Now that your pregnant..

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 5 Post By Mrsbowbin
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By SunnyBunnyMama
  • 1 Post By TeeCee
  • 4 Post By markswife
  • 1 Post By 4 boys
  • 1 Post By Ltem45
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
What are some myths about pregnancy you found to be true or untrue??

I always thought every pregnant woman had uncontrollable gas lol.
Never knee what heartburn was tol I became pregnant.

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

January 27th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Brock's minion
I no longer believe in "the glow" or 2nd trimaster energy boost. I guess what I really have learned is that every pregnancy is different and some of my friends lie .

Michelle
January 27th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
what i now view as pregnancy myths:

1) the "glow" (doesn't exist... but I didn't really see it before, in others, either)
2) beautiful skin and hair (mine have remained completely unchanged)
3) hemorrhoids (i've had none, but there's still time!)
4) constipation (bowel movements have lacked in frequency and quantity, but they still happen a couple of times a day)
5) cravings (none. absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.)
6) bad gas (maybe a little worse than normal, but hardly noticeable)
7) heartburn (nope)
8) crazy hormones that make you an unbearable beeeyotcch/general mood swings or extreme emotions (i've been pretty even-tempered... slightly more emotional than normal, but nothing extreme)
9) changed sex drive (i have a high libido to start, but it hasn't changed for the better or worse)
10) giant boobs (they're bigger, obviously, but not proportionately to my body)

i've been keeping a running list, i'm sure i have more to add...

some things i didn't except:

1) tons of boogers, sneezing, and way more snoring at night
2) really, really extreme ligament pain (in my pelvis. i was nearly bedridden for 2-3 weeks because of this in my first trimester)
3) the "bump" wasn't an obvious one until 23 weeks... i was just in the "pregnant or fat" stage.
4) uncontrollable weight gain. obviously i knew i'd gain weight, but the combination of being on bed rest from weeks 9-20 meant that i had a normal appetite and no way to exercise (this is coming from running 4-5 times a week)... i've gained 30-35 lbs in a period of 15 weeks (it's slowed WAY down since i've been able to work out again... and i was borderline underweight according to BMI pre-pregnancy). i just can't help but wonder what it would've been like if things had just been "normal"
5) speaking of normal, i was completely unprepared for the problems that can occur regardless of age/race/weight... namely the subchorionic hematoma and the low lying placenta and all the bleeding associated with them

Last edited by rheaimedved; January 27th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
January 27th, 2013, 08:33 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haha I had a glow all right, it was all that grease on my face!
Hm as far as a pregnancy myth--I'm not sure, but I DO know that there are a lot of things people freak out about that you're not supposed to do that I do anyway. Like cleaning the cat litter, having a hot bath/shower (I always get out if I start to feel too warm), and having caffeine. I consider those to be things that are good things to be aware about, but not something I'm going to freak out about and avoid.
rheaimedved and Mrsbowbin like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 27th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran
My first pregnancy was the complete OPPOSITE of the second. It was a breeze.
MrsNHigh and rheaimedved like this.
January 27th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I always thought that once pregnancy occurred a woman's boobs grew massively.

TOTALLY not my case. I had none to began with and still don't. I'm just vieny. Blah!!
It was the only thing I was actually looking forward to lol
Sweet_Mama likes this.
January 27th, 2013, 12:50 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Isn't it strange how pregnancy is so different for every woman and also from your first child to your second or third or fourth children? I have terrible heartburn. I feel like I should be getting weekly haircuts because my hair is going so quickly. I go from wanting to strangle the next person that looks at me to bawling hysterically in just a few seconds. And yet, I haven't craved a single thing...odd or not...with either pregnancy.
January 27th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm also getting loads of heartburn this pregnancy never got any with my first it's horrible and I'm also tired no glow for me in either pregnancies x

January 27th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Being on my 5th, I can say that there is no "normal" in pregnancy, and there is also nothing predictable about it either!
selenamdz likes this.
January 27th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Ltem45
I thought that the first trimester meant nausea, aversion to fish smells, and prenatal pills lead to fast hair growth. I barely had any nausea, never had an issue with fish smells, but other smells really got to me, and even though my fingernails have grown fast my hair has not. My breasts did not get enormous and I didn't constantly crave pickles. I have also not needed my husband to run out and get me food in the middle of the night.
When I got pregnant I found out on week four and I had the worst cramps (constantly worried about miscarriage and always checked for blood). Never even knew about implantation cramps until after I got pregnant. Funny how some things are constantly talked about, but other issues are rarely brought up. My friends that had babies never even told me half the stuff I have either experienced or read about.
Not related to pregnancy, but my own idea of birth- I used to be hurt if my friends had a baby and did not contact me the same day to share the news. It was not until I started reading about pregnancy and watching scary natural birth videos on youtube that it hit me that pregnancy is not like it is pictured on TLC's Baby Story. Pregnancy even if not a c-section is surgery and requires recovery/rest. I am embarressed that I didn't realize what a big deal giving birth was.
TeeCee likes this.
January 29th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Veteran
Well the fact they say you gain lots if weight. I only gained 12lbs

January 30th, 2013, 06:50 AM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
None of the old wives tails worked for me to start. haha
I have held all babies different, first was low, second and third I held high, I am low again this time and ALL BOYS. ( I have heard different sex different hold) Not true for me!
Heart rates have all been totally different as well.
I have heard that boys either make you more/less sick than girls.
I was sick with my first, not sick at all with my second ...REALLY sick with my third (so sick i had to go to the hospital) and sick with my 4th... ALL BOYS
I have had different cravings each pregnancy...
I guess my big thing is, ALL of my pregnancies have been totally different and that did not determine the sex of the baby like so many people would say.
haha
So it would only make sense that many of the things you hear are untrue for you. I have had 4 totally different pregnancies.

January 30th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
^^I've had completely the same experience and I also have 4 boys.
January 31st, 2013, 10:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, this is my 10th baby, and all have been different. Some sick, some lots of weight gain, some very little weight gain, everything!
rheaimedved likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search