Maternity clothes

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't really shown so much. My belly is still small.
So I have managed to get away with wearing comfy stretchy yoga style pants. I honestly don't remember wearing jeans since I was about 14 weeks.
Plus my work provides all our scrubs for us and even has a laundry service so I have never washed my own scrubs.

Well I can easily fit my scrubs now... I wear a small and even in the small the scrubs were huge. Now they fit ALOT better.
I just was wondering what types of maternity clothes are your fave. Is it worth buying an entire wardrobe or just simple items?

I don't plan on having any more babies after this one for at least another 3-5 years.. So my maternity clothes will be thrown away or given away.
December 19th, 2012, 10:27 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm into dresses and leggings right now. I'm just doing a larger sized regular dress and leggings at the moment. I think I'll stick with dresses the entire time though. I'll be working until I deliver, and our dress code for teachers is business casual.

Nichole

Last edited by MrsNHigh; December 19th, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
December 19th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just wear yoga pants and normal tops and hoodies. I despise maternity pants, and the only pair I'll probably wear through the whole pregnancy is my maternity jeans. The rest of the time, it will be my yoga pants or studio pants (lululemon stuff).

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
December 19th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i'm super cheap, so i suggest buying as few maternity clothes as possible. ask around in your community and/or check out craigslist, since maternity clothing is so specific a lot of women are willing to give them away after they've had children, and i'd also check thrift stores.

you should also look into things you could potentially wear after the birth... wrap (and other style..) dresses, for example, can be very forgiving. i'm 20 weeks and despite having gained 20 lbs i can wear a pair of my low-rise jeans that were already a size or two too large (unbuttoned.. ) without any problems.

i seem to recall you lost quite a bit of weight over the past year, so if you happen to have held onto any of your old clothes you might be able to get away with those for a good little while.
mamamac likes this.
December 19th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Redneck_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I too despise maternity pants. They are the worst. The jeans are made specifically for a man with a beer belly. Certainly not for a pregnant woman with hips. The cotton stretchy kind, or leggings aren't too bad. One of my friends loaned me all her maternity stuff, and another one gave me all her maternity stuff. When I give back the borrowed clothes, I'll add the given clothes to the lot. I have bought a few things only because both sets of clothes I got are summer clothes. It's 80 here today, so I'm getting use out of the stuff today.
Now that I've rambled on, I would suggest only buying necessities at full price, and would absolutely check resale shops.
December 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I only have a few maternity items. Im barely showing and have never needed maternity stuff till 6 months or so.
December 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
i'm super cheap, so i suggest buying as few maternity clothes as possible. ask around in your community and/or check out craigslist, since maternity clothing is so specific a lot of women are willing to give them away after they've had children, and i'd also check thrift stores.

you should also look into things you could potentially wear after the birth... wrap (and other style..) dresses, for example, can be very forgiving. i'm 20 weeks and despite having gained 20 lbs i can wear a pair of my low-rise jeans that were already a size or two too large (unbuttoned.. ) without any problems.

i seem to recall you lost quite a bit of weight over the past year, so if you happen to have held onto any of your old clothes you might be able to get away with those for a good little while.

Yea definitely I found some old chubby jeans and have been able to sneak those back into my life. Along with my tops which are getting snug. If I had know I would need them again for an unexpected pregnancy I would have gladly saved them lol
But most of my big clothing are summer items. And here it's looking like a blizzard!!
Hmmm I've never thought to go to a thrift shop. Good idea. Thanks
December 19th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I saw this chic lady leaving target the other day, and she had done serious pregnant style. It almost made me want to spend a small fortune on a beautiful wardrobe. Almost. Ohhhh, to win the lottery...
laroussell, rheaimedved and TeeCee like this.

Nichole
December 19th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I have gotten the few items I have from a consignment store. I have bought three nice name brand maternity jeans for $7 each and 3 maternity shirts for about $4-5 each. I don't know if I'll get anything else that is just maternity, I'll probably expand my "comfy clothes" selection a bit more though.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
December 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNHigh View Post
I saw this chic lady leaving target the other day, and she had done serious pregnant style. It almost made me want to spend a small fortune on a beautiful wardrobe. Almost. Ohhhh, to win the lottery...
Ahhhh how amazing that would be.
To bad I'm on an income big enough for just me and the baby.
December 19th, 2012, 12:39 PM
And it wouldn't make any sense to spend so much for such a short time. Sigh...
TeeCee likes this.

Nichole
December 19th, 2012, 12:52 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have one pair of maternity pants from motherhood that I bought when I first found out just because. I surely wouldn't spend that much money on a pair now though. I've bought a few pairs of pants and some shirts from Ross. They have cute tops from like $7-15 and pants from $10-15. I don't need a lot, but I do like to look decent when I go out so I figure a couple pairs of pants and some nice tops I can wear to court and work are plenty. I like dresses, but too lazy to shave my legs so they only go so far. lol
December 19th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Ugh, forgot about shaving! I'll invest in a electric shaver before spring comes around! Lol!
misty3281 likes this.

Nichole
December 19th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh Ross?
I didn't even think to go shop there..
Dang, I shoulda asked weeks ago.
MrsNHigh and rheaimedved like this.
December 19th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I say H&M skinny jeans fit me the best. I'm generally a size small or x-small so i can wear larger size tops from forever 21 but couldn't fit in any other place's jeans. All the other places, motherhood, target, destination mat were all too baggy and too long especially inn the crotch. The H&M ones fit like a dream. love them. They have cute dresses and tops too but I haven't bought any there.
TeeCee likes this.

December 19th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNHigh View Post
Ugh, forgot about shaving! I'll invest in a electric shaver before spring comes around! Lol!
ladies, ladies... epilators are where it's at! i have friends who swear they're worth their weight in gold (i've seen the results... it's like magic). it's going to be my first purchase once i'm back home (i would've bought one months ago but i don't want to deal with using an electricity converter forever).
December 19th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran
what's that? I bought a few pieces, but am mostly in comfy yoga pants.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!

December 19th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
ladies, ladies... epilators are where it's at! i have friends who swear they're worth their weight in gold (i've seen the results... it's like magic). it's going to be my first purchase once i'm back home (i would've bought one months ago but i don't want to deal with using an electricity converter forever).
What is that?
December 20th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
epilators are basically mechanical tweezers. they look and sound terrifying, and from what i hear the first time especially is quite painful, but once you get into the habit of using it, you only need to do ~15 min of maintenance about once a week. my friends use them on their legs and underarms and I've been personally amazed by the results i've seen on them. they've very popular in eatern europe (and i think they were invented in israel)..
TeeCee likes this.
December 20th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
epilators are basically mechanical tweezers. they look and sound terrifying, and from what i hear the first time especially is quite painful, but once you get into the habit of using it, you only need to do ~15 min of maintenance about once a week. my friends use them on their legs and underarms and I've been personally amazed by the results i've seen on them. they've very popular in eatern europe (and i think they were invented in israel)..
Hmmm that's interesting.
I had never heard of those.
And is it suppose to slow the regrowth of hair?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search