Anyone planning on natural childbirth?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree40Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
I know we had this topic a while back but since we have new people I thought I would start it again.

I am planning on a drug free birth, in hospital. I will have a hydrotherapy tub to labor in, exercise ball, and will only have to be on the monitor once every hour or so to check the baby.
I know it will be harder in the hospital because I will be pressured but I am ready to give it a shot. This will be my first so I am going to try to labor as long as possible at home.
January 15th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
I am going to try. My first I had an epi, my second was natural but I labored in a hospital bath tub but he was an entire pound smaller than my first and 2 weeks early. I will leave the option of an epidural open just in case but my doctor is a midwife also so she listens and encourages natural child birth. Both my labors were about 4 hours long start to finish

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

January 15th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Its my first..
And ive been all about a natural birth. That was never a doubt. Even before I was pregnant.
So this will be interesting lol
Sweet_Mama likes this.
January 15th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
I have heard a lot of people say how painful and horrible it was but I was more scared anticipating it than when it happen. I am not saying anyone is less of a woman for getting an epidural because you are still pushing a baby out of a tiny hole! lol but I felt pretty darn proud of myself when I finally did it and it wasnt too bad. I guess that is why we decided to have another lol.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

January 15th, 2013, 09:32 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm all for a natural birth. I did no painkillers with DS but I was induced and it was pretty darned painful. Thank goodness memory fades as time goes on. I am really wanting to do a water birth, if it all works out. I think that would be the best way to help with pain control (without meds) and also be able to get into a good position for birthing. I have to pay the hospital $200 to do it though. Grr...
Sweet_Mama likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 15th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
I am actually starting to get excited about it. I also have a midwife which has been great for me bc the doctor I have always used before was very into induction a week before your EDD and starting an epi as soon as they break your water.

That is just not what I wanted, so I switched and couldn't be happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
I'm all for a natural birth. I did no painkillers with DS but I was induced and it was pretty darned painful. Thank goodness memory fades as time goes on. I am really wanting to do a water birth, if it all works out. I think that would be the best way to help with pain control (without meds) and also be able to get into a good position for birthing. I have to pay the hospital $200 to do it though. Grr...
I wanted to do a water birth but it was a big deal to do one at my hospital so I asked about the hydo tub instead. I will just be put in a room with one and my midwife said if I labor towards the end in there and can't move, they will just drain the water and I will deliver right there
January 15th, 2013, 09:45 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That might work. I wanted to deliver in the water though because I think it will give me a lot more maneuverability for laboring. I had a deep 2nd degree tear last time and I'm trying to avoid that or worse this next time. Recovery wasn't that bad from the tear but I still would like to keep my lady bits intact if possible

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 15th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i've never even considered not doing a natural birth. i'm sure they exist, but i've never talked to a woman who regretted doing a natural childbirth. i'd be somewhat interested in a water birth, but i won't go out of my way for it.
January 15th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
Epidurals are rare in Japan, so I'm expecting to have to give birth naturally. I'm kind of scared, but so many women have given birth naturally and continue to do so with their other children, so it can't be THAT bad, right?!

January 16th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I went natural as in no pain meds with my son, but was induced and only I'm labor for about 4hrs but i won't lie, it was terrible pain from the first contraction....had i not progressed so quickly, who knows, i mightve budged and taken something but my breathing techniques actually helped a bit. I fully intend on going natural with this one but if it goes very long and is too hard to bear, i will give in.
January 16th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an epidural with my first and it failed and i had to be put under for my emergency c section. I tried again with my #2 and it made my blood pressure drop and then failed. Im definatly going natural!
January 16th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I'm doing hypnobabies this time. I need to start listening to my CDs. I was induced and had an epidural with my first, but the epidural worked right up until I started pushing and then I felt EVERYTHING. To me, it was kind of a waste and I was stuck trying to deliver in one position... flat on my back. Yeah, not happening this time. I'd like to try squatting.

My Boring Blog
January 16th, 2013, 05:32 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I was induced with both my sons and they plan on inducing me with this one. BOTH times the epidural did NOT work...AT ALL. It was horrible and I literally thought I was dying. Sorry, if im scaring some of you. I wanted to try water birth since epidurals dont work for me and I wanted some pain relief some how but I dont qualify for it being that I am high risk for blood pressure problems. I am really scared about feeling that pain again and not having a choice but to suck it up. I spoke to my OB about it and she said they can try to do a spinal block this time. She said it will only block the pain for about 5 hours but at least its something. I really dont want to feel pain this time...been there, done that. I guess I will see what happens this time......GULP!
rheaimedved likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
January 16th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Super Mommy
I will be getting the epidural for sure! Why feel pain if you don't have to? I have nothing to prove to anyone- numb me up! Lol
January 16th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Kurly i love it! The "numb me up" made me laugh!
January 16th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I've had an epi all three times so far however I really want to do it naturally and always have. I have really long natural labors around 24 hours for each of my first 2 DD's. My 3rd DD I didn't go into labor on my own so I had to be induced at 39 weeks and once they broke my water I thought I was going to die! But her labor was only 4.5 hours long and had I known I wasn't going to be in labor a full day I think I would have tried harder to go without the epi.

The plan this time is to labor at home as long as possible before going in and seeing if they'll accommodate me so I can move around and not just lay in bed. My doc has agreed to let me go up to my EDD if Tilly handles well during my NST's I'll be starting at 30 weeks. Because of my diabetes I get hooked up to the IV and insulin drip and my labors are treated in a very medical way rather then a natural process way.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
January 16th, 2013, 07:43 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am planning on a "no epi" birth, but I will absolutely have the laughing gas. it doesn't do much, but it helps keep my breathing regular because otherwise I tend to hold my breath, and the great thing about it is that it doesn't even touch your baby. it affects only you. and unlike narcotics, if you don't like it, you don't have to wait it out, once you stop breathing it in, it's out of your system.

I also won't hate myself if I opt for an injection of a drug to take the edge off, but I will NOT have an epidural.

my son was born an hour after arriving at the hospital last time and my whole labor and birth was under 4 hours, so if I keep on that route there won't be time for anything. I am having a doula this time, and I hope that helps.

my natural delivery was quick, and my recovery was amazing. I didn't even feel like I had given birth! my epidural delivery with my first baby was longer and more difficult and the recovery was hell. I'd like to avoid that if I can!

plus, I always keep in mind that one intervention often leads to another and another and the risk of c-section goes up.

January 16th, 2013, 07:45 AM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
I had my first with no drugs.... I did get an epidural with my 2nd and 3rd. I REALLY want to do a natural one this time around.

January 16th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Ashley Schroeder's Avatar #1 Due in May
I have to agree with Kurly. I'm planning on an epidural. Maybe I'll consider a natural birth for the next one, but I think I'll need all the help I can get for the first. Delivery terrifies me at the moment.
January 16th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep. The plan is to go as natural as possible. I truly believe there is a direct correlation between any medical interventions and the rate of c sections. I am prepared to go over 42 weeks, so long as baby is doing ok to avoid induction. I have my Midwife's support on that as well.

I will be delivering in a hospital, they have the shower, tub, balls, bars etc. They actually don't promise you that an epidural is available because it is a smaller rural hospital, the anesthetist may not be there, so if not you're outta luck

I would have done a home birth, but we are 1 hr from the hospital. So I didn't feel that was responsible. It is VERY difficult to see a midwife in my Province, so the fact that I was accepted into care was a very big blessing.

My mom had 3 natural births (including 1 on pitocin-so not all natural, but no pain meds), my cousin had horrible side effects from an epi. and ended up paralyzed for weeks, she did recover but believes that lead to sever PPD. She went on to have 2 more natural births, and said that it wasn't pleasant, but if she had of known thats what it was, she wouldn't have had the epi with the first one.

People have, and have had natural births for the history of time. I am really trying to focus on that, and that my body was designed to give birth without drugs or medication. I will always try and make the decision of what is best for me and the baby in the moment, but I think that attitude is a big factor. However if for safety reasons my plan has to change, I'm working on being open to that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search