Labor Classes Anyone?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Hey guys,

As we're approaching (or already in!!!) our third trimester, who is doing childbirth classes already (or will be doing them)? Tell us about your experiences!

I just started Hypnobabies. I really like it so far. I don't know if it'll work for game time but so far, it's been really relaxing.

Anyone taken any previous birth classes?

I did one for my son's delivery at the hospital. It was... informative, I guess. But not really worth much during labor. I really relied on the epidural working for me, which it did for a while, but I wish I would've prepared better.
jcperez likes this.

My Boring Blog
February 11th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd like to, but I have no idea how to go about finding one. I'll probably ask my doctor if she has any recommendations once I see her next week.
February 11th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never done one, i was going to be my first came early. This is my third so i wont take one now. I have heard they are great classes.
February 11th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not doing any. I consider myself an old pro and I really hope this birth doesn't prove me wrong. We all know that can happen!
February 11th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Brock's minion
We are taking multiple classes at our hospital. I figure you never can have enough info.

Michelle
February 11th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Ashley Schroeder's Avatar #1 Due in May
We want to take some classes. When I meet my new doctor I'm going to ask him what he suggests & where to find the registration info. As first timers, I think it will be good for us to get all the info we can.
February 11th, 2013, 03:56 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The hospital I'm delivering at offers several types of classes so we are taking advantage of a few. We are doing a breastfeeding class in a couple of weeks, taking DH's daughter to a sibling class next month (she is currently an only child in both households), and a birthing class in April. I'm excited to be taking all of them. As a FTM I figure the more information I can get the better.
EverydayJoy and Mrsbowbin like this.
February 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I went for my first child. It was nice to have that time with my husband and somewhat informative. During labor though it was a whole different ball game. No amount of focus and breathing was helping me or the pain. Plus, they gave me iv meds. for pain which I hated because they only made me sleep. I felt so out of control.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
February 11th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
I'd like to, but I have no idea how to go about finding one. I'll probably ask my doctor if she has any recommendations once I see her next week.
Ask as soon as you can. These classes fill up so fast. With my DD, I waited two and half months before the delivery and I was on the waiting list for a while.

But honestly, the child birth and labor class was not that helpful (I liked the last session though when we did the L&D tour). I too relied on the epidural (unfortunately).
February 11th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Ltem45
I am taking a breastfeeding class next month and in April we are taking a childbirth class which includes a tour of the hospital too. I hope they are both informative.
February 11th, 2013, 07:29 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved the hospital tour but otherwise found the labor class to not really be that helpful when it came time to actually deliver.

I tried working with the lactation consultant and even went to a "class" after DD was born. It ended up being a bunch of women nursing in a room and the consultants would go around and offer suggestions. I thought it was going to be more like an actual class. I went just the one time and that was plenty for me. I felt like I learned more about nursing from my friends and the ladies from my PR than I did from anything formal I did.
February 12th, 2013, 05:29 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I wish we had more around here. It's the hospital classes or nothing. I'll re-read Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth and Birthing from Within. I liked them last time. But I considered the hypnobabies home study, but I am not sure it's worth the money to do it myself. I wish we had a class.
February 12th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
I wish we had more around here. It's the hospital classes or nothing. I'll re-read Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth and Birthing from Within. I liked them last time. But I considered the hypnobabies home study, but I am not sure it's worth the money to do it myself. I wish we had a class.
I'm doing the home study one. I found someone who sold me a used copy for half price. We live in the sticks and the nearest class was in Atlanta at a time we couldn't attend. I didn't wanna pay all that money either!

My Boring Blog
February 12th, 2013, 06:19 AM
May 2013 Cohost
No classes this time. I don't feel the class we took the first time helped much. I did my own kind of breathing. Lol.
February 12th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
No classes this time. I don't feel the class we took the first time helped much. I did my own kind of breathing. Lol.
Yeah, I did this too. I didn't like being coached to breathe and it didn't really seem to help me... and then when labor actually got painful, I quickly asked for the epidural, hahaha.
jcperez likes this.

My Boring Blog
February 12th, 2013, 06:37 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are doing some classes at our hospital, childbirth, breastfeeding, and infant care. They have a reasonably priced package deal to do all three. We won't be starting until March though.

I also just found out that our baby's r us has free classes. I want to take the one of infant CPR. Has anyone done a BRU class before? Are they worth it?
February 12th, 2013, 08:10 AM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
I have never taken any classes for labor or anything like that.
haha
When I was pregnant with my first I remember thinking " well women have been doing this forever... without classes, ill be fine"
and sure enough, I did almost all my labor by myself with my first.
no drugs
he was born 17 mins after i got to the hospital.
haha
there were a few things I wish I did know, like how you feel the urge to push a good amount of time before you should start pushing and how to know for sure i am in labor...
but as far as breathing, concentrating and pushing out the baby (when to push) Your body literally tells you when to push because it hurts if you dont try to push! haha... it all came naturally! And after that experience, I guess I never felt like I needed a class with the others haha.

February 12th, 2013, 08:41 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't mind taking some classes, just to refresh. If it works out, anyway. I will probably get some books too on relaxation techniques.
With my son I had to be coached on what to do because I never got the urge to push, I was induced and pretty much just was told hey, you're 10 cm, you can push now. I never got that overwhelming need to push, even when I was pushing it was all directed pushing. For some reason whenever I held my breath to push I felt like I was going to pass out. Anyone else have that sensation? I've read since then that it's not good for the baby to hold your breath, that it's better to breathe as you feel the need while pushing. At any rate I hope to try whatever feels right to me during labor and see if I can get to something that feels more natural during that point.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 12th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
my dad asked me if i was planning to take any classes, and he pointed out that, more than anything, they're a really good way to meet other moms and make friends in the area (since my husband and i have none). he and my mom did a Lamaze class, and 26 years later my mom is still really close to one of the women she met there. unfortunately, her son and i (about a month apart in age) NEVER got along. we fought even as tiny babies, so they were hardly able to spend time together.

anyway, just something to consider
February 13th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are in our third week of Bradley classes. We're both enjoying them so far.

If anyone is planning on starting a childbirth course, not just class, I would strong suggest you plan to start very very soon. I though about waiting until February to start (ours started in January) and I'm glad I didn't wait. It's a 12 week course and I'm by far the farthest along in our class. Most of the ladies are due in July or August!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search