Overwhelmed!!!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By MrsNHigh
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Ltem45
It's only January and I am overwhelmed by baby choices. There are so many choices for strollers, carseats etc etc. My husband and I do not go out a lot so I don't know if I should just get a simple car seat or invest in the carseat/stroller comob. Aisles at Target and the like are usually so tight so I don't think a large stroller will work well. There are so many slings, but then I have read of some that babies were suffocating in and then I have read good and bad information on the Halo sleepers. I am can be a bit protective and I am worried my mil and sil will try to take over when the baby comes and won't do things the way I like. His insurance covers a breast pump and a carseat. My friend said to get the toddler carseat (she works for teh same company and you get an option) and said to choose the toddler seat.
I have seen posts that one should wait until the baby is here before getting the swing/ bouncy seats/ playyars etc.

Anyone else feel the same way? Any advice from people who already have kids?
January 16th, 2013, 08:03 PM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My advice is to not worry about stuff to buy. I never used a stroller with my son. He hated his swing. You really don't actually need much for baby. And you can always buy what you feel you need after it is born. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Nichole
January 16th, 2013, 08:08 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As for slings, I have also read that they're dangerous because they can compromise baby's airway. I used one with DS before I found out and he was fine, but I might have just been lucky. You'll want some sort of carrier where you can have the baby be semi-upright and be able to make sure their airway is straight (that their chin isn't sitting on their chest). I've heard the Moby wrap is good, although it can be cumbersome with the amount of fabric you use. There are lots of others out there you can look into. I'm not even sure what I should buy this time either, but I've been looking at them. I've heard it recommended that you buy second hand so that you don't have to spend the big bucks, in case it doesn't work for your body shape.

As for carseats, they do make ones that are good for newborn up to 100 lbs, that's what I have now with DS. But at the same time, it's so annoying to have to wake up a newborn to get them in and out of the car, so it's really handy to have the kind that will snap into the base in the car. As for the stroller, it's up to you, if you have a baby carrier/wrap that you like then you wouldn't need one for shopping. If you don't do a lot of shopping it could work. I had one of the stroller/car seat combos and I sure loved it, but I got it from a friend so I didn't have to pay for it. You could always just wait on a stroller since it's not really a necessity if you're going to wear baby while out.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 16th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNHigh View Post
My advice is to not worry about stuff to buy. I never used a stroller with my son. He hated his swing. You really don't actually need much for baby. And you can always buy what you feel you need after it is born. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Agree with this advice. I'm only planning to a buy a few things before the birth (some clothes, cloth diapers, a baby bjorn carrier, a bassinet) and the rest can wait until later.
January 16th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Slings, carriers etc are not dangerous unless they are used improperly. Baby's who suffocate in a sling clearly have fabric on or around their face. The easiest solution here is to be aware of your baby, and position the fabric away from their face.

I completely relate to a lot of your feelings though! I HATE all the baby stuff. We are skipping the infant car seat because the thought of lugging it around makes me want to smash my head against pavement! We are getting the TrueFit seat, that has a removable headrest and sits very similarly to an infant seat in your car until baby has better head control and can sit more upright, then you just add the headrest and can RF until 35lbs and FF to I believe 65lbs I also don't like strollers I have a small umbrella stroller, so once baby has head control I may use that for when at stores, otherwise I'm planning on doing a lot of baby wearing! I have a wrap, sling, and plan on buying a soft structured carrier (I'm eyeing up the Boba 3G right now) In addition to Cloth Diapers, we dont really have much left to buy.
As far as everything else goes. we are being given a crib and the other 'essentials' from my SIL, but will be replacing the mattress with an organic one, as this is one of only 2 things I'm really set on. (the other being the car seat)

Anything else will probably be gifted at our shower, or may not be necessary. Going into the summer months, I'm expecting a mostly naked baby, so I'm not even worried about clothing!

I think it'll take some evaluating of our lives, and what we want our lives to look like once baby is here to decide what 'stuff' we need. What I'm not comfortable with, the next person may think was the #1 item to have, and vice versa... it's a pretty individual game, but know that just because they have it in stores means you need it now or ever...also know that some of those things may save your life and sanity... be open to it all!
Ltem45 likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 12:07 AM
What I've heard is the risk of suffocation in a sling is the way some of them can cause baby's head to tip forward more than it should be. While in the womb, it's not a problem for their chin to be on their chest, because they get oxygen through the umbilical cord. But if a baby's airway is cut off by their head being too far forward, they won't even be able to cry to tell you there is a problem.
This is the concern I've heard brought up about some slings. I did use a sling for my son till he grew out of it. But I'd prefer something more upright because of the reports I've heard.
misty3281 likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltem45 View Post
It's only January and I am overwhelmed by baby choices. There are so many choices for strollers, carseats etc etc.

]My husband and I do not go out a lot so I don't know if I should just get a simple car seat or invest in the carseat/stroller comob. Aisles at Target and the like are usually so tight so I don't think a large stroller will work well. I got the stroller/carseat combo with a carseat that went up to 25lbs or something like 29inches... it was great 'cause I didn't have to buy another one for a long while, but it was heavy and if I took it out of the car, it HAD to go in the stroller (unless I was just going into the house). I didn't have a problem with most supermarkets or department stores, but clothing and retail stores are a pain. I used my wrap.

There are so many slings, but then I have read of some that babies were suffocating in From what I understand, newborns should not be held in slings where they can't have their faces out. Buy one that the baby sits upright, like the Ergo or the Moby or the Mei Tai (not a babybjorn... they're too expensive and you can only wear them one way).

and then I have read good and bad information on the Halo sleepers. I've never had any problems with the Halo sleepers, but I didn't start using them until he was 6mo+ and I buy the kind where his arms are sticking out and they zip up. Before then, I just swaddled using a blanket. I still put DS in a sleep sack and he's 19 months. He sleeps better if he's all snuggled in rather than just in his crib.

I am can be a bit protective and I am worried my mil and sil will try to take over when the baby comes and won't do things the way I like. Talk to them about the things you wanna do with the baby now and gently remind them every time they're over what your parenting beliefs are. And if they don't listen, be prepared to listen to their reasoning and then fight it out if their reasoning doesn't make sense to you.

His insurance covers a breast pump and a carseat. My friend said to get the toddler carseat (she works for teh same company and you get an option) and said to choose the toddler seat. If it's an infant-toddler seat, I say go for it if it's gonna be covered! Make sure the minimum weight is at max 6lbs though so you can bring your newborn home in it.

I have seen posts that one should wait until the baby is here before getting the swing/ bouncy seats/ playyars etc. Get the swing and/or bouncy seat now... wait for other play stuff. Oh, and a cool floor mat for tummy time. Babies don't use much else for a few months, but you should ask for the rest on your registry anyway or budget to buy it. If you budget, you can get what you know your baby will like though. I bought a swing and DS hated it. He just wanted his bouncy chair.

Anyone else feel the same way? Any advice from people who already have kids?

My Boring Blog
January 17th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Veteran
I agree with Nichole, I wish I didn't spend so much money on things I didn't need. I would get the basics for the beginnging and figure out the rest after baby is here. There was a lot of stuff I never used.

January 17th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
I completely relate to a lot of your feelings though! I HATE all the baby stuff.
Exactly how I feel. Ugh.
January 17th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
What I've heard is the risk of suffocation in a sling is the way some of them can cause baby's head to tip forward more than it should be. While in the womb, it's not a problem for their chin to be on their chest, because they get oxygen through the umbilical cord. But if a baby's airway is cut off by their head being too far forward, they won't even be able to cry to tell you there is a problem.
This is the concern I've heard brought up about some slings. I did use a sling for my son till he grew out of it. But I'd prefer something more upright because of the reports I've heard.
Thats the same reason babies should not be left to sleep in carseats, but people seem to do that all the time without thinking about it. In a sling, like with anything when used properly, with adequate supervision (it's a good idea to look down at your baby every so often) baby can be happy, safe and close to you which is exactly where they want to be. Really if you don't feel confident or safe using a sling, it's probably best not to, there are many other options. I think the other carriers are wonderful too, so I'd recommend getting a couple and playing around with what works best for you. I personally love the woven wrap I have... I even carry around my 30lb 15 m. nephew in mine, and he loves it! The stretchy wraps like the moby are great for newborns because they are so soft, but once baby gets heavier the fabric stretches... it's not a long term carrier.

The ones you want to avoid are the 'crotch danglers', like the bjorn or snuggli. They can cause hip problems for the baby, and in any carrier, facing the baby out is bad for you and the baby's body! Babies should be facing in, with their knees supported above their bum, or have their legs curled in 'froggie style' as newborns.
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

January 17th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Well said! I know there are many designs that hold baby in a more upright position, I am just thinking of one kind of sling that I had that made the curled-up position the one baby was most likely to be in, while inside that carrier. I can't remember what brand it was. But I think too a lot of mis-positioning is parent error. It's just good to know of that possible problem so you can avoid it. I will definitely be getting a baby carrier, not a firm one but a soft fabric wrap type, that I can position baby in so that he is upright with his neck in a good position.

PS which wrap do you have that you like so well? Was it good for a newborn baby? I am not sure which to try at this point. I saw one that looked good called the Maya Wrap Ring Sling, it looked like it would be good for a newborn. But it's hard to know without shelling out the bucks and getting one for yourself. Money is tight for us sometimes so I have to be judicious on what I try.

January 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is my first baby, so I've only had personal experience with my toddler nephew in my wrap... It's homemade. A friend made it, for her daughter and gave it to me a few months ago! I wanted to practice tying it before baby arrived and before I had much of a belly! It's not difficult once you get the hang of it at all!

I have seen some of the wraps costing several hundred $$$ that alone would scare me away from baby wearing! But If you find a safe woven fabric (I'm not sure what the criteria for 'safe fabric' are-I'd google that) I'm sure you could easily make your own, for a fraction of the cost of a moby or other wrap.

I think mine will be soft enough, without overheating the baby in the summer (part of why she chose that fabric) but it's not as 'cozy soft' as the moby that's for sure.
EverydayJoy likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Good to know! I have a sewing machine so I could potentially make one. I might just buy one though for ease, sometimes if you get stuff on sale you can get it cheaper than the cost of the fabric. Plus if I needed to alter anything storebought I could do that at home.

January 17th, 2013, 12:40 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I think you will be grateful to have an infant carseat with a handle and a base that stays in the car. That way, you can buckle them in the seat inside the comfort of your home, take all the time you want, add a blanket, adjust the straps, and you're not feeling cramped in the backseat of your car trying to do it, at weird angles, afraid to hurt the babies head or body, feeling rushed bc someone is waiting for your parking spot. And then you just click it in the base in your car and you're done! You can also click it right into the stroller. Its so much easier! They're so tiny when they're newborn! And you can go to restaurants very easily...baby just stays in carrier! I would highly recommend an infant/stroller combo. We have a Chicco. It's inexpensive, easy to use, and rated high in safety.

Also, I found a Pack N Play essential for traveling and for a place to put the baby in at home. In the early days, we kept it in our living room and baby would just nap there. I also loved my bouncy seat and playmat (great for tummy time).

Last edited by kary4; January 17th, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
January 17th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Joy, if money's tight, I'd look on Craigslist or (if there happens to be one in your area) children-specific consignment stores for slings.
EverydayJoy likes this.
January 17th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do. I'd hate to pay full price for some of the slings/wraps out there.

January 17th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Ltem45
Thanks for all the great advice.
January 17th, 2013, 07:14 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we were so fortunate to receive a lot of hand me downs. I used some things like a jumperoo and a playmat because they were free. I'm not sure I would have bought them on my own. Some things can wait also. We used the swing right away but she didn't fit the jumperoo until she was closer to 6 or 7 months. We got our high chair at a shower but she also didn't use that until later also. You could always start with immediate needs and pick up some other items as our LOs get older.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search