Kind of a personal topic but...

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree28Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 05:23 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had to giggle at a shave meet-up! I don't think I know you ladies that well yet!

I am curious about waxing...I don't think I'd ever do it because I'm too self-conscious to have someone else do it for me. For those of you that have...how did you get past that? Is it really pretty painful? And doesn't the hair start to grow back in a couple of weeks anyway? You know how hair grows faster when you're pregnant!
MrsNHigh and rheaimedved like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Last edited by EverydayJoy; January 7th, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
January 7th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Whiterozse's Avatar Veteran
Waxing scares the beegeezus outta me! I haven't lost sight yet, but was wondering how this would all "go down" once I did. Thanks ladies
mamamac likes this.

January 7th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been interested in Sugaring vs. waxing... I've heard it's not pleasant, but it's not quite as painful....

Could we start calling it Labour Pain Prep Courses?
Memi and EverydayJoy like this.

January 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what in the world is sugaring?

I think I'd be mortified to get a wax, even moreso while PG...
January 7th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's a lot like waxing but a less irritating, often slightly less painful option
Sugaring Hair Removal- How sugaring Gel and Paste Works, Pros, Cons & Prices
Rhonda66 and EverydayJoy like this.

January 8th, 2013, 06:45 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
when I shave, I always just go bald. at this point, I'm more than halfway through my third pregnancy in 5 years, it's winter, and I just don't care. I trim it as needed but I do not bother wasting my energy making it pretty. that can come later lol

it's funny how you care less with each pregnancy.

January 8th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm with Joy as far as questions. I really want to get waxed but I am scared to death!! I would worry what the "waxer" is thinking? how painful it is? how long it lasts? should I get the "whole thing" waxed? how long does it last? My big problem with it is getting over letting someone down there to do it. It would be really nice to get it done before labor though, just to feel neat and clean

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

January 8th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly M. View Post
I'm with Joy as far as questions. I really want to get waxed but I am scared to death!! I would worry what the "waxer" is thinking? how painful it is? how long it lasts? should I get the "whole thing" waxed? how long does it last? My big problem with it is getting over letting someone down there to do it. It would be really nice to get it done before labor though, just to feel neat and clean
granted i've never actually gotten waxed, but it helps me to think about the fact that it's their job and they see tons of vaginas all the time. i suspect if you can get over that awkwardness once, you might find it was totally worth it. also look on yelp/online for reviews of places that do brazlian waxes (or sugaring, i guess)... that can help lead to you a place others have had positive experiences with, which might help you feel more comfortable with the idea. i found good reviews of someone who is 23 miles away, but i might make the drive just because that would make me more comfortable than going somewhere with no reviews at all.

the big question i have, is do i mention that i'm pregnant when making the appointment???
January 8th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used to shave there but my ob said it is not advised while pregnant so im not shaving right now.
January 8th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Hm I wonder why an OB wouldn't advise it? Maybe just to avoid cuts?

January 8th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Because if you get a cut infected in that area it can cause harm to the baby. I figure its only 9 months and usually shorter for me so i dont mind.
January 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
I thought of waxing, but wasn't sure if it was a good idea while preggerz. That being said.. I will impart my brazilian waxing experience .. I've had it done several times over the years, so here we are.

I made sure to go to a professional salon, obviously, and looked for good reviews. ANd like it was said previously, they do it all the time. Plus, they'll generally talk to you about other things to keep your mind off of it - or they can walk you through exactly what they're doing - whatever you're more comfortable with. The girl I saw first was talking about her boyfriend asking if she did lots of brazilians, etc.. she said she generally did a couple a day. They're professional so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I think it only took about 30 minutes and the pain was pretty much down to a tingle by the time I got off the bench. It's almost more of a shock than pain.

The best part - it lasts for about 3 months - they won't catch every hair though..just an FYI (they'll tweeze the obvious stuff they miss, but won't catch everything). You'll be red for a couple days, and you'll need to exfoliate down there so you don't get ingrown hairs - that'll be sensitive for a few days.

To wax, you'll need to have not shaved for a couple weeks (you can trim, but leave some for the wax to grab onto). You want about 1/4" hair length.

Oh, and if you get a FULL brazilian.. they'll do your butt crack too..

Tip #1 - Take a tylenol about 30-45 mins before the appointment
Tip #2 - If you need to walk down stairs right after the appointment, make sure you're stable on your feet.. (I may have tripped on the last couple stairs.. LOL).

Note.. most places use tea tree oil as aftercare (at least they do here) ... there have been no studies on whether or not it has an effect on pregnancy, so you might want to ask them what they use for aftercare and make a decision that way as well.
Elly M. likes this.
NTNP #2
January 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks Michelle, that was very informative!

January 8th, 2013, 10:38 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think if I were to go get it waxed, I'd have to not be pregnant so I can take a couple of shots or some ativan beforehand LOL
EverydayJoy likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm still doing ok - I use a trimmer. I can't stand shaving it all away, makes me itchy! I just trim it nice and short.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
January 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My goodness, waxing sounds worse than giving birth!
January 9th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Rhonda, maybe they'll give you an epidural!

January 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I've heard Brazilians are more painful during pregnancy bc of the increased blood flow down there. I wouldn't recommend trying it for the first time while pregnant. I've also read some cases of getting burns or infections due to inexperienced waxers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search