Let's Talk Baby Showers!!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 09:28 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How many of you ladies are having one? Do you know who is throwing it and when it will be?

Two of my sisters are hosting a shower for me. It's going to be in March. My sister who has a three year old strongly recommended having it more than just a month in advance to make sure that I have plenty of time to get everything in order and buy what I don't receive at the shower.
January 16th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Brock's minion
My sister in law is throwing our March 10th. I picked that date because I also wanted some time to prep for baby knowing what we had and what we need. Can't wait for the cake

Michelle
January 16th, 2013, 09:44 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know my sister is planning to throw me one, but I have no idea when.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 16th, 2013, 09:51 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My students say they are throwing me one. We shall see. My co-workers also plan on throwing me a baby shower. With my son, neither my mom not my sister wanted to give me one and they didn't attend. Boo!!

Nichole
January 16th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is not only my second child but also my second boy. Therefore I do not feel the need to have a shower. The few things extra that we want we have already or plan to buy ourselves.

January 16th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and I both have huge families so I have no idea who is throwing the shower, all I know is that there will be one. I am a bit uneasy about having one. I really don't like when the attention is on me, and opening presents if front of people is hard for me (wierd, I know). My son will be 11, and I have nothing left from when he was a baby (except for a few outfits and toys that were his favorite). So another shower would be great, but I feel like people will think it is selfish to have another one, even though my first was some time ago. My son is DH's stepson, so this is the first grandbaby for his parents. They are so excited, and I don't want to take that away from them by saying "no" to a shower.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

January 16th, 2013, 10:22 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My best friend and sister in laws are co hosting a shower on March 2nd. The theme is the birds and the bees. I can't wait!

January 16th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Brock's minion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly M. View Post
DH and I both have huge families so I have no idea who is throwing the shower, all I know is that there will be one. I am a bit uneasy about having one. I really don't like when the attention is on me, and opening presents if front of people is hard for me (wierd, I know). My son will be 11, and I have nothing left from when he was a baby (except for a few outfits and toys that were his favorite). So another shower would be great, but I feel like people will think it is selfish to have another one, even though my first was some time ago. My son is DH's stepson, so this is the first grandbaby for his parents. They are so excited, and I don't want to take that away from them by saying "no" to a shower.
Don't doubt that you deserve to have a shower. My dearest friend had her first child as a teen and when she got married and they started their family I threw them the best shower I could afford. I hope you have a huge, fun shower that you and your husband will always remember. I'm sure everyone that is there is more then excited for you.
Elly M. likes this.

Michelle
January 16th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much Mrs. B I will do my best to look at it that way

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

January 16th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
My parents church will be throwing one for me (these are ladies that have known me since I was about 2 years old, so I don't mind!). The church ones are usually held AFTER the baby is born, so probably not until June.

Most of my other friends aren't local, so not thinking I'll have anything other than that.
NTNP #2
January 16th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No shower for me. Its my 3rd baby so i dont need one. I have about 5 things plus clothes that i need for the baby and them im good to go.
January 16th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
My mom will be hosting it but I will basically do everything myself. I like planning things like that and I didnt want one at first but I have zero clothes for him besides the 3 outfits I bought because I got rid of a lot of my clothes cuz I was sure the next time I got preggo it would be a boy. DH family is really big but thinks all babies should be celebrated and have a shower so why not? I just want to do this one myself and I am even thinking maybe I will do it after baby comes so everyone can see him but I dont want him to get sick by being held by so many people. We shall see.

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

January 16th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
My mom and sister actually already threw me an early baby shower last month. Well, it was more like a "sprinkle," since it was just them, my two best friends, and two of my cousins. (We let my husband join in, too, since there were so few of us lol). We thought we were moving a month sooner than we are, so it was thrown together pretty last-minute and a lot of people weren't able to come. My sister also used e-vites and Facebook to send the invitations, so I think a lot of people didn't even know about the shower. It was still nice, and I'm usually more comfortable in a small group of people, anyway, but there were some friends who mentioned I should have one before I leave and I'm pretty sure they didn't even get their e-vites. My sister also held the shower in her tiny apartment. As soon as my mom mentioned throwing the shower to her, she said she couldn't drive out of town for it and it would have to be in HER town...which is about 3 hours from my hometown (where my husband's family and some of my friends live) and over a snowy mountain pass. And my sister kept calling me complaining about some of the preparations. I'm sure she didn't realize she was coming across that way, but it still made me a little upset. Overall, it turned out nice, although it was a bit stressful.

P.S. Beware of playing games that make you laugh hard while you have to pee. We played the "Cotton Ball Game" and my husband's turn was so hilarious I really thought I was going to pee my pants! Thank goodness I didn't. Stupid weak pregnant bladder...

January 16th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
I'll be having mine at the end of February. It has been 7 years since I had my son, so needless to say, all of my baby stuff is gone! LL
January 16th, 2013, 12:09 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We probably won't have one. Although, I think my mom wants to do a family/close friends meet-the-baby party after she is here. Which is fine with me. I am not averse to some sort of "celebration," but I don't really need a shower, since I have the majority of the baby stuff that I need and it is my third child in three years.

With Liam we had two showers. My mom hosted one and my MIL hosted one. They had different guest lists, since one was at my moms house with friends I have from growing up and close family/ friends. My MIL had hers at my house and new local friends and her side of the family came to that one.

With Kieran we did a Mothers Blessing. Which was fabulous. The only "gift" was a bead that was given to me to string on a necklace for wearing during his birth. Each one was meaningful and it really was a fun, emotional day. I have pictures of his birth with me wearing the necklace and I think it really made other folks feel like an important part of his entrance into the world.

So, I think a meet-the-baby might be perfect this time. I do love celebrating each child with something just for them. And my mom sure does enjoy throwing a party
January 16th, 2013, 02:00 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
My mom and sister are throwing me a "sprinkle" not as big as a shower this being my third, but my youngest son will be 8 when this baby gets here and I have nothing. I wont registar or anything like that. I will be grateful for anything anyone wants to buy for baby. I look at it as "celebrating a new life". Why not?

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
January 16th, 2013, 02:10 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My sisters are having a shower for me March 30th. We wanted to do it earlier but that's just the day that worked best for my sisters and myself.
January 16th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No shower for me, we didn't have one with DS either and I asked for no shower from my family because I knew my sister would throw one for me (I did hers with her sil), and thankfully she knows my personality and didn't do it. We're older, we just buy what we need and go see everyone with baby after they're here. That said, they are fun, I like going to them, I just don't like birthdays, showers or any of that stuff for me...
January 16th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm having a shower in March. It will be mostly DH's family because they live in the state, some friends, and my mom is flying up from Florida. I think there might be 15 people or so total.

I totally understand what you're saying, Elle...opening gifts in front of people can be awkward. I'm one of those people who shows my emotions on my face and I try to keep my responses to each gift the same so I don't hurt anyone's feelings, but it's hard. Lots of attention gets kind of awkward. But I'm pretty close to everyone who will be there so it should be fun.
Whiterozse likes this.
January 16th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
4 of my friends are getting together and throwing me a shower! I didn't expect to have one at all because my family doesn't do baby showers (there are just too many babies with the # of cousins I have)

I have tried really hard to stay out of it, but I'm already posted here about some issues with FB invites and such. That has been resolved now thankfully (I talked to one of the co-hosts and was honest and she said she wasn't aware that there was a plan for a fb event page and would take care of the invites herself)

It will be March 16, and other than giving suggestions for a guest list (people who I'd really like invited) I know nothing about it other than the date. Thats the way I like it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search