Breast pumps - electric vs manual inquiry

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By Erin80
  • 1 Post By ambee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran
So I've emailed my health insurance and they cover the manual pump and everything that goes with it ( milk bag, pads, etc) but they will NOT cover electric pumps.

So wondering if I should just the manual pump and try it or should I just pay out of pocket and get the electric pump? ( money is really not a big deal although I hate paying for something I can get for free LoL ) but I know it's not really the same so wondering what do you all think about electric vs manual?

I work and planning to come back to work after maternity leave ( which I dont know how long I will take maternity leave for yet - this will be another post ) so I know I will need to pump to leave milk bottles for my parents to give to the baby and I want hubby to bottle feed him as well at least once a day so they can bound so maybe I should just pay for an electric? I heard they are way quicker than manual or is it just matter of getting used to manual?

To be honest, electric pump sounds painful LoL but then so does manual so yeah, curious to hear what do you all think and what is your experience with both or either if any
Thanks!

January 16th, 2013, 09:11 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have only ever used a manual one, I liked it just fine. But I was also a stay at home mom and my son rarely needed a bottle, it was more just to take the extra pressure off if he wasn't hungry and I was really full. I would say if you're going back to work you should probably get an electric one. That's what I hear from others who have used both, that the manual is nice for occasional use but for regular use the electric is better. From what I understand the electric is better at keeping your milk supply up while you are away from baby, and also more efficient/faster than the manual.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 16th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be getting an electric one. I have heard from many people that the manual is not good for everyday use and the electric ones are wonderful. I will be nursing my baby at night and bottle feeding during the day. I did not breastfeed my son, so this is my first time breastfeeding. For some reason I am very nervous about it.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

January 16th, 2013, 01:18 PM
May 2013 Cohost
You definitely need an electric one to keep up your supply since you're going back to work. They're also much faster.
Purrrrrrr likes this.
January 16th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Ashley Schroeder's Avatar #1 Due in May
Does anyone have suggestions on which electric pump to buy?
January 16th, 2013, 02:04 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Ive got my Medela Double Pumper ready to go! lol....If you plan on pumping alot I'd say get an electric one. Some hospitals rent them out if cost is an issue. I had mine since my last son. Glad I invested the money and got a good. The manual one didnt work for me with my first son.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
January 16th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had my heart set on BF'ing my first, and it didn't work out AT ALL. She had a shallow pallet and completely destroyed my nipples - so much that they healed inverted from all the scarring! Soooo, I refused to give her formula (I had an awesome milk supply), so I decided to exclusively pump for her. I bought a Medela Pump in Style - electric double pump. I'm SO GLAD I bought it. I was able to pump for her for 10 months, and she never had a drop of formula.

My second daughter had a GREAT latch, but she could barely ever get on thanks to her sister creating inverted nipples. She also slept for LONG periods of time as a newborn (like 5 hrs at a time), so my supply was only half as good. I pumped for her for 6 weeks, then put her on formula. Had I been making a ton of milk like I was with DD1, I would have EP'd for her and not done formula. Since I was supplementing anyway, I decided to just go to straight formula.

Anyway - I recommend an electric double pump!
rheaimedved likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
January 16th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just to let you all know, if you live in the states and qualify for WIC, they have breast pump rental programs that are free...I think you have to have a good reason for needing an electric over a manual, but it's something to consider.

If I could afford it, I'd get an electric pump. Alas, a manual will have to do.
January 16th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Definitely electric. Pumping manually is such a PITA. I bought a manual pump first to see if I even wanted to pump at all and after 2 days, bought a Medela Pump in Style double electric one. You can also write off pumps on your taxes as medical equipment.

My Boring Blog
January 17th, 2013, 09:10 AM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I rarely needed to pump, so I just bought a manual. I HATED it. I actually bought 2 different brands, thinking I hated manual pumps just because of the brand of the first one. I bought a Medela Harmony, and hated it too. The actual pump worked better, but I'm just not one for the squeaking, hand crampingness of a manual. I rarely went anywhere without DD because I hated pumping that much.

I am getting a double electric Medela this time around.
rheaimedved likes this.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
January 17th, 2013, 03:55 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the double sided Medela Pump in Style also and I LOVE that thing! I pumped at work and could be done in 10 minutes most days. It was perfect for when I needed to sneak pumping in between court hearings. It is worth every penny you would spend on it.
January 17th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Veteran
I used both. I would say - since you plan to pump everyday, you may want to get an electric. (You could keep it sealed and tape the receipt to it and return it if you decide not to use it.) My son and I had issues with BFing - so I ended up exclusively pumping. I became a pro at it. I used my electric one at home (the Lansinoh double electric) and I used the manual one when I was out and about (including pumping at work). I think the Medela electric pumps come with nice cases for carrying, though - don't they?
January 17th, 2013, 08:23 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraver2003 View Post
I think the Medela electric pumps come with nice cases for carrying, though - don't they?
Mine is in a backpack and a friend's is in a messenger bag. The pump is built right into the bag and there is tons of storage for bags, batteries, extra parts.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search