pubic pressure/Symphysis pubis dysfunction

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4 boys

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2013, 05:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's hard for me to stay how long this has been going on, but not more than a couple of weeks, and not in any extreme form.

Today I'm acutely aware of a strong pressure/pain in my pubic area, in the very center just north of my labia/where the nether regions really begin. It's especially painful when I stand when a sitting position and just starting to walk, but once I get going it isn't so bad. After searching around the internet quickly, it seems like it could be this thing called "Symphysis pubis dysfunction," which sounds as unpleasant as it feels. If it is SPD, then it's apparently a condition that causes excessive movement of the pubic bones. It's associated with pelvic girdle pain. Here's the wikipedia page: Symphysis pubis dysfunction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I should also mention this interesting excerpt on wikipedia regarding birth and this condition:

"It is usually recommended that women with SPD give birth in an upright position, with knees slightly apart, and it is often suggested that a woman tie a ribbon to both legs to ensure that the gap never exceeds her maximum comfort zone. Practices such as placing the feet on the midwife's hips during delivery, stirrups, and interventions such as forceps should be avoided in the delivery room if at all possible, as they can strain ligaments further and cause long term problems. If stirrups must be used, for example during suturing, great care must be taken to move the legs in symmetry, manoeuvering them gently into position.[13]"

SO! I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing anything like this, or has experienced it in the past and, most importantly, was anything done about it?!? I FINALLY have my health insurance settled (I'm approved, coverage started yesterday) so on Monday I'll call to make an appointment. Interestingly, the doctor I'm planning to go to is D.O., and it seems going to an osteopath is recommended for this condition.
February 2nd, 2013, 06:26 PM
Super Mommy
Never heard of it. But honestly, don't worry, back when I was pregnant with my DD, I had a weird and unusual condition too, but my midwife at the time comforted me and said "your body will know exactly what to do when it's time". She was right. Also, congrats on finally getting your insurance coverage sorted out, now you can ask you dr on Monday too!
February 2nd, 2013, 06:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I had SPD aka pelvic girdle pain with my DD and am blessed with it again. For me, it's super painful to walk and feels like a constant huge bruise. I can push on the place where the pelvic bones meet, and that hurts and walking hurts A LOT!

Nothing that I know of can be done says my old doc and this one. They said getting a maternity belly support band can help alleviate the pain but I haven't tried it. As for delivery, I delivered on my back and things were fine.

Last edited by Skimboardin Mama; February 2nd, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
February 2nd, 2013, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama View Post

Nothing that I know of can be done says my old doc and this one. They said getting a maternity belly support band can help alleviate the pain but I haven't tried it. As for delivery, I delivered on my back and things were fine.
You might keep looking into some kind of treatment... I've been reading this website and it has a lot of information suggesting there is helpful treatment: Welcome to the Pelvic Partnership

For example, finding a D.O. in your network could help.
February 2nd, 2013, 08:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have it too but it's not so much my pubic bone as my low back and hips. Right now it's so bad I can't go to bed. I would take tylenol but I have a stomach flu and I'm afraid that would upset my stomach more. I ordered a support belt but it hasn't arrived yet so I hope it helps.

Generally if I don't overexert myself, I am ok, but if I do I spend days in pain before I recover. So just take it easy, no vacuuming or lots of walking. Stairs are bad if you can avoid them.

When I told my doctor all she said was to take tylenol. Not to happy with her at that moment. I hope you find some relief.
rheaimedved likes this.
February 4th, 2013, 12:08 AM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
I was convinced I had this when I was pg with DS, but never actually had it confirmed. It seriously felt like someone took a sledgehammer to my crotch every time I'd take a step or lift my leg . My doc did prescribe me a hospital grade maternity belt support, though, which actually helped a lot . I wasn't given any special treatment during delivery, and I'd say the pain I felt was probably typical of anyone giving birth lol. I hope you're able to find some relief soon! ;P

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search