Who's Had C-Section Before?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I had DS, the delivering Doctor said that I should have a c-section if I ever have any more children because DS got stuck in the birth canal and they thought his shoulder was injured when they had to force him out. DS was kind of large at about 8.5 pounds and he had a really big head, so big that my family called him "testa" (Italian for head) for a long time. I tore pretty good and had an episiotomy as well. The rest of the birth was fairly uneventful and fast so I forgot about it until DH reminded me.

I mentioned this to my current Doctor who seems to be a bit anti-c-section and she said she wouldn't worry about it unless they had to use the vacuum or forceps on him or if his shoulder actually was injured. I thought I would be okay with going the vag birth again, but as I'm getting closer, I'm starting to get a bit anxious about this baby getting stuck as well and I'm wondering if I should be pushing a little more for the c-section.

For those who have had one before, how bad is it? Is it more dangerous for the mother and/or the baby? If the baby has a good chance of getting stuck and my past Doctor said I should have one if I ever have another baby, should I?
January 7th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, it is more dangerous for the baby and the mother. IMO c sections have become far too routine. I had one with DS and while I know this isnt everyones experience it was a nightmare! The recovery was so brutal I couldnt do anything on my own for weeks! Long story short im fighting to get a vaginal birth this time as ill do anything to avoid that experience again!! I feel like a lot of woman look at it as the easy way out but there was nothing ideal or easy about my c section. Its scarred my memory of my child's birth.

January 7th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Veteran
I had a c-section and it was the worst pain I've ever experienced. However, with that being said, I was on pitocin for over 21 hours...my OB says if you go in prepared for a c-section it is sooo much easier. You can get pain meds beforehand and you aren't in the hours of labor which makes things so much harder.
January 7th, 2013, 06:16 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I am scared to death of getting a c-section. I am also scared of the baby getting stuck in the canal.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
January 7th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had 2 c sections, first was ok second hurt way more...i had to have my mil come everyday for a week till hubby got off work because i couldn't do anything...expecially with a newborn and a 2 year old. I'll be having a 3rd c section and am going to request pain meds like before it starts. But the only reason it actually hurt more is because your uterus contracts back to normal and it gets worse with each pregnancy. I felt like i was in labour after giving the c section, it was horrible.

January 7th, 2013, 07:05 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Rhonda, I wouldn't worry about what your old doc said...I'd go with what the new one recommends. Also, I would think this time around the baby has less chance of getting stuck bc you have already been stretched, know what I mean?
January 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
this is my biggest fear too. DD had to be vacuumed out, I had a 4th degree tear and an episiotomy. It was just plain awful.

Every time we talk about labor, the doctor has said that I could do an elective C section if that is what I choose. I'm so reluctant to do that though because while labor and delivery were terrible, the recovery was no big deal. I've been working on putting together a plan A and a plan B. Plan A would be go into labor on my own and deliver vaginally. Plan B would be to identify certain circumstances where we would look at a C section instead.

Each doctor I've seen so far has supported this plan. They also have shared that for most women, the second delivery is easier than the first. I feel like my first experience was so bad that the second one can't possibly be worst.
Rhonda66 likes this.
January 7th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know what they do if the baby does get stuck and they can't get it out worst case scenario? Emergency c-section? I remember them telling me I needed to push him out now because his heart rate was decelerating, but I don't recall them saying anything about what would happen if he didn't come out then. They did ask if I would mind if they tried the vacuum or forceps to get him out and I was like "do whatever you have to..." but thankfully it didn't come to that...I was surprised the Doctor was so adamant about having a c-section if I ever had another and knowing that most docs, like my current one, aren't quick to say that, I wonder why she did and if she saw something that was serious enough to warrant it...I'm definitely not looking for a way "out" or anything like that, but if I'm likely to end up in an emergency c-section situation anyway I'd much rather go for a planned one so at least I can be prepared and less frightened about the outcome than I was last time - though the worry was for about 2 minutes of the whole l&d so it was quickly forgotten...

I'm with jcperez, I'm scared to death of having a c-section, but I'm even more afraid of baby getting stuck...I'm really becoming very torn on this, but my Doctor is good and she said we'll monitor the size of the baby, hopefully she'll be smaller than DS, but if she has to take the baby earlier, than that will be okay too so it's all very up in the air still...
January 7th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure what happened with DD. All I know is I closed my eyes to push and when I opened them, there were another 8 extra nurses in the room and the doctor said she was going to vacuum her out. I assume her heart was decelerating or something where she had to be delivered right away. I'm not sure what would have happened if the doctor couldn't get her vacuumed out.
January 7th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswife View Post
this is my biggest fear too. DD had to be vacuumed out, I had a 4th degree tear and an episiotomy. It was just plain awful.

Every time we talk about labor, the doctor has said that I could do an elective C section if that is what I choose. I'm so reluctant to do that though because while labor and delivery were terrible, the recovery was no big deal. I've been working on putting together a plan A and a plan B. Plan A would be go into labor on my own and deliver vaginally. Plan B would be to identify certain circumstances where we would look at a C section instead.

Each doctor I've seen so far has supported this plan. They also have shared that for most women, the second delivery is easier than the first. I feel like my first experience was so bad that the second one can't possibly be worst.
Yes, that is exactly what I went through as well, but you actually had the vacuum, ugh. My whole l&d was only about 5 hours so overall it went so fast I could barely even recall most of it, I was braver at the beginning of this pregnancy, thinking it should be easier the second time around, yet I keep hearing the delivering Doctor's almost stern warning to have a c-section if I ever had another. I think I'm going to have to do the Plan A, Plan B thing too, maybe it will make me less worried...
January 7th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure what happened with DD. All I know is I closed my eyes to push and when I opened them, there were another 8 extra nurses in the room and the doctor said she was going to vacuum her out. I assume her heart was decelerating or something where she had to be delivered right away. I'm not sure what would have happened if the doctor couldn't get her vacuumed out.
Yes, totally same experience here! All of a sudden there was what seemed like 100 people in the room and they were saying I needed to make the next push count because he was going into distress and that was the last chance we were getting before the vacuum or forceps...Then when he came, everyone quickly went away lol...and they took him right away because they thought they had injured his shoulder while yanking him out...it was scary, but it all turned out fine so I just forgot about it...
January 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You poor thing! That must have been scary for you. I can see why you might want an elective C-section. I think weigh your pros and cons, look into how long it takes to recover from a C section and how long it took you to recover from your last birth, and compare the two scenarios.
Question though, with your DS did they have you delivering flat on your back? It can greatly help your body maneuver the baby out of the birth canal if you are able to move around and position yourself in whatever way feels right. I'm looking to do a water birth for that reason, the water helps support your body weight and you can move into whatever position feels right for helping the baby come out. Different women prefer different positions, from what I hear...some actually feel that on their back is best, but I think the majority would prefer some other position. Also getting an episiotomy can make you tear worse, from what I've read, and tearing naturally will heal faster than an episiotomy.
I got a deep 2nd/3rd degree tear and that made me pretty nervous, so I'm wanting to try to have this delivery go even better than the last, although the last was pretty good it could have been better. Other things you can do to help minimize tearing is having your spouse/partner do perineal massage when it gets close to your due date, and when you are in labor as well.
Rhonda66 likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 8th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda66 View Post
Yes, totally same experience here! All of a sudden there was what seemed like 100 people in the room and they were saying I needed to make the next push count because he was going into distress and that was the last chance we were getting before the vacuum or forceps...Then when he came, everyone quickly went away lol...and they took him right away because they thought they had injured his shoulder while yanking him out...it was scary, but it all turned out fine so I just forgot about it...
I had pushed for two hours before the doctor decided to use the vacuum. The vacuum popped off her head which is just a sound you don't want to hear during delivery. It's funnier now but at the time, i was not laughing. It only took two pushes with the vacuum to get her out. DD passed her meconium so they didn't want her to breath until they got it suctioned out. I just remember how blue she looked and how quiet she was. I told DH to take pictures and he just look terrified and not sure what to do. I wonder what her APGARs were. Not good, I am sure. I got to give her a kiss while the nurse held her next to me and then they were off to the nursery and possibly the NICU. I sent DH with her and then was all by myself with the nicest nurse who helped me get cleaned up and dressed. I called a couple of people and they of course went straight to the nursery so I was still all alone. DD was born at 5:06 and I didn't get her back until almost 8:00. Makes me cry just remembering it. Ugh, bad memories and trauma all around.
January 8th, 2013, 10:46 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I had pushed for two hours before the doctor decided to use the vacuum. The vacuum popped off her head which is just a sound you don't want to hear during delivery. It's funnier now but at the time, i was not laughing. It only took two pushes with the vacuum to get her out. DD passed her meconium so they didn't want her to breath until they got it suctioned out. I just remember how blue she looked and how quiet she was. I told DH to take pictures and he just look terrified and not sure what to do. I wonder what her APGARs were. Not good, I am sure. I got to give her a kiss while the nurse held her next to me and then they were off to the nursery and possibly the NICU. I sent DH with her and then was all by myself with the nicest nurse who helped me get cleaned up and dressed. I called a couple of people and they of course went straight to the nursery so I was still all alone. DD was born at 5:06 and I didn't get her back until almost 8:00. Makes me cry just remembering it. Ugh, bad memories and trauma all around.
I always feel so bad for women who have bad birth experiences. It's supposed to be this wonderful thing giving birth, not something you feel like crying about when you remember it! I hope your next one goes so much better!
Rhonda66 likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 8th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think staying open to options is a great thing. I have done 9 births with no pain meds, some with pitocin, and 4 water births . With my 3rd baby, I had over 24 stitches to repair a tear, and have an episiopty (?) as well. Also used the vaccum with #1. I guess that about covers it! But I think staying away from pain meds, and moving around has enabled me to birth naturally. Once you start pain meds, you are on your back, and most of us birth better from a different position than that.

But if it came down to needing a c/s I'm realistic enough to know that the uterus doesn't get better with use

Good luck deciding!

January 8th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joy, yes I was on my back and it was not at all comfortable. I couldn't feel anything either from the epidural so I couldn't even tell if he was close or not, I just had to rely on what they told me. Probably would have benefited from a mirror at least. The whole thing was over so fast though that I didn't have any time to really think about anything. The funny thing is that I didn't remember it as a "bad experience" at all, probably because at least it was over very quickly, and I even totally forgot that the Doctor had said the stuff about having a c-section until DH reminded me and then it came back. They took DS and I didn't get to see him until hours later again, but they said he was totally fine and I was so incredibly exhausted since we went in during the wee hours and he was born at 7:47am that I (and DH) fell asleep for a long time afterwards.

markswife, was not even close to as rough as your experience, I'm pretty sure I would have physically died if I had to push for 2 hours, I think I pushed for about 20 minutes, maybe it was so rough because he came so quickly...DS looked fine when he came out, not blue or anything like that. I believe his shoulders just got stuck in my pelvis. The Doctor seemed very stressed out afterwards, but they had a much better idea what was going on than I did. I think the drugs had me loopy too so I just listened, knowing DS was fine, and didn't ask any questions since that was all that mattered at the moment.

All I can do now is hope this baby is smaller and that my body will be better at it this time since it was through it before with a broad, big-headed baby lol...If this baby comes any faster than DS did though, I'm going to have a much bigger problem than worrying about a c-section lol!
January 8th, 2013, 12:48 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never had a c-section and I am terrified of it. I better not need one, I want my all natural delivery!

My friend had almost the exact same first birth with her son. he was stuck and his shoulder was in the way or something and it was not an easy delivery. for her second baby, a girl, she had to have a c-section because the baby was breech. she said as awful as her first delivery was, she would NEVER do another c-section, and she has no idea why anyone would ever elect to have one. she said coming down off the meds was like an episode of intervention, she was practically climbing the walls and it was really scary.

my babies were both vaginal deliveries, but they were even so different. my first baby was 7 lbs 12 oz and while the birth was okay, the recovery was horrendous. I had a forcep delivery and because of that, they had to prep me for a c-section just in case. I felt terrible and couldn't sit for 2 weeks, I had trouble with my milk too.

my second baby, who was more than a pound bigger (8 lbs 15oz) came out no problem. I did have a small cut to help him out but my recovery was a BREEZE! I really didn't even feel like I had given birth at all.

January 8th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going to try to avoid the c-section route if possible and just be prepared in case it does have to happen, which I suppose is a always a possibility for almost everyone anyway...
January 8th, 2013, 05:43 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm worried about having to have a C-section, too, bc right now she's breech!
January 8th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
I always feel so bad for women who have bad birth experiences. It's supposed to be this wonderful thing giving birth, not something you feel like crying about when you remember it! I hope your next one goes so much better!
Thanks Joy! I try not to think of it as a bad experience because DD did arrive safely and she is completely healthy now so it was a successful birth. Just posting about it made me cry so it is clearly an unresolved trauma for me. I'm not really sure where or how to even start resolving it. I have thought about asking for the report to see exactly what happened but part of me wonders if maybe it will be scarier knowing than not knowing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search