Baby testing?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rhonda66

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an appointment this morning. I'm measuring right on track. My weight increased by 4 pounds since last month. Baby's heart beat sounded great.

The question came up about testing the baby for Down syndrome. And all those other things. I am nervous. They are going to run the tests. And a follow up will be done in one to two weeks.
I don't want to know if anything is wrong with my baby.
I'm kinda regretful now. Anyone else feel the same way?
January 9th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ah yes, the dreaded NT/blood scan, many of us here have gone through it already. They usually look for Downs, Trisomy and any other possible genetic problem. My ratio was 1 in 69 for Downs I believe based solely on my old age before testing and ultimately settled at 1 in 450 after the screening, which is probably still higher than most of the other ladies here, but my Doctor considered it a negative finding and that was that. It is a sour lemon to go through, false positives are also high, but many people like to know the results so they can be prepared. You are so young that your results are very likely to be fine so hopefully you have nothing to be concerned about. Try not to regret it and think this way - there is probably nothing wrong, but if there is, you are going to find out one way or another eventually anyway and there are some conditions that you would want them to find early so that you and the baby can get the best care possible asap. Let us know how it goes
rheaimedved likes this.
January 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM
May 2013 Cohost
The NT scan has to be done around 12-13 weeks...so this must be a different test since you are past that mark. Is it a blood test? Maybe it's the quad screen, which is done in second trimester?
January 9th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For me personally I saw no benefit being tested. We were offered the full baby testing (like mentioned above) plus genetic testing for me and dh to see if we happened to be carriers of anything. But opted out of it all. It wasn't important to us.

It wouldn't have changed the outcome of my pregnancy (we wouldn't have terminated) and I felt that it would have only added undue stress on us. As well, I don't believe that the science is 100% yet. Mistakes could be made, test results mixed up etc, so we opted out.

Even after my blood was drawn at my first appointment we went over what they were looking for (from me, not baby...ie german measles etc) and decided very specifically what we wanted to know and what didn't matter.

I also was pretty set on only having 1 ultrasound.... that went out the window pretty quick when I had some complications, and so far have had 4 (3 in 1 day) and have at least 1 more scheduled for Monday... you can't always control the situation you are in, but you always have a say in what information you are given.

If you don't want to know the results, just phone the dr. office and tell them you have changed your mind and don't want to be informed of the results.

January 9th, 2013, 11:44 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm more curious as to what type of test they are doing this late in your pregnancy. The quad screen/afp has to be done by 20 weeks to be accurate. I wouldn't trust the results at this point. I refused all screening. We figured it wouldn't change having our baby so there was no point in worrying over nothing.
January 9th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yea.
I had decided I.didnt want ANY testings.
Bug this morning she suggested it was best. And apparently fetal stage would be at about 20 weeks now. Idk at this point. I heard the bsby fine and have felt the baby. I am not as nervous as before
January 9th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, my office does a 2-part scan - normally you get the NT scan at 11-13 weeks and then the AFP/maternal serum screening before 20 weeks that includes a second blood draw and in my case the detailed anatomy scan, looking for "soft markers" for genetic abnormalities. I'm not sure if it's that the test has to be completed before 20 weeks for it to be effective or if it is because you are then referred to a genetic counselor because I can't see why at least the anatomy scan portion wouldn't still be helpful after 20 weeks. I think that possibly it is because some people choose to terminate the pregnancy when they find out there is a serious genetic problem and in most states you can have an abortion until 20-24 weeks, up to when the fetus is then considered viable outside the womb...In Massachusetts, it's legal up to 24 weeks and after that only if there is a serious risk to the mother's health. So termination is sometimes no longer an option for people who have the testing later than 20 weeks.

Anyway, if you are going to keep the baby no matter what and let nature decide, then testing really isn't necessary. If you do have it done, most likely all will be fine so try not to worry too much about it
January 9th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post

If you don't want to know the results, just phone the dr. office and tell them you have changed your mind and don't want to be informed of the results.
bingo.
January 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM
May 2013 Cohost
There is also a blood test they do at the same time as the NT scan, which measures the level of two proteins in the woman's blood: PAPP-A and free BHCG. This is done between 11-14 weeks.

The AFP is measured as part of the triple or quad blood test, and the blood sample can be taken between 14-21 weeks.

TeeCee - did you get a scan between 11-14 weeks measuring the fluid on the back of the baby's neck? If not, then this must be just a blood test.

Last edited by kary4; January 9th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search