Labor Classes Anyone?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2013, 09:25 AM
hangaroo81's Avatar Veteran
I'm actually taking a couple: childbirth/lamaze (took already), childcare & breastfeeding.

There was some good information in the childbirth class but I found the breathing techniques just OK. I feel like all that would goes out the door when you're in the heat of giving birth. They gave some relaxation techniques like pretending you're in a forest with falling leaves and birds chirping...LOL. I don't know if I can do that while enduring contractions...haha
Purrrrrrr likes this.
February 14th, 2013, 09:30 AM
hangaroo81's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
I wouldn't mind taking some classes, just to refresh. If it works out, anyway. I will probably get some books too on relaxation techniques.
With my son I had to be coached on what to do because I never got the urge to push, I was induced and pretty much just was told hey, you're 10 cm, you can push now. I never got that overwhelming need to push, even when I was pushing it was all directed pushing. For some reason whenever I held my breath to push I felt like I was going to pass out. Anyone else have that sensation? I've read since then that it's not good for the baby to hold your breath, that it's better to breathe as you feel the need while pushing. At any rate I hope to try whatever feels right to me during labor and see if I can get to something that feels more natural during that point.
A nurse that was teaching the class said to push like you're trying to push a bowel movement...lol. Pretty much that means, not holding your breathe until your face turns purple but to push down below while still breathing as normal as possible.
February 14th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangaroo81 View Post
A nurse that was teaching the class said to push like you're trying to push a bowel movement...lol. Pretty much that means, not holding your breathe until your face turns purple but to push down below while still breathing as normal as possible.
I hated being coached to push. I had an epidural and at first, I couldn't feel my abdomen, but about 10 minutes into the pushing, I FELT IT! and I was like STOP TALKING NOW, PLZKTHNX! If you don't have the urge though or you can't feel it, they'll tell you when one's happening by looking at the monitor.

My Boring Blog
February 14th, 2013, 11:23 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangaroo81 View Post
There was some good information in the childbirth class but I found the breathing techniques just OK. I feel like all that would goes out the door when you're in the heat of giving birth. They gave some relaxation techniques like pretending you're in a forest with falling leaves and birds chirping...LOL. I don't know if I can do that while enduring contractions...haha
Supposedly the relaxation techniques are for in between contractions, so you can get a little rest in between them. Definitely can't do them DURING contractions. Ain't nothing relaxing about those! LOL

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search