Useless Baby Items

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree35Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ha, the diaper genie, I hate those things!
January 8th, 2013, 05:02 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I hate the diaper genie as well. What a waste if plastic bags. I keep the store plastic bags when I go shopping and throw all the poopie diapers in there and right out into the trash. The diaper genie doesnt help keep the poop smell away at all.

I also used the changing table. I dont like bending over when changing baby. I also like the basket for the dish washer. Great for washing nipples and valves without losing them.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy

Last edited by jcperez; January 8th, 2013 at 05:10 AM.
January 9th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Veteran
I really researched and asked a lot of questions before I had DS so I don't think we had much useless things.

We didn't get a wipe warmer since I read that it was a fire hazard and several BTDT moms told me they weren't worth it. We got the Diaper Champ instead of the Genie because you can use regular trash bags in it and it rocks, you never smell the poopy diapers. I went with a dresser and changing pad instead of the changing table because we didn't have enough cash to buy both and I knew the dresser would be useful for years to come.

Now things I would change, those sweet little gliders they sell with the nursery furniture? Yeah, ours broke within 3 months and was uncomfortable to sit in for the long periods of time it took to get DS to sleep. Also it was hard to get all his milk vomit off the cushions. FTMs either get a NICE glider with removable and washable covers or buy yourself a nice leather rocker recliner! That's what we did, the leather is super easy to clean and it is so comfy to feed/rock/sleep in with baby. Also those cute, tiny cotton oval shaped burp cloths are completely useless. At least for my reflux baby. They are too small and not absorbent at all. IMO burp cloths are basically to stop vomit from getting all over you, towels did the job WAY better for us!

January 9th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Expecting a boy in May!
I LOVE the wipes warmer for our cloth wipes. The tiny receiving blankets are worthless except to cut up as cloth wipes. Invest in nice big muslin swaddling blankets.
January 9th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
The swing... DS hated it. And again with the receiving blankets. They were great for burp clothes later on, but we used to have to use two to keep him in a swaddle.

And for us, the bottles we originally bought ended up being useless. He ONLY liked Dr. Brown's and he only used them for about a month and a half before I quit work and EBF.

My Boring Blog
January 9th, 2013, 06:08 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I love my diaper genie! They do seem to keep the smell out. But yeah, I hate having to buy the special bags to go in. I didn't know the Diaper Champ used regular bags...I might have picked that one then.
January 10th, 2013, 02:18 AM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
I have to agree about the bottle warmer. What a waste of time and money! Eventually I figured a way to heat up a bottle perfectly in the microwave (though I know there are probably tons of people out there advocating reasons NOT to do so), and it was the quickest and easiest way that worked for us . So yea... Definitely no bottle warmer for us this time around! ;P

January 10th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
definitely agree with the bottle warmer (you're only supposed to warm breastmilk under hot/warm water because microwaves and excessive heat from bottle warmers destroy the nutrients)

and the changing table, high chair (the one that attaches to your chair takes up way less space!)

January 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Ok, I loved my bottle warmer! I used breastmilk only and I knew the perfect time to take it out so it wasn't too hot. It was way faster than putting it in a cup of hot water and waiting!
January 10th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Regular
The vibrating chair what a waste! Diaper Genie useless! We just placed dirty diapers in grocery bags and took the trash out everyday. Never had any issues.

Used my changing table everyday all day! We used a portable high chair that fastened into your dinning room chair. Awesome!!! Didnt take up any space
August 12th, 2013, 02:57 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Ok, so now that we're about 3 months in, what items do you have currently that didn't work or you never used?
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 12th, 2013, 03:13 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only thing I got that I don't use is my diaper bag. It only took a couple of weeks for me to realize that I didn't like carrying that big bag around. By the time the carseat and bag are in the shopping basket there's no room for anything else. I ended up buying a large purse that was easier to carry around and keep t stocked with what I need. The big diaper bag stats stocked in the car for if I run out of something or need to leave her with mom for work.
ashj_1218 and EverydayJoy like this.
August 12th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There's not much I haven't used as a second time mum I didn't buy much i just wish they wouldn't grow out their clothes so quickly x
EverydayJoy likes this.

August 12th, 2013, 07:50 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I went back and read my answer and funnily enough...we got a changing table this time around Jo kept getting kneed, kicked, bumped in the head during changes cause the boys were jumping around her. So I rigged up a little kneeling changing station (regular changing table height is awful for a tall person) and it's perfect.

And Jo likes her swing just fine

As far as useless with her...not much. We actually find she is our baby who needed more stuff. We had to take out stock in burp cloths! And bibs. And more clothes. And she loves all the equipment.

But I can say the pack-n-play has been pretty useless this time around. She sleeps with me, wont lay in it no matter where we are. So I already packed it up and she had no sleeping furniture in her room (her crib is side-carred in our room, but she sleeps in my arms).
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 12th, 2013, 09:27 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
She sleeps with me, wont lay in it no matter where we are. So I already packed it up and she had no sleeping furniture in her room (her crib is side-carred in our room, but she sleeps in my arms).
I just wanted to say the mental image of her sleeping peacefully in the crook of your arm made me smile.
I sneak Kody into bed with me often and more so when Josh is gone.

Something I thought I'd use but didn't is our changing table. With DS I used it faithfully until he grew out of it. With Kody, I just change him on the fly, it's much easier than heading back to the bedroom to change him. I usually just use a blanket or something under him for "just in case", but he has really good bladder control and has only peed on me once so far! Ethan was the same way, they would save their peeing and pooping generally for the diaper and not for during changings.
The wipe warmer this time around hasn't been as much use, but it was nice for at first. He still throws his arms out when the wipes hit his little bum, but at this point I don't leave the warmer on because with it being so hot out anyway, the wipes dry out.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 12th, 2013, 10:43 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Joy, same with me! I was a faithful changing table user with my first, too...but now I mostly change her on my bed on a waterproof pad. I change her after a feeding, which I do on my bed while my son sits next to me playing iPad. Good times

I think I will use it more when I transition her to her room fully, but I like having her in our room bc I don't have to worry about her waking up her brother. The one night I tried her in her crib I ended up with that clog, and I was paranoid he would hear her the whole time...I ended up bringing her back in to our room by 1:30 am.
August 13th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The PnP and vibrating chair are never used. We use the RnP rather than PnP for traveling and the vibrating chair he doesnt like so we always use the swing or bouncy seat...just like my first son.

August 13th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Super Mommy
Sad to go back and see all the people we no longer hear from

We don't use the activity mat hardly at all. He would rather lay and look around the room than have those danglies in his face! Also- two piece outfits....Wy has such a long torso that all the tshirts leave him with a bare midriff! Lol. We stick with onesies!
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 13th, 2013, 09:21 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL about the bare midriff! That *might* be fine for a girl, but not so good for a boy!
rheaimedved likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
All the onesies I bought/was given... useless with cloth diapers! Also, all clothing 3 months or smaller, also useless. We also totally just change him wherever he is... got peed on a few times earlier on but now we're pretty quick about it and it hasn't happened in awhile. He was NOT into the swing for the first 2.5 months, but suddenly likes it! So, result! Really glad we got an infant car seat (instead of just the supposedly infancy-toddlerhood seat we initially bought; NOT designed for infants!). Never bought a diaper bag, just throw a couple diapers and an extra rag or two in my large purse and keep wipes in the car.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search