll try to get back asap.

As far as DH taking off, he wouldn't have been at his company a year when I deliver so he won't get any benefits yet and will have to keep working. They don't really do paternity leave around here anyway.
October 2nd, 2012, 04:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Great topic! I'm also learning so much about Canada on these boards (forgive my ignorance)!

How much time do you get? Not working right now (just moved back to VA-will try to find a temp job once nausea gets better)

Will you be taking it all? N/A

Do Significant Others get any time off? Yes, husband is in the military and he gets ten days of paternity leave. I assumed he got none, so I was happy to find this out last week.

Will you be sharing any with your Significant Other? Not an option for us.
October 2nd, 2012, 05:51 AM
Veteran
How much time do you get? Im in Canada so if i was working I would get the 52 weeks

Will you be taking it all? nope im a sahm so i wont be getting any

Do Significant Others get any time off? My SO is in the Canadian Military so he gets 2 weeks, we are back and forth on rather he will take more because it will depend on what is going on at work for him at the time!

October 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
McKendon's Avatar Veteran
Wow, Canada is great! I will get the typical fmla 12 weeks unpaid and DH will get the same. We will only use the time we have saved up though so we can get paid while we are off. I can't afford to be off without pay
October 2nd, 2012, 06:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How much time do you get? SAHM so no time for me

Do Significant Others get any time off? I don't think he gets any pain time off, but they can take a leave and take off as much time as he wants without pay and the job will be there when he comes back. DH is getting a vasectomy the week after I have the baby so he will be taking off two weeks unpaid.

DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

October 2nd, 2012, 06:40 AM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
I will get the usual 6to 12 weeks paid depending on the type of delivery. I may take more if we have the savings for it.
October 2nd, 2012, 06:49 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How much time do you get? 52 weeks (Canada here too)

Will you be taking it all? Absolutely!! Though I may take 2 weeks off for a babymoon, so that would cut me down to 50 weeks after birth

Do Significant Others get any time off? We could share the 52 weeks.

Will you be sharing any with your Significant Other? We've decided I'm going to be selfish and take the whole thing (plus, he makes more money than me, so it makes sense). DH may take a week off, but it won't be pat leave - just holiday time.
WTTC #2
October 2nd, 2012, 06:56 AM
Veteran
Wow. A whole year... I can't even imagine. When my son was born, my work only gave me 6 weeks of short term disability. I was able to have extended to 7.5 weeks with Dr's permission. But I had only just started my job at that time. Now, I have been here a while. I am not sure how much time I will be elligable for, but my work allows for UP TO 6 months. Which is pretty huge. I think maternity leave in the US is just atrocious. I will be taking every possible second they allow.

My hubs is self employed... which means if he doesn't work, he doesn't make money... BUT he can also work his schedule around whatever he wants. I think we will save up some money so he can work a bit less for a few weeks.
October 2nd, 2012, 07:08 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How much time do you get? I can take up to the 12 weeks allowed under FMLA. You Canadian ladies are making me want to move!!

Will you be taking it all? every second of it. I took all 12 weeks with DD and I was almost ready to go back to work when it was over.

Do Significant Others get any time off? Our HR lady tried to explain that he could share my FMLA time but I didn't understand her explanation. He has his own vacation and will use that. He took a week off after DD was born.

Will you be sharing any with your Significant Other? No, he'll use his own earned time off to take some time off. I'd love it if he would stay longer than a week. Looking back, I was a little tired of him being under foot after a week but terrified of being alone with the baby. It really wasn't that bad once I did it for a couple of days.
mamamac likes this.
October 2nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am a SAHM, so no maternity leave for me.

DH works for a small company that has no official policy on paternity leave. His old boss gave him a week paid off and he could use vacation or sick time for whatever else he wanted. Frankly, I am ready for him to go back after two weeks...I am too ready to get my routine back in order. He generally takes half-days for the second week so I can get more sleep in the mornings. We will see if his new boss follows suit. Given there are only 2 men, one of whom is the boss, I don't know how it will go. But he will have some saved vacation time/sick time, so no matter what he will be home for a bit.
October 2nd, 2012, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2three2012 View Post
How much time do you get? Im in Canada so if i was working I would get the 52 weeks

Will you be taking it all? nope im a sahm so i wont be getting any

Do Significant Others get any time off? My SO is in the Canadian Military so he gets 2 weeks, we are back and forth on rather he will take more because it will depend on what is going on at work for him at the time!

My husband is a reservist, and from what we've been hearing a LOT of guys, reserve and reg force, take the full 32 weeks, or at least a good chunk, because they get topped up to 93% (dh is in a different branch of the feds now, so this also applies to him). This really only works in situations where the mom won't qualify for Mat leave (like me) or where she is eager to go back to work.

Because this is our first and my plans for keeping baby close at night, I am really looking forward to the extra help and not worrying about dh needing to be up early and on the ball for work! Plus there are a million and 2 projects around the property that hopefully he'll get a good jump on! He's not the type to sit and play video games all day.. he'll be 'working' at home! I feel very blessed that it works out so well for us.

October 2nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Im a SAHM so i dont get any time off. I think my husband gets 2 weeks off, it will be great to have him home for that time.
October 2nd, 2012, 09:12 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How much time do you get?
12 weeks with FMLA
Yes, and them some. I'm a teacher, so we will get out of school in late May. (EDD May 31) I will have all of the summer off until about mid August, then I will use my 12 weeks of maternity leave, so I'll get about 6 months at home with the baby.
Do Significant Others get any time off?
My husband will be getting out of the Army in April, so he may be out of work until August when he will return to teaching.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search