Newbie! Looking for Support and Advice Please:)

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rcross81

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Hello!! I'm a new member and I am looking to find some buddies for advice and support. I don't know anyone else who has a baby or is pregnant (hard to believe, I know) but most of my friends are just now getting married, so I feel pretty alone. I am 28 years old and this is my first. I am about 8 weeks along, and pretty scared about the whole thing. The past two weeks I feel sooo terrible! I have heartburn, mood swings, nausea, gas and bloating, food aversions, sleepiness, sore boobs, vivid dreams, and can't stand the smell of anything, even my shampoo bothers me! I have basically been living of crackers and popsicles and I'm sick of being so sick! My poor hubby has been so sweet trying to help out the best he can but he is in grad school and working. Does anyone else feel / have felt like this?? If so, any tricks for dealing with the symptoms? Also, to anyone not on their first pregnancy, please tell me how long all this will last?! Will it improve in the second trimester? Some days I feel like I'm not going to make it
October 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Veteran
there will be a time that you will have a cute belly and feel much better. for some12-16 weeks is the mark. all your symptoms are normal. eat healthy and smaller frequent meals.instead of three big meals helps alot. we r here for u! good luck!
October 15th, 2012, 06:22 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just lurking from the June DDC. I am sorry you are having a rough time! Most women get a good amount of relief around the end of the first trimester. Try to focus on just making it to the end of the first tri. Besides, if things don't start feeling better at least by the end of the first tri, you start getting to see the fun parts of pregnancy--the cute belly bump and hearing the baby's heartbeat and possible seeing an ultrasound. It doesn't take away the symptoms but it sure makes it seem a little more worth it.

Hang in there and I hope you get some relief soon. You can try a b-complex vitamin or mixing a b6 vitamin and a half a unisom. I seem to get some relief from that!

October 15th, 2012, 06:29 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also, for some reason it helps if I keep my room cool.. either by cracking a window or put on the fan. The heat makes it worse for me I also have pretty normal iron levels so doc said I am okay to take an iron-less prenatal while my m/s is horrible and then I will pick back up on the iron in a couple weeks.... I have a hard time with prenatals, so I have been taking the chewable kind and they are easier on my stomach.

Stick to ginger ale, it seems to help and eat a couple crackers before you even sit up in the morning.

October 15th, 2012, 06:33 PM
My last pregnancy with my twins, I barely had any symptoms. Maybe a little heartburn and some nausea, but bearable. This around is awful! I am nauseous 24/7 and vomit at least once per day. At night is the worst. I also have been living on crackers and fruit. I don't know how much more I can take, this is horrible! I hope to god it starts to decline soon! Yuck. All I can say is with my last pregnancy the m/s went away around the 12th week. You can get through it!!!!!
October 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! Every pregnancy is different but more women do find a big relief from all those symptoms in the second trimester. I was one of the first of my group of friends to have a baby as well so I can relate to not being able to not having a group of friends in real life who can relate I'm glad you've found us. Jump right in!

October 15th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Kristin828's Avatar Veteran
Hi! also 28, preg with my first, and many of my bff's are single or just married as well.. I do have 1 friend that's preg but she doesn't even know I am also yet! So I can totally relate This board has been great though, I'm also glad you found us! Sometimes it's just so comforting to know there's so many other girls out there going through the same things you are, even if you've never met. I hope you stick around here!

October 15th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Heyoo. I'm 25 and this is my first pregnancy. I can totally relate to your situation. Even though a lot of my girlfriends are older than me, I'm the first to really be doing the marriage and pregnancy thing, plus I have no siblings, only one (single, childless) female cousin, so I really don't have anyone close to me who's going through this now or has recently.

Anyway, up until just a few days ago pregnancy was basically the worst thing ever for me. For a week I could barely get out of bed because of back/pelvic pain and the morning sickness was just awful (but compared to a lot of women, actually quite mild, as I wasn't vomiting).

The thing that helped the morning sickness the most for me(and I only learned this at 8 weeks) was ginger ale. Hands down. Try it.

The food aversions are the most frustrating thing for me now. A lot of pregnant women find they can eat fruit easily, so definitely stock up on that. And just don't stress about your diet too much in the early stages, because the nutritional needs of the embryo are really quite marginal. A lot of women even lose weight in the first trimester and they go on to have healthy pregnancies with healthy babies.

Don't be afraid to take lots of naps. And try wearing sports bras for your boobs.

These things will pass (well, probably not the gas or sore boobs or mood swings) and allegedly the second trimester is a lot easier.
October 16th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
First of all, welcome and Congratulations, mama!

What you're experiencing-from symptoms to mood swings-is completely normal, and actually a good sign (crazy, right?) because the hormones are raging through your body and causing the issues, which means your levels are strong.

I'm 26 and this is my first pregnancy as well. I'm lucky to have supportive family and friends, but it's still overwhelming. This group has been amazing and I don't know what I'd do without them. Welcome to our little group!

I've been having many of the same symptoms as you. Rest helps for my nausea/vomiting, because movement triggers it. Try eating a few small meals throughout the day instead of 3 main meals, and nibble on saltines or graham crackers as well. Being hungry or having an empty stomach can make nausea a lot worse, so even just getting a little bit in your belly (even though that might be the absolute last thing you want to do) can do wonders. Ginger ale can help, and I've found that diluted gatorade keeps me hydrated (I just dilute it because I'm sensitive to food coloring). Lemonade is something I can keep down as well. Just experiment with different foods and liquids to see what you can tolerate. Hopefully you will start feeling better in your second trimester!

Hang in there. I know it's no fun, and hard to remember why you're going through all of this...but the end result will totally be worth it!

Have you had an ultrasound yet? If you have, we'd love to see a picture of your little bean!

Last edited by mamamac; October 16th, 2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: typo. ok, multiple typos.
October 16th, 2012, 05:48 AM
JandJC's Avatar #2 due in April!
Hi Welcome. I'm 29 and also expecting my first - when I was 28 none of my friends were interested in kids, then bam, 29 hit and we're all pregnant. It WILL get easier

Try preggo pop drops - they have been a lifesaver for me for my gagging/naseau!

Welcome, feel free to chat with us anytime. We have a great group here!

October 16th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey there, sounds like you've gotten some great advise from the other ladies on the board so I just wanted to say congrats and welcome!!
mamamac likes this.
October 16th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats and welcome!! A few more weeks and you will be feeling better soon. I am ten weeks and starting to feel better.
October 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Welcome to the board. You will find lots of support here!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search