Is your primary OB/midwife male or female?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2013, 06:47 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am just wondering. I have heard a lot of people say to me recently that they "aren't sure" how I can have a man as my primary doctor (he is the supervising doc, my midwife is female). I never thought twice about it. I am equally comfortable with a man as I am a woman. Between the two I have now, I don't care who delivers me, both are great.

My RE was male. My previous OB (Kieran's pregnancy) was also male. The first OB I ever saw was also male. I find my doc now is actually so gentle and caring compared to my midwife (who is also great, but a more "matter of fact" type).

So is yours male or female?
February 1st, 2013, 07:46 AM
Super Mommy
The midwife who delivered my first baby was male and he was AMAZING. I started seeing him again with this baby but had to move so now my Dr. is also male. But I don't like doctors in general, they're too busy and would just opt for a c-section than wait, so I am looking for a new midwife here.
February 1st, 2013, 08:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My ob is a female but since im high risk my delivery ob will likely be a male. I will just get the covering high risk ob for the hospital and they will just call my ob if needed. I had a female for my first delivery and a male for my second. I loved them both, the male ob was actually really nice and helped me get my vbac.
February 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't gone to my OB clinic yet, but from their website, it looks like it's a mix of males/females. You don't go to any specific "one" since whomever is on shift at the hospital will be the one that delivers..so each appointment you see someone new (or so I'm told..LOL)
WTTC #2
February 1st, 2013, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My midwife, as well as the high risk OB she referred me too when I had some complications, are female. I'm personally more comfortable with women, but I would not be upset seeing a male dr. etc

February 1st, 2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran
Male. I had a female OBY but when I got pregnant, I switch to him because he was recommended. I didn't care about the other OBYN ( she was fine just not so great for me NOT to switch)
He is fine. My regular doctor is also a male.
I don't really care, but I think I tend to lean towards males. No reason really

February 1st, 2013, 10:07 AM
Brock's minion
My OB is Male and I have no issue with it, I love him.

Michelle
February 1st, 2013, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a female.

I find her rather "giggly"
Not the nice way but the rather TO NICE.

Sometimes I feel she can tone.it down. But shes okay. The person delivering my lil one will be a male. So it doesnt matter.
February 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife and ob are female. I personally wouldn't feel completely relaxed spread open in front of a male, but I'm guessing I'd care less when it came to delivery.

February 1st, 2013, 11:48 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB is also my regular gynecologist and is male. I wouldn't trade him for the world. He's very relaxed, easy to talk to, and gentler than a female would ever be. As far as delivery goes, when it actually comes time for it I figured I wouldn't care if the transvestite on the street corner did it as long as somebody was there to catch. lol
markswife, Purrrrrrr and Mrsbowbin like this.
February 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I'm really not comfortable at all with men as my OB. It's just a personal thing. I do have one male OB in the practice I see and he's alright, but the rest of midwives and the other OB in the practice are female. The ******* I saw at the hospital this past week was male. I was not happy with him at all. Totally reaffirmed my dislike of male OBs.

My Boring Blog
February 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My first OB was a woman and I loved her. Now that we're in the States, I'm looking for a new doctor... I'm just picking a name off a provider list, but I'm inclined to go with a woman (she's a D.O., which, in theory, should mean she's more supportive of a natural birth) here. It depends so much on personality, but I'm slightly more inclined to see a woman, but I certainly wouldn't have a problem with a male doctor.
February 1st, 2013, 12:13 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Mine is female. I prefer female OBGYNs...but I know she has back ups to cover her and some are male. I will have to deal with what I get on delivery day!
February 1st, 2013, 12:37 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I personally prefer females. I dont know why other than I just feel more comfortable with them. My first pregnancy I saw a male and a few females. A female delivered both my other children. I know people who prefer to see strictly male ob's. I guess to each their own.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
February 1st, 2013, 05:27 PM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
I prefer females.. My midwife is female.
February 1st, 2013, 05:46 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I go to a place called "About Women By Women" lol so my OB is obviously a woman, everyone in the office is. There are about 8 women Doctors there - I have my primary OB, but the delivery Doctor could be any one of the other women - it depends who happens to be on at the hospital when you go into labor. They have a couple of male and female back-up Doctors who I could get if none of the regular OBs are available when I go to the hospital - so the potential to have a male delivery Doctor is there. I don't mind though - I couldn't even remember who delivered DS - it could have been the hospital janitor and I don't think I would have noticed at that point!
February 1st, 2013, 06:00 PM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I go to an office where all 4 doctors are female so even if my ob doesn't deliver Tilly, a female doctor is certain to.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
February 1st, 2013, 07:41 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The first OB I saw was a male and I hated him. I felt like he blew off all my concerns and did nothing to explain what was going on. I ended losing that baby and he was just an insensitive *******. I switched to my current office and it was all females when I was pregnant with DD. This time there is one male doctor and I was completely not impressed with him when I saw him last month. I see him again next week so we'll see if it was just a bad day. By the time it gets to labor and delivery, I'm going to love anyone that will get this child out of me as quickly as possible so I'll deal if it's him. Totally not my preference though.
February 1st, 2013, 08:27 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All females at my practice. However my OB with my first pregnancy was a male. It didn't bother me really.

February 2nd, 2013, 06:51 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my current doctor is female, but she has never seen me with my pants off and she won't be delivering my baby unless she is the OB on call at the hospital when he's born, so she might do a cervical check near the end of my pregnancy to see how things are going but if not then she won't ever "see" me, I don't think. my actual OB/GYN is male, but he doesn't do the OB part anymore so he sent me off to the new doctor. he was my doctor for my other pregnancies though. both of the OBs on call when my kids were born happened to be female but I wouldn't know them from Adam, to be honest. once the baby is born I will return to my regular gynecologist, who is male. my family doctor is also male.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search