Useless Baby Items

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree35Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I thought this would be a fun thread for BTDT Moms to share with FTM (First Time Moms). What was one baby item you purchased or received that you ended up not using, or thought was useless?

I have two. First, I bought these two extra top dishwasher baskets. I ended up never using them. I washed bottles and nipples by hand, then boiled them or let them air dry. We had to boil them bc my son got thrush twice. My second item is the wipe warmer. We had a winter baby, so I was convinced I needed one. But there was no plug near our changing table so I ended up not using it. Turns out we never needed one!
Whiterozse likes this.
January 7th, 2013, 08:48 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think fancy clothes are useless. I keep things simple, and I don't like making my kid uncomfortable so he can look cute. My 4 year old only wears athletic pants because he loathes the feel of any other kind of pants. I won't be putting the baby in suits or stiff clothes just so people can ooh and aah over his outfit.

Nichole
January 7th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great thread!!! And one I'll definitely be watching!!

(And from what I heard, the wipe warmers dry the wipes out anyways!)
jcperez, mommaerin and MrsNHigh like this.
WTTC #2
January 7th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
As a FTM, I'm excited to read the rest of this thread, but I will say the exception that I have researched is that wipes warmers come in really hand when cloth diapering and using cloth wipes. They do little to nothing as far as keeping the baby warm, but they are a great place to store pre moistened cloth wipes.
ashj_1218 likes this.

January 7th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
Bottle warmer - room temp bottles suit babes just fine, however if you want to warm it, setting it in a warm cup of water works just as well. For those warming breast milk, it was almost faster for me to rewarm the breast milk in a hot cup of water then the bottle warmer. I seemed to set it in the bottle warmer longer then needed at times and the milk was to hot and I needed to cool it or babe was so hungry it seemed to take forever to get it to the right temp.
jcperez, mamamac and MrsNHigh like this.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
January 7th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Changing table.

I used a changing caddy instead, i found it easier to change the baby wherever was easier for me.
MrsNHigh likes this.
January 7th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The vibrating chairs. My son hated them, they fid. nothing for him. Id invest in a bouncer or swing instead.

Also the typical receiving blankets are crap. Theyre so small and shrink to nothing.
Purrrrrrr, laroussell and jcperez like this.

January 7th, 2013, 10:11 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the bottle basket that goes into the top rack of the dishwasher, I never used that either. I washed out the milk by hand and then used microwave sterilization bags (the most awesome things ever, BTW) for the few times I needed to give DS a bottle. When he got older I didn't worry about sterilizing, but when he was little I wanted to be careful with his little immune system.
The wipe warmer in our case was a life saver, DS was born in January in Alaska, and our cabin was drafty. DS would cry every time the cold wipe hit his bum, so my mom sent a wipe warmer and it made changing time so much better.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 7th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
Changing table. We bought a dresser with a changing table on top and used it maybe twice? It was just easier to change him in the crib or living room floor on a blanket.
Liztastic, Sweet_Mama and mamamac like this.
January 7th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
A wipes warmer would have been useless for us.

I got WAY too many washcloths and receiving blankets. I used some, but wow, you don't need THAT many.

Expensive clothes before they're 4 years old. LOL. It's true though! My first DD has only just slowed in her growth enough to get more than 1 season out of her clothes. Babies grow SO FAST in the first year, buying expensive stuff is such a huge waste. I stick to Carters mainly for when they're babies!

Change table - we never had one, both the dressers we bought for both our girls came with a change pad for the top of the dresser. Used it ALL the time.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
January 7th, 2013, 11:04 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Some really good responses. I have to agree on the wipe warmer being useless (unless you have a baby in January and live in Alaska!) Then I think it would really come in handy. This being my 3rd, I have to say all the really expensive baby gear is a total waste of money. I was just looking on the Babies R Us website and some of the strollers and in baby gear they have on there are just plain RIDICULOUSLY overpriced and over rated! Strollers for almost a thousand dollars???
Keep it simple. Im not getting a swing this time around. I would rather put baby in an infant chair and save the room. Also, I don't want a huge high chair either. Im going to get the one the buckles to the chair at the table and can be used in the infant and toddler stages.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
January 7th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
Newborn outfits. U only need a few for the first week or two. n my babies grew out of them fast. I just took all the newborn clothes back n bought bigger sizes. Especially if ur baby is over 8 lbs u won't use them as much.

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

January 7th, 2013, 11:35 AM
My little guy was 6 lbs 8 oz, and he needed the newborn outfits, but some moms never need them at all! With bigger babies, they can sometimes go right into the 0-3 months size.

Jessica--we have one of those strap-on high chair/booster thing that goes on your dining room chair, and we love it. We never had a traditional high chair and never missed it!
laroussell, jcperez and MrsNHigh like this.

January 7th, 2013, 11:36 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Mama View Post
Newborn outfits. U only need a few for the first week or two. n my babies grew out of them fast. I just took all the newborn clothes back n bought bigger sizes. Especially if ur baby is over 8 lbs u won't use them as much.
Good one! My son weighed 7lbs 15oz, and he didn't fit in any newborn outfits.
Sweet_Mama likes this.

Nichole
January 7th, 2013, 11:39 AM
BeccaC17's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree that the changing table was a waste of money for us. We never used it and it's now just a place for storage.
Sweet_Mama likes this.

January 7th, 2013, 11:44 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Our swing was useless. Took up a bunch of space and both boys hated it. I hope Jo likes it, otherwise it was a huge waste of 140 bucks! But I think that is a pretty uncommon one.

We never purchased a changing receptacle and never missed it. The couch, beds, crib, floor, etc work just fine for changes.

But strange some of the things you ladies mentioned are staples in my house! That dishwasher basket is da bomb! We wash all of the sippy cup valves and straws in it so they don't get lost in the dishwasher tub. We also do all the baby spoons and forks, since they are so light, they tend to come out of the silverware basket. We love it! And the wipes warmer for cloth wipes is awesome. Haha. I wouldnt use it for regular wipes, nor would I buy one new. But it makes cloth wipes so easy.
January 7th, 2013, 11:47 AM
True, some of the things mentioned here were things I found very useful. The changing table, I used for every change until DS grew out of it. Now it stores diapers and toys. Heh. I think different moms will find different things useful for them!

January 7th, 2013, 12:24 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Mama View Post
I had to bring back newborn clothes as well. I dont know what I was thinking when I bought them. They only go up to 8 lbs. my babies come out 8 lbs.
Sweet_Mama likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
January 7th, 2013, 12:24 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I used the changing table exclusively for all diaper changes, too! I don't like changing him anywhere else bc it can get messy! Like in the beginning, he'd pee as soon as we took his diaper off...and he sometimes would poop too! The diaper genie is right next to it, so all dirty wipes and diapers go right in there. I can't imagine having to carry them up to the trash. I have back issues too, so I depend on my changing table! I can't bend down on the floor to change.

We already have a basket in the top rack of our dishwasher (it came with dishwasher) that holds all our valves and toddler silverware, but maybe we will finally need to use the extra one I bought since we will have more stuff?!

We used newborn sizes the first month or so. The 0-3 month size was way too big, so on day 2 at home, I sent hubby out to Babies R U to buy a bunch of Carters, newborn sized, long sleeved, footed onesies. My guy was 7 lb, 9 oz and dropped one pound in the first few days after birth. And we went through a lot of outfits per day due to various reasons - wet, poopy, spit up...prob 3-4 a day. So we ended up buying at least 10 long footed onesies in newborn size. That's all he wore though, the long sleeved footed onesies, bc it was winter. Oh we also got at least 10 long sleeved, side snap undershirts to go under them.

Last edited by kary4; January 7th, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
January 7th, 2013, 07:50 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the diaper genie. I'm so glad I found some diaper disposal bags at the dollar store. 75 bags for $1 and a regular garbage can and it works as well as the diaper genie and the expensive refills.

We still use the changing table every day.

I LOVE the high chair that straps to the chair. It's so portable so we take it with us all the time and don't have to worry about where DD is going to sit to eat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search