BTDT Moms: Breastfeeding Pillows

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Liztastic
  • 1 Post By mrsjl
  • 1 Post By Ryan and Alex's Mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Did you use one (or more)? Did you like it? Would you recommend it?

It seems like the boppy pillow is the standard, but My Brest Friend and mombo are the frontrunners.

This looks interesting, too: Amazon.com: Dr. Brown's Gia Nursing Pillow: Baby.
January 7th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I've always had a boppy, but honestly a normal sleeping pillow works really well too. The boppy works well in the traditional nursing position. However my last DD liked being nursed in the football hold so a regular sleeping pillow worked best.
mamamac likes this.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
January 7th, 2013, 12:16 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I used My Brest Friend for the first 6-8 weeks or so until we both got the hang of it. It was nice bc it gives you proper form, you strap it around your waist, and you can literally be hands free. Then we switched to a regular pillow. I found the Boppy too bulky and not the right shape for nursing, although I used it for tummy time and to assist him sitting up when he was older.
January 7th, 2013, 12:54 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only tried the Boppy and I didn't like it, I felt that it needed to be inclined on one end because how it is felt like it left the baby's head too low to breastfeed comfortably. I felt like I was still having to support the baby and so I switched to a regular bed pillow instead. I had a down pillow that I could squish into the shape I needed. I wouldn't mind a better shaped pillow, if it wasn't too spendy.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Veteran
I tried them all. At first, I didn't think I needed one because I wanted the arm workout. After 6 months-ish, ds got too heavy to hold for ten minutes withoutoving so I tried the Brest friend pillow. I didn't like it because it was impossible to lean back during a feed. It was great if I was sitting on the floor without a backrest because it forces you to maintain a good posture. My glider however was too reclined to be comfortable. So I then got a boppy. I loved it. We took it everywhere, and when ds started sleeping with a pillow, he wanted the boppy. He just turned 5 and started using a regular pillow within the last couple of months.

January 7th, 2013, 02:56 PM
TGill's Avatar Expecting #2
Hated the Boppy. Going to try out the My Brest Friend one this time around.

Tricia - due May 2, 2013
January 7th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like I need to try them out for myself. Thanks!
January 7th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I used the boppy body pillow for nursing the most. I wrapped it around myself so I could nurse in the foot ball hold when he was a newborn. I used the regular boppy if I was going out and wanted to nurse. When he got older, the regular boppy wasn't long enough for him, so I exclusively used the pregnancy boppy.

My Boring Blog
January 7th, 2013, 08:08 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved my Boppy. I got one as a hand me down from a friend and one as a shower gift which was awesome. One stayed in the nursery and one in the living room so I never had to go looking for the boppy when it was time to nurse. I still use the Boppy as a pillow in the living room.
January 8th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved the boppy because it was so easy to transfer from one side to the other and it could be used for other things.
January 8th, 2013, 05:43 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
any pillow will do!

I actually do really like the boppy though because when they are learning to sit up on their own, it's nice to sit them in the middle of it in case they topple over. but again, if you don't want to spend the money, a regular pillow (or two) will do the trick just fine.
Liztastic likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 06:16 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I too thought the boppy pillow was too bulky for nursing. With my last son I nursed him mostly laying on my side. I like the boppy for propping the baby and when they first learn to sit.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
January 8th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have one but didn't like to use it for feeding, i just layed baby on it when he was awake and i'd talk to him.
rheaimedved likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I have the boppy and dig it no complaints here but we use regular pillows too

January 9th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Super Mommy
I just used the regular sleeping pillow.. sometimes I did not even use anything, just my arms
January 10th, 2013, 02:09 AM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
I've only had experience with the Boppy and-- me being the plus size chick that I am-- it was NOT working! I could hardly get the thing to fit around my waist let alone stay in place. In a way I guess it didn't matter, though, since DS was never able to really breastfeed ;(. I think I'll look into one of those adjustable nursing pillows if I am able to breastfeed this time around, though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search