Leaky Boobs

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By Memi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry if this is TMI, but when I was changing for bed tonight I noticed my boobs suddenly looked a lot different. I'm large chested to begin with (38 E) and have managed to keep the same bras since getting pregnant, however they are starting to not fit well anymore and I'm being cheap and lazy (I'm 2 hrs from a store with bras!) so I haven't replaced them yet. It was livable.

Tonight though, My boobs looked really heavy, more round and full. I was just examining them, I still do monthly self checks even though I'm sure anything I'd find would be nothing just because of pregnancy, and my nipple started dripping liquid! I've never had any kind of nipple discharge before, and I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, but I'd feel a lot better if I knew some of you were experiencing the same thing! Is there anything I need to do/worry about... will they start leaking on their own? Will I eventually need breastpads? gah.. I was expecting this a lot later on... not just past the half way mark!

January 28th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
My boobs are small, but I have been experiencing leaking nipples since the end of week 23/beginning of week 24. I wasn't expecting it until much later, either, but after Googling a lot, it's apparently normal for some people and nothing to worry about (other than it being really freaking annoying). Mine leak on their own, usually mostly at night right before bed and early in the morning when I wake up. I've started keeping a bra on while I sleep, which seems to not let them leak as much. Hope that helps!
crunchywannabe likes this.

January 28th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! It's after midnight here, so I'm officially 24 weeks now! I will be on the hunt for some new bras soon I'z thinks!
Shufu_in_Shunan likes this.

January 29th, 2013, 03:14 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yeah I leaked like crazy with my son, my shirt would be drenched unless I wore a bra. I am surprised I haven't started leaking with this one yet.

January 29th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm also pretty small chested but my boobs have been leaky for weeks and weeks now. They don't leak on their own, fortunately, but if I squeeze just a little, liquid comes out. This actually happened to me when I was about 16, too (I was not pregnant)... I suspect then it was due to birth control. But at the time it was terrifying.
January 29th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It has not happened to me yet, but I remember it starting early when I was pregnant with my son. From what I have heard and read it is completely normal

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

January 29th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine leak too. My ob suggested using a panty liner cut in half to line my bras if i start leaking to much. The nursing pads are.expensive so i try to not use them till needed. She also said (yes its kinda weird but it works) when taking a.shower give your nipples a little squeeze and get the little bit of liquid out, it really releaves any pressure and usually gives me some releif from being sore and itchy.
January 29th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well if that sounds weird then this is bound to sound even weirder, but I'm very jealous! I just had such supply issues with DS and want to BF this time so badly that if I already was having leaky boobs I'd be so psyched! I agree this is totally normal for some women to experience tho.
rheaimedved likes this.

January 29th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memi View Post
Well if that sounds weird then this is bound to sound even weirder, but I'm very jealous! I just had such supply issues with DS and want to BF this time so badly that if I already was having leaky boobs I'd be so psyched! I agree this is totally normal for some women to experience tho.
did/will you try using an electric pump??
January 29th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I tried pumping and wouldnt ever get anything out. I would combine two days worth of pumping to only get about 2 oz for a portion of a feeding. It was so frustrating.

January 29th, 2013, 02:11 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Bummer, Memi! I hope you have success the second time around. I highly recommend making an appointment with a lactation consultant as soon as baby is born to help you. I found it really helpful!
January 29th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Does leaking have a direct correlation with not having supply problems when baby is born? That is something that has been on my mind as I really want breastfeeding to work out for us

January 29th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Bummer, Memi! I hope you have success the second time around. I highly recommend making an appointment with a lactation consultant as soon as baby is born to help you. I found it really helpful!
Well...TBH the lactation consultant in the hospital is the one who convinced me to supplement "just one feeding" for DS with a bottle to give myself a break. And that caused DS to never latch on again. Once he got the fast easy flow of milk from a bottle he wasn't going back. Disaster! I just had awful luck But thank you so much! I hope to have much much much more success this time around

January 30th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
did/will you try using an electric pump??
Pumps harm more than help with the supply. I had supply issues too with DD. Well, to start with my milk did not come in til 3-4 days later so I took the lactation consultant's suggestion (bad idea!) and tried pumping. Did harm more than good in my case.

But after my milk came in, I did leak a lot if I was not pumping on a specific time (body gets used to a routine and sets a pumping/feeding schedule)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search