Anyone planning on natural childbirth?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree40Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 09:48 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely think natural is better for baby, I recall being amazed how alert I felt after giving birth (I thought I would be so wiped out and exhausted), and how alert my little fresh-born baby boy was. He had his eyes open and just wanted to look and look at me. He was memorizing my face I have heard that with drugs sometimes babies are slow to latch and can be kind of groggy. I liked how it was with DS and want that again.
rheaimedved likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 16th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning on natural. I've done two births completely natural and two with some kind of induction/pain meds. I will say that in my experience, being induced or augmented in any way is MUCH MORE painful than going completely natural (this includes being induced and also having the doc break my water because labour stalled). So that alone makes me want to have a natural birth with no interventions, unless they are necessary.
rheaimedved likes this.
January 16th, 2013, 10:44 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
That's the plan. I am not huge on "big plans." I learned that lesson with my last birth. But I will do everything in my power to minimize the interventions and hopefully it will result in a natural childbirth.

My first was a wonderful intervention-free birth. I felt great and it was pretty easy.

My second, due to various circumstances including late-turning breech, blood thinners, and meconium in the fluid, was an augmented labor (pitocin) and it was fairly agonizing to do without an epidural (so I assume, I haven't had an epi so I guess I can't say what they are like).

I will NOT opt for a natural childbirth if pitocin is involved at all. I will get an epi if that is the case. But I am hoping that the situation works out that I can labor at home for most of the time and deliver intervention-free at the hospital (which I know is possible and even easy, since I have done it once there). We will see what delivery day brings!
Memi likes this.
January 16th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I could talk myself into a natural birth, but I just can't seem to do it. I had an epi with my son and I am so glad I did. He was 9lbs 3 oz and I needed so many stitches after he was born, it was horrible. The dr said if they knew he was going to be that big they would have given me a C section (they measured him at about 7lb, so they were way off).
It's funny how I have no problem with getting kicked, bucked, and bit by 1200lb horses, thrown into fences by bulls, and laugh it off, but has soon as I think about labor my knees shake in fear, lol
EverydayJoy likes this.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

January 16th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's so funny how my experience has completly changed my point of view on this topic.
With DS I was all about the drugs! In fact I joked that if a fellow laboring mother wanted to go natural then I'd take hers as well! My labor with him was full of other unnecessary interventions (like pitocin) as well that I did not want though and ultimately led me to a C-section which I had an excruciating recovery from.
Due to that experience, I am going for a VBAC with this birth. To increase my chances of a successful VBAC I hope and plan on having no interventions and no pain medicine if possible. I have a midwife practice who is very pro-natural and hands off but this will be in a hospital setting. DH and I are taking a Bradley childbirth class series and getting certified to have a waterbirth at the hospital as well. I'm very adament about going as natural as possible this time. Although my ultimate goal is a VBAC, if I'm able to have an all natural birth as well I think it'd be awesome!!
Purrrrrrr likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 01:34 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I had an epidural with my son...thank God bc I was augmented with pitocin and those contractions were killer....I almost didn't qualify to get an epidural bc my platelet count was low. I just made the cut off. I'm very nervous about not being able to get one if I want one this time around.
January 16th, 2013, 04:33 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am also planning on going all natural and I truly feel like I am in the right care to do so. The Kaiser hospital in our area is staffed with both midwives and OBs. I just went to a "meet the midwife" event last night at the hospital and I left feeling so excited. The midwives will care and deliver for you unless there is a complication, then the OB is right there. It is exactly what I wanted, a natural childbirth with back up in case something goes awry. I can also get an epidural if I can't handle the pain, but I'm hoping with all the support I'll have I will be able to do it. We will see!
rheaimedved likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He-double hockey stick to the no! I wish I could, I normally have a very high tolerance for pain, but I'm going with the epi again this time assuming there is enough time. I'm a little scared because l&d was very fast with DS, but they did give me an epi and it did work, probably too much so, because I could not feel anything at all after that. I'm glad I got it because I tore and had the episiotomy after he got stuck, the Dr also had to grab the placenta to get it out and that was probably the worst part of the whole thing, I just had this awful sick feeling when they did that, thank goodness I could barely feel it, but I could still feel that enough that it made me sick. I don't even want to know what it would have felt like when they had to yank DS out too, thank goodness I could not feel that part at all. The epi seemed to do only good things for me so I have no problems going that way again.
January 16th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Schroeder View Post
I have to agree with Kurly. I'm planning on an epidural. Maybe I'll consider a natural birth for the next one, but I think I'll need all the help I can get for the first. Delivery terrifies me at the moment.
You totally don't have anything to be scared about. I was really worried with my first delivery, mostly that the contractions would make me throw up and once I throw up, I continue to do so for at least a half hour. And I REALLY don't like being touched when I'm in pain or people "helping" me when I get sick.

I was induced and was so scared of what could happen (everyone kept telling me how awful pitocin was), I didn't even notice the friggin contractions up until I hit transition and then got an epidural 'cause I didn't know how bad they would possibly get.

This time, I'm like, screw it. I'm pushing this kid out as fast as my body will let me and by god, if I have to stand on the bed and let gravity do it for me, I will!

I know it's kind of a hippy-dippy thing to say, but your body is made to do this. You're already growing an extra organ inside your body to accommodate growing another human being. Don't let your brain take over and freak yourself out. If you get an epidural, use that as a tool to let your brain ignore what your uterus and hips are doing so when it's time to push, you're not fighting your body.

My Boring Blog
January 16th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for all the responses ladies! I love reading this!
EverydayJoy likes this.
January 17th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've had two natural home water births so far. This one will be born in the hospital because we have moved, and now we live too far from a hospital for me to feel comfortable having her at home. I'm actually MORE scared of the hospital birth than home birth - the idea of a "dry birth" on a bed freaks me out. Water did so much to help with the pain.

Honestly, I kind of want the epi this time - but I have very quick labours so my midwife doubts I'll have time to get it.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
January 17th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
yes... i have has all 6 natural birth, My last baby though i caved and got a epi witch i regret big time. But this time being my last baby, all natural this time around.
rheaimedved likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 09:07 AM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a completely unmedicated 22 hour labor with DD. Most amazing experience (and painful) ever. I can tell you that even though it was the worst pain I've ever had, more so than I ever could have imagined...I also remember thinking right before I started pushing that it had been easier than I'd expected it.

I will definitely be having baby boy naturally as well.
rheaimedved likes this.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
January 17th, 2013, 09:11 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My plan is for natural and my OB seems to be onboard with whatever I decide to do. I am not opposed to an epi though if it seems to go on forever or complications arise. I refuse to be induced though unless baby goes over 42 weeks and still isn't dilating. OB agrees baby will come when she's good and ready and he's actually done news reports locally against inductions unless there are complications. Now with that said, this is my first so I may get in there start hurting and have to have an epi to escape a murder charge on DH. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
January 17th, 2013, 10:08 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
people always talk about the pain of childbirth like it's the worst pain ever, but it is different than say, breaking your leg. this is what I think of:

P- purposeful... there is a reason for the pain, it is actually DOING to something
A- anticipated... you know it's coming. not like breaking your leg, you wouldn't say "okay, I'm going to go break my leg now"
I- intermittent... it's not a constant, searing pain that won't let up. it comes in waves.
N- natural. this is a natural process, whereas an injury is totally unnatural.

January 17th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know, for me the worst part is maybe expecting pain in comparison to an injury - every major injury I ever had, I went completely numb naturally, did not feel a thing...had a major skiing wipe out, dislocated and fractured my shoulder and didn't even notice until I went to get up and couldn't move my arm. Then the hospital numbed me up with morphine while i waited for an ortho surgeon to come fix it and when the joint corrected with a big pop, I said "Oh, I think it's back in now" and the surgeon said "if you had felt that, you would be screaming right now..." It's all mind over matter to me - if I can stay calm in a situation, no problem, but if panic sets in, it's all over - and I am deathly afraid that I would panic and it would be too late to get the epi...I am a one pole or the other person - I can either keep it altogether or I totally lose it in a fight or flight situation, there's no in between...
January 17th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran
First baby here and I am sort of freaked out about labor but trying not to let it freak me out. Hubby was telling me sort of what you said Puurrr about our bodies being made for this and such.
So my plan is to have an intervention free birth at the hospital. I have a great OB and no midwife so will have to be thorugh hospital but I refuse to have epi or being induced or anything of that sorts. Will have natural birth as much as is possible in a hospital setting. I plan to stick at home as much as I can and then make a crazy dash to the hospital LOL

I am more comfortable at the hospital than at home too because:
1- doctor is right there in cause of an emergency
2- I have no clue what to expect being first time
3- I really dont want to have to clean up after myself after giving birth lol
Purrrrrrr and rheaimedved like this.

January 17th, 2013, 11:06 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rhonda, I think the key in that situation (not saying you have to go natural, but if you wanted to,) is to have a good support person who can help keep you calm, remind you that it won't last forever, that your baby is making progress, and that it will be all over soon. I was scared to death of labor with my first, but I made it through. My midwife was good, gentle but firm, and when I hit transition I asked for pain meds. She calmly asked if I wanted to try the tub first. I said yes, and then 45 minutes later I was ready to start pushing. I think your support person can really help you a lot. This time around I get to have a doula, my DH's cousin, and I'm excited about that. I think it will be good for me to have the support, since DH is good about being "there" but he might not know what to say or do to help me.

I will definitely be delivering in the hospital though, because of my medical history. Although the hospital is only minutes away, I'd feel much more comfortable being where the help is if something went wrong.
mrsjl likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 17th, 2013, 11:29 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm having a doula this time around, I have never had one before but I think she will be a BIG help in the delivery room.
EverydayJoy likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themrs0523 View Post
I know it will be harder in the hospital because I will be pressured but I am ready to give it a shot.
I have to say - with my son, I tried to go natural. Once I told my Dr and the nurses that I intended to go for it without an epi - there was NO pressure at all for me to change my mind. I was induced and made it a VERY long time without pain meds. No one said anything about pain meds until I asked. I was impressed! So, you might not be pressured into anything. (And don't let them pressure you!!!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search