Glucose Tolerance Test

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Brock's minion
On my way to my doc for my glucose screening. I woke up too late to eat a real breakfast so just had some almonds and water. Hope this goes well so I don't have to worry more then I already do. Anyone else do their testing yet?

*** got a call this morning, I passed. My numbers are normal and I'm so relieved.

Michelle

Last edited by Mrsbowbin; January 22nd, 2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Update
January 18th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm doing mine next week

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

January 18th, 2013, 10:48 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yup, I did an early screening, and I am going back in 2 weeks or so to do another one to make sure it's still clear. I am nervous, though, because anything higher than a 7 is considered having diabetes, and I was 6 at 20 weeks. so I am worried that it will be higher at my next test when I am 26 weeks.

January 18th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do they normaly do this every pregnancy? I had it done with my first but not my second.
January 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've done it with all 3

January 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
They told me to go at 26/27 weeks. Im 24 now. They also told me to fast so it wont ruin the results and I would have to take it again.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
January 18th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Sapphera's Avatar May 2013 Cohost
I'll be doing mine around the 28 week mark, so I'll get the requisition at my next GP appointment (which is my last one, then I'll be transferring to the OB office!).
Michelle & David, Expecting #1 May 8 2013!!

January 18th, 2013, 12:38 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have mine at my next appt next month. I'll be 28 weeks.
January 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My OB hasn't mentioned it yet...I'm hoping to skate out of it! With DS my midwife didn't make me take it, she said I had no risk factors or family history so it was unnecessary. Hoping I don't have to take it this time.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 18th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Veteran
I have mine in early feb. I have to fast, and I'm worried cause I wake up hungry. I'm going to have a hard time not eating from 10 pm till 11 am at least

January 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Mine's Feb 13...I'll be a little over 28 weeks. I already have a low carb breakfast planned that worked for me last time. Hope I pass.
January 18th, 2013, 06:59 PM
So are you supposed to eat breakfast or not before a GTT? I see different opinions here it seems. I thought it was supposed to be fasting, but then I hear it's ok to eat breakfast..hmm.

January 18th, 2013, 08:08 PM
May 2013 Cohost
My doc's office said to just eat a normal breakfast. This is just the one hour test. If you fail and have to do the 3 hr test, then yes, you definitely have to fast for that one.

When I researched the one hour test, I found that a lot of people have false positives making them have to take the 3 hr test. The cutoff is usually 135 or sometimes 140. (At my place, if your blood sugar is over 135, you have to take the 3 hr test.) Part of the problem was they were eating way too many carbs prior to the test, then drinking a sugary drink, and their body couldn't handle it. But they passed the 3 hr test fine. On that test you fast so there is no sugar in your system to start with. This gives you a more accurate reading. I did not want to fail, so I planned a low carb breakfast for that am so I wouldn't have much sugar in my system already. I guess it worked!

Last edited by kary4; January 18th, 2013 at 08:10 PM.
January 18th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Aha that makes sense! So your best bet is a good protein-rich breakfast and then you should get a better result I would guess.

January 19th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I did mine this week and had to do the 2hr (really there for 3 hours) test. I had to fast... I passed the glucose but know my iron was low as well as some other blood cell counts. I can see my results online so I bet my doc will put me on iron supps at my appt next week. i HATE iron pills! yuck.

January 19th, 2013, 06:28 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do it at my next appointment when I'm 28 weeks. The doctor said to eat a normal breakfast. I may do just protein to make sure I don't have to do the 3 hour test. I wish I could skip it all together because I hate how awful I feel after chugging all that sugar. I love sugar and it still makes me feel terrible.
January 19th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They mentioned it briefly a couple of months ago so I know I'll either be doing it at this next appointment on Tuesday at 24 weeks, but more likely at the next one at 28 weeks since they didn't mention it at my last appointment - but my Doctor was out sick and I saw an NP then so I'm expecting it at either one and will fast on Tuesday just in case.

I failed the 1-hour with DS and had to go to the hospital for the 3-hour, totally sucked, hate drinking that stuff, have a hard enough time drinking that much of anything at once! Passed the 3 hour though and that was that. I know I have low iron too, have it normally without being PG, but I hate taking the iron supplements cuz they make me feel sick. I'm worried about this GTT because they've been telling me my sugar is slightly elevated since day 1 of this pregnancy during the urine tests so I am kind of expecting to fail this time because I never had that with DS, but hoping for the best...
January 19th, 2013, 08:27 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I'll do mine around 27-28 weeks. But ours are at the local lab, which is nice because they have wifi and I just bum around on my iPad (or laptop) while I am waiting.

I actually don't even mind the sugar drink. It never had any affect on me, so I guess I am lucky. I have had the same "flavor" both times and I have heard it is the lesser or the evils, so I hope they have it again. It just tastes like nasty Hawaiian punch. Lol.

I always eat a higher protein, lower carb breakfast before going. I can't go on an empty stomach, I'll get sick (even without the drink I need food pretty early in the morning to avoid feeling ill). So I hope I pass the one-hour and don't have to deal with the three-hour one.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
January 19th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Hey Nancy and Rhonda---if you need an iron supplement, one that I recommend is a liquid one called Floradix. Here's a link for it just so you can see what it's like: Floradix Iron & Herbs
I had anemia during my pregnancy with DS and my midwife suggested this. It tastes pretty decent, not like eating candy but not disgusting either. I just drank it straight but you could mix it in a glass of juice too. And it's very easily absorbed by the body so you can pump up your iron stores as quickly as possible.
It's easy on the tummy and won't make you constipated.
Rhonda66 and Skimboardin Mama like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search