what's your diet like on an average day?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Super Mommy
Just curious to know. At my Dr. appt two days ago, the dr. said pregnant women need lots of protein (duh) and fat (I didn't know that), but no carbs at all. Hmm..

What do you moms normally have for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I usually have lots of fruit for breakfast, coffee and maybe something sweet with the coffee. Then at lunch I try to eat veggies, eggs, cheese or yogurt... whatever I have i n the fridge (usually as a sandwich) and then I have a big dinner (lots of meat/chicken, salads, rice or bread etc). Of course I snack in between too (fruits or junk food ). And most of the time I end up "finishing" my DD's leftover food/meals when she doesn't eat them all.

What about you?
January 26th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am obsessed with fruits and veggies this time. I was just told by my doctor that I need to take in more protein, which I knew and am trying to work on. The thought of meat usually turns my stomach. In the first trimester I could not even cook meat for my DH and DS with out getting sick. Anyway, I eat a lot of veggie wraps, salads, TONS of oranges, and I am loving fruity junky cereal right now (terrible I know, but it is hard to resist). I try to make sure I drink at least 80oz of water a day, but I crave Pepsi all the time now, and I really need to stop that.
I also eat tons of fresh salsa. Every now and then I will crave a breakfast sandwich, but I can never finish them because halfway through the meat makes me want to gag. I am going grocery shopping today and I am planning on stocking up on yogurt, protein shake stuff, and cheese sticks so I can try to gt my protein in.
SunnyBunnyMama likes this.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

January 26th, 2013, 10:05 AM
May 2013 Cohost
My diet isn't great...but it's usually something like this.

Breakfast:
cereal with milk (like Lucky Charms or Reese Puffs, bad I know!) or croissant w/jelly
Sometimes 2 hard boiled eggs
OR toast w/pb and jelly and 3 slices bacon
Glass of milk

Lunch:
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich and chips
OR tuna salad sandwich or turkey wrap with chips
Fruit
Glass of Water

Snack:
Cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers

Dinner:
anything from roast chicken, to chili, or pizza!
Usually when we have meats, we have one starchy side and a salad, or one starchy side and a veggie
Glass of water

Dessert:
Chocolate or cookies
Glass of milk
January 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For breakfast I usually have a bagel with cream cheese and a banana. A few times this week I made pancakes. I couldn't get enough!

Lunch I'll have a sandwich usually.

Snack-Cheese-itz, string cheese, almonds, etc.

For dinner we always mix it up. Lasagna, salads, pizza, etc.

I need to get better about eating meat too. It just doesn't sound good to me (unless its a cheeseburger!)

I passed my glucose test but my doctor says I need more iron. So that's my new goal!

January 26th, 2013, 11:18 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Breakfast:
I prefer to have a big breakfast, cause I get hungry early, and I like having protein, usually scrambled eggs. Scrambled eggs and hash browns are what have been yummy lately, with some cheese in the eggs. Some mornings I am lazy and just want something easy, so I might eat a couple bananas with peanut butter on each bite and a glass of milk. I drink a lot of milk. Sometimes just cereal if I'm tired and don't want to have to work for my breakfast.

Lunch: Whatever sounds good, usually lunch is the meal I have a hard time deciding what I feel like eating. Might be a salad or veggies, or a sandwich, or even mac N cheese and an apple.

Dinner: Usually I want something hearty, like spaghetti and meatballs or a thick soup or a casserole.
Then I usually have a snack before bed because otherwise I'll get hungry after I lay down and am trying to fall asleep.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Since I don't work or have a schedule, I just kind of graze throughout the day. It usually is some combination of the following:

Oatmeal with fruit and milk
Plain yogurt with fruit and honey (FAGE yogurt is THE best, like 24 grams of protein in a cup-sized serving)
Smoothie (frozen berries, banana, yogurt, orange/apple juice, a bunch of spinach)
Apples
Bananas
Mandarin and normal oranges
Avocado on toast
Chicken veggie soup (with cabbage, chard, beets, celery, onion)
Toast with nutella or peanut butter and jelly
Milk
Nuts
Ice cream (sometimes just a few bites, sometimes a bowl... but definitely SOME almost daily)
Raw cabbage
Carrots
Dark chocolate covered nuts/berries
Dried banana chips
Dates

probably once a week i eat: (nitrate-free, sustainably farmed) bacon, annie's naturals mac and cheese (always with a vegetable, usually just raw cabbage), wild caught alaskan salmon, very occasionally a hamburger (less than once a week, but only because we never eat out), roasted chicken (before i make soup)

And sometimes I eat donuts

Last edited by rheaimedved; January 26th, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
January 26th, 2013, 04:25 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with your doc if he really said you shouldn't have any carbs at all. Carbs are an important part of any healthy diet, as long as you're eating the right kinds. I found this article that might help.

Recommended Carbohydrates For Pregnancy | LIVESTRONG.COM

Carbs, proteins, and fats all have specific duties they perform within the body and all are necessary for a healthy diet. I would maybe ask to consult a nutritionist to see what they say about it.
January 26th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Brock's minion
I try to balance carbs,protein, fats and sugars. I have a hard time keeping anything down in the morning so my husband has me drinking a carnation with slim milk. I also have tons of fruit allergies so I stay away from almost all fruit. I try to eat veggie heavy and not go salt or sugar crazy...I have a dessert type snack after dinner and a bowl of peanut butter capt'n crunch in the middle of the night just about everyday. I drink 1 can of "brown" pop everyday so I don't get killer headaches (only since second trimaster) and I always drink at least 80oz of water.

Michelle
January 26th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsbowbin View Post
I also have tons of fruit allergies so I stay away from almost all fruit. .
What kind of fruits?!
January 26th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I pretty much eat whatever sounds good. I lost about 25lbs and have not gained any of it back.

Breakfast: ceral, eggs, fruit or pasta. Just 1 of those items.

Lunch is whatever i can think of. I am hardly hungry come lunch.

Snack: yougurt, fruit, crackers, granola. Pretty much anything snack like

Dinner: i usually make big dinners. This week was eggplant lasagna, pizza, roasted chicken

I drink alot of watered down juice. My ob does not want me having anything without calories in it.
January 26th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Super Mommy
wow you all gave me some interesting ideas especially for breakfast.
As for meat, yeah I get through phases too. Sometimes it's just too disgusting to look at, but beans and lentils are a great source of protein. I make Hummus too and it's a very rich source of protein.
As for carbs not being so important, I think he was actually trying to tell me to reduce my carbs intake since I told him I have been eating a lot in the last few weeks. I remember that another Dr. and another nutritionist during my first pregnancy said something similar to what he said.
January 26th, 2013, 05:52 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Beth, did they ever figure out why you are losing? Do you have enough fat in your diet? All your snacks sound too healthy to me! You said you aren't hungry by lunch time...I'm usually starving by 11:30 am again!

Do you drink milk and eat cheese? What about adding peanut butter to your crackers?
January 26th, 2013, 05:54 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
I'm a vegetarian, so getting enough protein is a daily struggle for me. My normal work-week menu is:

Bowl of cereal w/1% milk

Couple hours later: protein bar

Couple hours later: banana

Lunch: sometimes a bowl of pasta, sometimes an egg salad sandwich, or a salad, or small personal pizza (if I forgot to bring my lunch).

For dinner I usually have a huge protein shake with peanut butter and milk to try to make up the rest of the protein I need. After that, I'm usually stuffed. Occasionally I'll have tater tots or fry up some tofu if I'm feeling motivated.
January 26th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Brock's minion
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
What kind of fruits?!
Tons-kiwi, strawberry,all melons,tomato,stone fruit, I have an acid problem that keeps me away from oranges and grapefruit.
I swear I am only safe with grapes and bananas which I do eat.

Michelle
January 26th, 2013, 06:37 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Tons-kiwi, strawberry,all melons,tomato,stone fruit, I have an acid problem that keeps me away from oranges and grapefruit.
I think I would cry if I were allergic to strawberries and melons.
commomama, EverydayJoy and Ltem45 like this.
January 26th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:

That's terrible! Call me silly but I thought people can be allergic to man-made products or nuts and dairy when introduced too early (as infant food)

I love strawberries and kiwis and cannot imagine my life without melons and oranges.
January 26th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

what about berries? how far does this reach into the "vegetable" category, if at all?
January 26th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
breakfast: frosted mini wheats with blueberries, blueberry pancake + egg whites, egg whites+turkey+ fruit, and cottage cheese with fruit in it

Lunch: dinner left overs, sandwich, lean cuisine (if i forget to plan ahead), or school salad bar

Dinner: chicken/fish/beef/turkey, plus a pasta/rice, or beans on the side... salad, veggies... i think i get a good mix..

I snack on fruit all day long.

January 27th, 2013, 12:10 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll second what Kary said, Beth--I wonder if you can up the fat content on anything that sounds good to you. For example whole milk, you could even buy heavy cream to add a splash to whatever you're eating that has milk on it or in it. Even the yogurt--my favorite yogurt is full fat, the brand is Zoi and it's Greek yogurt. They do have a fat-free version but the full-fat one is soo good. And good for you! You could always take olive oil or any other kind of oil that you like that is healthy--coconut oil, etc---and add it to anything you're eating. And full fat sour cream in any of your recipes if you can tolerate it. On your pasta you could make an alfredo sauce with heavy cream and lots of butter! Although I'm sure you have to keep it a bit light if you are having a hard time with stomaching some things. Cheese sauce...peanut butter mixed into vanilla ice cream...nuts are good too, they have a fair amount of fats and lots of protein so they'd be nutrient and calorie dense. I'm sure you're already doing everything you can to gain. Just thought I'd throw some ideas out in case it helps!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 27th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
B - Toast with pj&j or pb&honey almost every single day. Sometimes cereal. Glass of oj.

L - usually whatever my little girl is having.....grilled cheese, soup, sandwich

D - I make alllll different things, but it's almost always healthy. A meat/starch/veggie, or stew, we eat pasta once a week usually in the form of spaghetti......

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search