What Classes are you planning on taking?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2013, 06:37 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think we are going to do a bundle package that the hospital offers. It inclused the labor and delivery class, a breastfeeding class, and a class on caring for a newborn. It's $90 for all three. I don't think I really need the newborn class since I grew up babysitting but it should still be a good refresher. I just hope that the classes aren't going to be a waste of time and money! I've heard both good and bad about these kind of classes.

What classes do you plan on taking?
January 9th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Im not taking any classes. With my first i took a labor and delivery class but i only got half way through it and had my son early. I know alot of people find the classes helpfull.
January 9th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Brock's minion
I'm shocked that you have to pay for any classes. All the hospitals around us offer all the classes for free. I prettying doing the same three as you.

Michelle
January 9th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Classes through the regional health authority here are free, but are very medical focused. I'm taking a 3 day course put on by a doula collective for $140. I don't know if there is much they can cover that I haven't already read up on, but I'm looking forward to it anyways, even just to meet other expecting moms close by (the class is an hour away, but it'll be much better than not having any friends with babies!)

I am also taking my car seat tech. certification.... not actually a birth or parenting course, but it's relatable I think

January 9th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We took a breastfeeding class before G was born. We start our Bradley birth class series on the 24th. Im really looking forward to it!! Its costing just over $300.

January 9th, 2013, 09:17 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am also shocked that any of you have to pay for classes!

I just started prenatal classes last night. they run every Tuesday evening for 8 weeks. After the baby is born I will go to breastfeeding support, which is where breastfeeding women can get together weekly to talk about breastfeeding, and ask questions and relax with their babies. Even if you don't have any problems or questions it is still fun to go just to get out of the house and be with other moms and babies. I will also take the baby to infant massage classes every week, which is so awesome because infant massage promotes good health and bonding with your baby. and again, you get to socialize with other moms and their infants.

all of the things I just listed are free! and super fun. even my doula is free because it's a volunteer program and they don't get paid, they just do it because they love it.

January 9th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Veteran
wow you have to pay for them!? I took them all for free with my DD. I took the breastfeeding class, labor and delivery classes (4 sessions), caring for a newborn, and CPR for infants. I learned from the CPR class for sure. As for the breastfeeding class, not so much... I did not know about pumps so that was new.. caring for a newborn was good but also when you have the baby at the hospital, the nurse can show you everything (how to swaddle a baby, change and bathe a baby etc). The labor and delivery class, it was Ok.. I liked that on the last day we did a hospital tour and that was nice-- to know where you'll be and what options you have etc. But again, they were offered free.
January 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and I are such "fly by the seat of your pants" types that we didn't take any classes and just went with everything as it came. The hospital did have free classes that you could take beforehand or during your stay there after giving birth. I just wanted to go right home as soon as I could We watched the "Miracle of Life" video a bunch of times and A Baby Story to get the gist lol - ok, I know not really reality, but it got me pumped up to have him and it was enough. If they had a class on "what to do, or what happens next, if baby gets stuck" I'd be there this time! That's the only thing I'm hung up on right now and I think my Doc is just going to have to help get me over that one. They also go over almost everything at the hospital here after the birth, I think the classes here are more for socializing with other parents, but I'm not that social and I prefer to be on JM with my questions than go to a class...
January 9th, 2013, 10:01 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
honestly, I probably don't need prenatal classes (3 babies in 5 years, I think I've got a handle on things) but I like to go because it's something fun and baby oriented. I get to get out of the house with my husband and NO children! and I get to meet other expectant parents.

January 9th, 2013, 10:38 AM
May 2013 Cohost
We have to pay for classes too. This time around we're not taking one. For the first time, we took a labor/delivery class which focused on breathing. It didn't help that much.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search