Appt/Weight Gain

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By MrsLisaT
  • 2 Post By misty3281
  • 2 Post By mrsjl
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By Ryan and Alex's Mommy
  • 1 Post By Erin80

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2013, 04:40 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Had my regular OB appt yesterday. I knew I had gained a few too many pounds, but had no idea exactly how much. 12 LBS!!!! My poor doctor is always so nice. He told me "that's ok for one time but maybe just watch the fried stuff so it doesn't happen every time. You'll have a wardrobe you want to fit back in when all of this is over." Yeah, no kidding. So here I am determined to have minimal weight gain before the next appt. Going to be hard to do with a Vegas trip next week, but hopefully I can keep it halfway under control. I've gained 28 lbs since my first appt. I feel so horrible about myself right now. I knew better than that. Ugh.
January 15th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Try not to beat yourself up over it Every woman's body is different and some just have to work a lot harder to avoid weight gain. Yes, it is important not to overdo it but it is also important not to be stressing too much over your weight. I wish you the best of luck in trying to control your weight gain!!
EverydayJoy and misty3281 like this.
January 15th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Thank you. We went grocery shopping yesterday and I bought a ton of fruit. Hoping that will satisfy my sweet tooth I keep getting.
January 15th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Super Mommy
ha! the story of my life! I also went to my last appt and found out I gained 10 lbs! I do eat a lot and lots of junk food though.. anyways, just like you, I went to the store yesterday and bought lots of fruits and veggies. Trying to be good from now on. Good luck!
January 15th, 2013, 06:28 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Im scared to go to my appt. today for that reason. Im sure I gained at LEAST 5 lbs. since my last appt. All I do is eat....alot.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
January 15th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally understand....I think I've gained around 20ish lbs or so myself since my first appt. I was only supposed to gain up to 20lbs for my entire pregnancy due to already being overweight so I'm really dissapointed in myself too. I started out doing pretty good and gaining very slowly but it seems like over the past month Im just piling it on, but I really have no one to blame but myself for giving into all of the cravings and not eating more healthy foods. *sigh* Not looking forward to my appt tomorrow....
January 15th, 2013, 06:33 AM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
I had the same thing happen my last 2 pregnancies, around the same time as well. I wouldnt worry, I have lost the weight every time after having a baby I gained 50 with my first (he was born at 35 weeks)
I gained 60 with my second and 62 with my third LOL
I am not doing too bad this time, I think I have gained 20 so far.
But the thing is, ONE- We just had the holidays, even non pregnant women gain weight during the holidays!!!
and TWO- it wil be okay! Your baby will be here in about 3-4 months anyway, then you can really focus on your weight.
Babies are worth all the weight gain, believe me or I wouldnt be pregnant with my 4th!! haha
Just try to eat more fruit and veggies, and really just try to relax it will be okay!

January 15th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Thanks ladies. I really feel better knowing I'm not alone. It just sucks being hungry all the time lately. I ate breakfast at 530 this morning, cereal and an apple, and just ate another bowl of cereal and banana. Only 3 hours later and I felt like I was starving to death. Avery needs to grow so she takes up more room and I can't eat as much. lol
EverydayJoy and Mrsbowbin like this.
January 15th, 2013, 07:37 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
as long as you aren't eating crap ALL the time, worry about the weight after the baby comes. I don't even know how much I weigh right now. I am choosing to focus on my body once my little tenant vacates his temporary residence
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

January 15th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've gained no less than 25 lbs since week 11 (24 now). Most of that gain was between 11 and 20 weeks, when I was on bed rest, but not experiencing nausea. My diet was never particularly bad (i eat fruits and veggies, cook most of my meals at home, etc.) but my body is accustomed to being super active (and not pregnant). Nevertheless, gaining that much weight in a short period of time, regardless of the reason, is really shocking.

I'm glad your doctor was relaxed about it, since you occasionally hear stories of ones who aren't.

Here are some of the things I do to keep eating healthy:

throw giant handfuls of spinach into smoothies (with bananas, frozen berries, yogurt, apple juice and carrot juice)

eat baby carrot sticks and raw cabbage with any non-sweet meal

FAGE greek yogurt with honey (higher protein than any other yogurt i've found... most are pretty high in carbs) and berries/bananas

eat at least 2 apples a day

i personally never eat cereal, because for me it's a food i can eat endless amounts of without feeling satisfied. i eat oatmeal in the morning and it does a better job (even better if i make it with milk instead of water)

i don't know what you're like in this area, but i also exercise every day now, but not necessarily a lot. a long walk and some stretching; swimming for 20 minutes; using an elliptical followed by light weights and other exercises for my back. Usually 45 minutes to an hour, but sometimes I do it twice a day.

so i never feel bad about eating ice cream as a meal (ok, i never did!) and (more importantly) it helps deal with some of the anxiety over the weight gain.
January 15th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Veteran
I also have to eat every 2 to 3 hours or I will start feeling really sick ( headache, nauseas, dizzy)
I am not worried about gaining weight because the baby needs the fuel, I will worry about the weight afterwards.
Lucky I don't get cravings so I eat normally, just extra food because now I am eating every 2-3 hours, but we need an extra 300 calories a day anyways ( not sure how much food that is) but I eat when I am hungry because I feel that is my body asking for nutrients/food for the baby.

I've gained 12 lbs since I've gotten pregnant, so I guess it's not terrible ( I also have a fast metabolism and that helps some) but my tights/butt is getting huge LOL
I am not good at eating fruit/veggies though, I just never feel like going grocery shopping to buy produce and it spoils so quick LoL
I should buy frozen fruits and make smoothies but it is the winter and I just dont want to drink smoothies in the winter I feel like if I have gotten pregnant in the summer, I would do better and eat yogurt, smoothies and salads but none of that cold stuff is appealing in the middle of the winter to me I am much of a seasonal eater

Last edited by Dragonflyldy; January 15th, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
January 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
I have been eating pecans to satisfy my snack cravings. N a glass of pink milk sometimes yo hold me over til dinner if I have eaten a lot already. I basically eat whatever I want but in smaller portions. I have only gained 3 lbs and I too am overweight. Not a lot bit just like 10 to 15 pounds overweight. Hope that helps!
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

January 15th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow.
Weight is a huge thing with pregnancy.
I know I lost weight in the beginning of my pregnancy but managed to put on 7 pounds. That 7 pounds really had an effect on me. I'm tiny. I was a diet freak due to the fact I had been 50 pounds over weight before getting pregnant.
Anyways, I called my Zumba instructor and she's willing to help with a low stress routine just for me till I have the baby. I know we will have our babies during the spring and I personally want to feel a lil okay about my body when I have the baby.

My snacks if I am starving:

Handful of pecans
A cup of milk with an apple
A yogurt with granola
Or if I don't have those on hand ill get some water and have a small portion of a snack from the nearest place. But I keep it all up with water till I have time to prepare a good meal.

Last edited by TeeCee; January 15th, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
January 15th, 2013, 11:37 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
If you are eating healthfully 90% of the time, I seriously would not give it a second thought. Women's bodies are a LOT smarter than a dcoctors scale and unless you KNOW you are eating junk and snacking from boredom (and not hunger), your body is going to do what it wants anyway.

I have had two and a half pregnancies. I have eaten the exact same and been fairly equally active in all of them (I was a nanny before my first, so I was still chasing kids). My first I gained nothing, my second I gained 29lbs, this one, I doubt will be under 40lbs. Clearly my body needs different things at different times. My weight, the baby size, and my hunger cues have been different all three times. But I totally agree that the baby is well worth it and, frankly, it's not worth you kicking yourself through the rest of the pregnancy. You will lose the weight fine.
EverydayJoy likes this.
January 15th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks for all of the tips!! I would love to switch cereal for oatmeal but I just can't right now. I've never liked oatmeal because of the texture but I forced myself to eat it while losing weight to stay fuller longer. I've tried a couple times while pg and they didn't work out well. Couldn't even get past the first bite. I'm just going to try to do the best I can and whatever happens happens. My blood pressure and everything looked good still so I'm not too concerned.
January 15th, 2013, 07:00 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally, I feel that oatmeal doesn't keep you full for very long at all. My suggestion would be try to add a little protein to every meal, because that will help keep you satiated longer. Then if you aren't hungry but feel snacky, pick a low calorie choice like a veggie or a small piece of fruit. Carrots have almost no calories so I snack on those when I need something crunchy.
But if you are hungry, definitely eat! You don't want to starve the baby
Drinking extra water can help you feel full a teeny bit longer too.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 15th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Eating more fats will help you feel fullerr, too. Maybe a full-fat yogurt with breakfast?

I totally feel you on oatmeal. I've only just started being able to eat it again after a several week hiatus.
January 15th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It looks like i've gained 5-6 pounds this pregnancy so far which is amazing since i've been eating like a pig lol. I try not to think about it and if i have a bad day i try rally hard to be good or better the next.
EverydayJoy likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Veteran
Yuck for oatmeal, I can suck it down with a scoop of vanilla protein powder and bits of fresh fruit, but otherwise, makes me want to puke. I only havd it twice while pregnancy, seems like now I just can't even think about it, I have it in my work drawer and it's been sitting here forever.
It also does not keep me full for long I think because it is low in fat and carbs, but it is loaded with fiber and if I add the protein and bit of fruit, it's like almost superfood ( just which I could eat it without gagging lol)

January 16th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I saw my midwife yesterday, and I had gained 8lbs.......ha. Ooops. I blamed it on the holidays, which I think is true. I told her I'd watch it from now on, and really I haven't gained anything in a week or so now. I gain 40lbs with each pregnancy usually (with my past 2 anyway), and I've gained 19lbs right now, so I'm right on track for me!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search