Vomiting after taking prenatals

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2012, 08:37 PM
May 2013 Cohost
So I usually take my prenatal at night...even though it's my most nauseous time. Mostly bc I am afraid to take it earlier in the day and have it cause nausea during a time period I am usually ok. So tonight my nausea was not bad. I took a shower, then took my prenatals with some Gatorade. It comes in two pills, the second one being a gel capsule with DHA. I always take that one last bc it's my least favorite. So after I took my pills, I started brushing my teeth and that induced a gag fest, which led to me vomiting. I could see the remnants of the pills in the sink. Vomiting at night seems to now be a regularly occurring thing. I'm a little over 11 weeks. I thought morning sickness was supposed to be getting better. And now I'm worried about not getting the nutrients from the vitamins. Any ideas?
October 15th, 2012, 08:50 PM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it's the pills. I bought some with DHA in them and they made me vomit too so I had to buy a different type.

October 16th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I take my prenatal vitamin (I just take one, it's an Rx, but you might want to try a different brand/type that will make you less nauseous) at night when I'm already in bed and have brushed my teeth and showered, so I don't have to move after I take it. That might help. I'm sorry you're suffering! I wouldn't worry about missing one night's worth, but talk to your doctor about changing to another brand.
October 16th, 2012, 04:59 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would suggest trying a different type and seeing if that helps. Also taking it after brushing your teeth to avoid the gagging may help. DHA is important for the baby at this point so I wouldn't cut it out completely without first consulting your doctor. A lot of prenatals have the vitamin and dha in one pill so try finding one that's combined and only have to swallow once. I've seen a lot of people on here say the gummy prenatals work really well when they can't tolerate other prenatals as well. Also you can take 2 Flintstone vitamins a day instead if you simply cannot handle any of the prenatals. My OB says it's not ideal, but he understands some women's stomachs just can't handle the prenatal and it's certainly better than nothing at all. I hope it gets better for you.
October 16th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I take the flinstone vitamis because the prenatials make me sick, it has worked great for me so it might be worth a try. I hope you find something that does not make you sick.
October 16th, 2012, 05:54 AM
JandJC's Avatar #2 due in April!
My best friend had the same problem. She could take the prenatal ok, but the DHA always made her lose it. She eventually bought a different brand that was just one pill that had DHA in it. I wouldn't worry about missing a few pills here and there. I have skipped my prenatals entirely the nights I've really felt crappy.

October 16th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
popping in from the April DDC

I, too, take the Flinstone's Gummies - it's so much easier and they don't make me sick. They do not have DHA but I do take Fish Oil capsules in the morning after breakfast (but I have been taking them for years so that's probably why they don't bother me)

I would try the gummies, they are much easier on your GI tract. The days I couldn't stomach my vitamin, I at least made sure I took a Folic Acid.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

October 16th, 2012, 09:55 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Also, the reason I have been taking the pills before I brush my teeth is because I can only get them down with Gatorade or juice. I'm unable to do water bc the thought of it makes me sick. Definitely am going to cut out the DHA pill for now and talk to my doc on Friday about other options, this is miserable!
October 16th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Also, the reason I have been taking the pills before I brush my teeth is because I can only get them down with Gatorade or juice. I'm unable to do water bc the thought of it makes me sick. Definitely am going to cut out the DHA pill for now and talk to my doc on Friday about other options, this is miserable!
I'm the same way, but I just drink the gatorade or juice after I brush my teeth even though it tastes funny. That taste might really bother you, though.

One of the OB nurses mentioned that 1 Flintstones Chewable Complete pill twice a day is ok.

I just realized, the Flintstones...Flint Stones...because they're from the stone age. Flint! Fire! Stone! Ha! I promise, I really am an educated woman.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search