Maternity Leave

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran
For those that work and are planning to return to work, how long of a maternity leave are you planning on taking?

I am allowed to take up to 12 weeks ( which seems like an eternity but I know it's not) but I have no clue how long I should take!
I have a friend that works same company as me and she took 12 weeks with her 2 daughters and said I should as well because I will need that time.
I am just a bit afraid to be that long away from work ( I am allowed to so doubt I would get in trouble but still LoL)

January 16th, 2013, 08:14 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think if you have it to take, then take 12 weeks! You're going to need a good 6 weeks just to recover from childbirth--I mean that's how long you have to wait before you have sex again after giving birth, so I would count that as just recovery time. The next 6 weeks you can use to just enjoy being a mom and having your newborn around, and getting the hang of everything. I say go for it! I would bet you won't regret it later. Most moms seem to be really torn about going back to work with a tiny baby at home.
Shufu_in_Shunan likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 16th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Any of my friends who live/work in the states take everything they can get. One friend is a teacher, and she wasn't even able to stand up straight after her C section and had to go back to work so soon, I think she had 10 weeks total! I'd say take EVERYTHING you can get. That is important time, not only for you to recover physically, mentally and emotionally, it's vital bonding time with your baby that you don't have another opportunity to take. It's also hard to predict what 'type' of baby you will have, and what difficulties may arise that you are gonna wish you could be home to deal with/recover from!

Dh is taking 12-16 weeks out of an entitled 32. I'll be home as well, and although not always the norm. situation, it'll be a great opportunity for him to bond with the baby, and won't leave me feeling guilty or like I have to force some sort of newborn sleeping schedule so that he is able to get rest before going to work in the morning! I couldn't imagine being up all night with a baby and then still having to function professionally.

January 16th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Ashley Schroeder's Avatar #1 Due in May
I think you should take all you can get. You might regret it later if you don't. The company I used to work for only allowed 6 weeks, which I think is ridiculous & not nearly enough time. Take all 12 weeks. You'll be glad you did.
January 16th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Brock's minion
Remember you may also have FMLA leave available if you need more time.

Michelle
January 16th, 2013, 08:46 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm due after the school year ends (I'm a teacher) so I automatically have from June to August. I will be taking the full 12 weeks after school starts in August as well. Baby boy won't have to go to daycare until he is almost 7 months old. I'm excited!

Nichole
January 16th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've not given my work an exact time bc I know I won't be sure about it until the time comes. However I am thinking I will take 12 weeks off. I can work partially from home once I go back which I think will make the transition of going back to work a bit easier since I can keep baby home with me on those days if I want and work while he's content or sleeping.

January 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We get 52 weeks up in Canuckland and I plan on taking the full thing! Probably start a week or so before my due date, and go from there. My company will have to hire someone on contract to fill my position while I'm gone, so I'm not too worried.
WTTC #2
January 16th, 2013, 10:13 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You get a whole year in Canada?? Wow I need to move up there! Haha!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 16th, 2013, 10:33 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a couple of weeks earned in my vacation and sick time and anything after that has to be unpaid FMLA time I really wish that America worked more like other countries and made it easier for women to stay home with their newborns. I'm not even thinking about how long I will take off yet. I am a first timer so I don't know what to expect but I do plan to at least take the typical 6 weeks, even if close to half will be unpaid. Things are still up in the air though since DH and I are looking into ways that will make it possible for me to be a SAHM.
January 16th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
You get a whole year in Canada?? Wow I need to move up there! Haha!
It's kind of weird here.
15 weeks is maternity leave (you HAVE to take a minimum of 6 weeks unless you have a drs note)
37 weeks of parental leave (which can be split between both parents)

And technically it's unpaid, but you can file for Employment Insurance which pays 55% of your salary (up to a weekly max of just under $500).. so it's not full amount, but it's something.
EverydayJoy likes this.
WTTC #2
January 16th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
I will get my 6-12 weeks paid depending on 'medical necessity'. If they only give me 6 weeks, then I will take an extra 4 unpaid.
January 16th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Super Mommy
Yeah, all depends on where you live/work.

Here in California, I get 4 weeks before the baby is born and 6 weeks after (8 weeks if C Section). Then if I choose to take the extended FMLA I can get an additional 12 weeks added on to that (although only the first 6 weeks of FMLA is paid.)

So my plan is is I'm taking the 4 weeks before, the 6 after, and then using the first 6 paid weeks of FMLA.

Depending on my emotional state and our family's financial state, will I decide to use the remaining 6 weeks unpaid.
January 16th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurly View Post

Here in California, I get 4 weeks before the baby is born and 6 weeks after (8 weeks if C Section). Then if I choose to take the extended FMLA I can get an additional 12 weeks added on to that (although only the first 6 weeks of FMLA is paid.)

So my plan is is I'm taking the 4 weeks before, the 6 after, and then using the first 6 paid weeks of FMLA.

Depending on my emotional state and our family's financial state, will I decide to use the remaining 6 weeks unpaid.
Good to know! I never realized you could take 4 before birth. Is that with disability or is your employer required to pay?

I worked up until my due date with DD (because I really didn't know what else to do and she ended up being a week late anyway) and then took about 12 weeks off. During those 12 weeks, I had to come back to work for a week to deal with some things there, but I just brought her with me, since she slept the whole time anyway. I think 12 weeks was a decent amount of time to be off. By then, I was mostly ready to get back to my life anyway and really, work felt like a vacation compared to being with a newborn all day.

I did, however, keep on top of emails the whole time I was gone, which I strongly recommend if you have a demanding job. It made the transition back to work so much easier because I never felt out of the loop on anything and it was something to do while I was chained to my pump in the middle of the night (DD wouldn't latch!). Just a thought...

January 16th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I worked in the corporate world still, I'd take the full 12 weeks if given the option. Darnit, I am self-employed and a freakin workaholic though so I will likely be back to the stores within a week - for me, it all depends how much my family is willing to help this time with daycare - I won't put my LO into KinderCare until at least 1.5 years. Most likely I will work a reduced schedule and my parents and DH will help watch the baby while I'm at work from week 1 or 2 through 1.5 years, but I'll be back to work as soon as I can walk again ok...
January 16th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaBadola View Post
Good to know! I never realized you could take 4 before birth. Is that with disability or is your employer required to pay?...
Yes- through California Disability.

Here is the link to the website that's great and really breaks down the SDI leave (4 weeks before and 6/8 weeks after) and the FLA leave (aka FMLA leave- 12 extra weeks)

FAQ - Pregnancy

Read through the info- especially the "Benefits" and "Eligibility" links. It will tell you about some things that people are not aware of (like that the first 7 days of leave are unpaid AND the leave only covers up to 55% of your earnings). Just don't want you to be surprised later down the line.

But yes- those 4 weeks before are offered so take advantage!
January 16th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphera View Post
It's kind of weird here.
15 weeks is maternity leave (you HAVE to take a minimum of 6 weeks unless you have a drs note)
37 weeks of parental leave (which can be split between both parents)

And technically it's unpaid, but you can file for Employment Insurance which pays 55% of your salary (up to a weekly max of just under $500).. so it's not full amount, but it's something.

Oh I was wrong with my numbers.. I thought parental leave was 32 weeks... although it's EI, so long as you go back to work after the year many employers including all provincial and federal gov. positions top up your pay to something like 93% Because we are a single income family we couldn't afford for DH to stay home on only 55% but with his top up AND the tax breaks he really only misses out on overtime pay when staying home!

There are also all kinds of leave options surrounding still birth and late term miscarriage. And ways to share leave with a spouse or partner. It's really a pretty good system if you ask me!
EverydayJoy likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 05:03 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Hope you don't mind me jumping in from April, but I just wanted to clarify a couple of items:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsbowbin View Post
Remember you may also have FMLA leave available if you need more time.
FMLA has to run concurrently with any other leave program. So, even if you have 3-4 weeks (or however long) paid by your employer, you still only get a TOTAL of 12 weeks. The first several weeks would be paid, if you have the time to do so or if company policy allows, and then the rest would be unpaid. FMLA is not required to be paid, but most employers will make you use any sick/vacation/earned time balances before you go into unpaid status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurly View Post

Again, if I understand correctly, even in CA where they offer a paid family leave, FMLA is only 12 weeks total, and the PFL that CA uses has to run concurrently with federal FMLA. Therefore, you would still only get 12 weeks off. The only piece I'm not positive of is the 4 weeks beforehand, but it would seem logical to me that if you took 4 weeks beforehand that it would still fall under federal FMLA, which would only leave you a total of 8 weeks left once the baby is born. Like I said, I'm not certain on the 4 weeks of disability before delivery, but everything I can find about the PFL says that it is running at the same time as FMLA leave.

January 16th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Whiterozse's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNHigh View Post
I'm due after the school year ends (I'm a teacher) so I automatically have from June to August. I will be taking the full 12 weeks after school starts in August as well. Baby boy won't have to go to daycare until he is almost 7 months old. I'm excited!
I am a teacher too, and am doing the exact same thing. I am due at the end of the school year, so won't have to go back until September and, am taking the family medical leave for 12 weeks after that. I can't wait. If I could, and finances allowed, I'd stay home for the rest of next school year too! We shall see...

January 16th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Ltem45
I am taking 12 weeks (combo of FMLA/ std). Some of those weeks will be unpaid. I wish I could take longer or afford to stay home or be allowed to do my job from home. I work at an online college you would think they could make it work
I am due May 30th, but I know I could either go over or early. I am going to try to work up until I give birth, but that also sounds exhausting. I want as much time with my son because it has been a long wait.I would hate to leave before due date and not give birth until June.
I have had friends that took shorter leaves and regretted it, but I have never heard anyone say they regret taking all the time available to them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search