Would you rather....

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
...have your water break to signal the onset of labor?

...or have contractions start it off and have your water break or be broken down the line (or deliver with it intact)?

Just a fun question!

I would rather have contractions start it off and not have my water broken until much later. For one, it makes early labor seem shorter to me. And for two, I think it hurts less since the water is cushioning the head pushing on your cervix. I do believe, however, that it can make labor longer for the same reasons of it being less painful. But I still prefer contractions first.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
February 15th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Expecting a boy in May!
Much rather not have my water break until he's being born. The water being intact keeps that barrier between the baby and the outside world and prevents infection. I had a baby with GBS who spent 2 weeks in the NICU and let me tell you that's not fun. My water was broken for 8 hours or so and I got multiple internal exams that I'm sure contributed to it. (Although I tested negative for GBS at my doctors appointment a few weeks earlier AND a few weeks after that incident.)

They say it makes it less painful if your water doesn't break but I can't say I noticed a difference between the one that did and the ones that didn't.
February 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiblii View Post
They say it makes it less painful if your water doesn't break but I can't say I noticed a difference between the one that did and the ones that didn't.
I had the same experience, however, when my water was broken artificially, it WAS more painful. Weird.

I would go with contractions beginning first. If your water breaks first, at least you would know this was definitely IT but at the same time, if labor doesn't begin you can end up with an induction or C-section. So I'll take the contractions.
February 15th, 2013, 02:03 PM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
I have experienced both of these, i actually liked when my water broke first, I knew what was going on and that he was on his way. I also don;t recall being in my more pain when my water broke first?
In fact- that was my only drug free labor.

February 15th, 2013, 02:27 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Much rather have contractions first then water break. Once my water breaks its all down hill from there. The pain for me is instant and immense. Talked to my dr. and she said this time around I will try for an epidural BEFORE they break my water (im being induced). Hopefully this time around the epi will work for me if I do it that way : )

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
February 15th, 2013, 02:54 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the preference for contractions first. I am going to do my absolute best not to get induced this time. They broke my water artificially with DS and that sure got the ball rolling, but man it was intense. We'll see how this one goes!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Contractions first for sure!
February 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran
I think I would rather have my water break first so i knew baby was really on her way. I had contractions on and off before I was induced so water breaking would mean it was really time for me.

February 15th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have no idea! Lol
I'm sure ill find out soon enough
February 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've done both and don't know that it mattered for me. For me, I'm usually more worried about who will watch the other kids, what day it is, than how my labor starts, but finding care for 9 of them isn't that easy
rheaimedved likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Sapphera's Avatar May 2013 Cohost
I'm a FTM, but would rather contractions start first.. considering my #1 fear is my water breaking in public...yeah.. would rather get the "heads up"
Michelle & David, Expecting #1 May 8 2013!!

February 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Veteran
My water broke first with DD, contractions did not start till later (the following morning). My midwife said baby can survive in the womb for only 24 hours after water breaks and that if my contractions did not get closer, I'll have to have a c-section. I had epidurel too which prolly slowed things down, but luckily, I finally was able to give birth 23 hours after my water broke.

I don't have a preference this time, I just want to go full term, a natural delivery with not so much pain (ehem) and a healthy baby.
February 15th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
FTM- but I would like contractions to start first. If my water breaks at home, I have to go in within 6 hrs, but if it doesn't I can labor at home until I am ready to go in.
February 15th, 2013, 06:36 PM
May 2013 Cohost
SunnyBunny- I've never heard that baby won't survive if he/she is not delivered within 24 hrs of water breaking. I know it's riskier after 24 hrs, but I don't think it's a given baby won't survive? Hospitals usually make you deliver within 24 hrs.
February 15th, 2013, 07:18 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had contractions first for almost a day before the doctor finally broke my water. It really wasn't that fun. I don't know that my water breaking first would have made much of a difference.
February 16th, 2013, 12:04 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBunnyMama View Post
My water broke first with DD, contractions did not start till later (the following morning). My midwife said baby can survive in the womb for only 24 hours after water breaks and that if my contractions did not get closer, I'll have to have a c-section. I had epidurel too which prolly slowed things down, but luckily, I finally was able to give birth 23 hours after my water broke.

I don't have a preference this time, I just want to go full term, a natural delivery with not so much pain (ehem) and a healthy baby.

Babies can survive just fine after water has broken, I've been reading stories online of women who went a week after their water broke before they delivered their (healthy) baby. Doctors just give the 24 hour timetable to avoid a lawsuit. Your amniotic fluid keeps replenishing itself, even after your water breaks. If baby is doing fine, and there's no sign of infection, you don't have to hurry and get a baby out. That's just hospital politics for ya.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 16th, 2013, 11:38 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBunnyMama View Post

If that 24hour thing was true...neither me or DH would be here right now. My moms water broke two days before she had me. And DHs mom walked around leaking puddles all weekend (Fri-Mon) and didn't have him until Monday night! I agree that it is just hospital policy because of the potential for infection (like wiiblii experienced).

I actually did find a "pain" difference in my labors having my waters intact and having them break at the start of labor. But there are so many factors, I can't say that was the only thing that made the difference between the labors

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
February 16th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Veteran
Hmm.. don't know. I remember that this is what I was told when I was at the hospital, I just believed what I heard and did not ask any questions. Or maybe was too nervous/scared/excited to have the baby that I did not hear very well what I was being told :|
February 17th, 2013, 04:54 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had both, water breaking at the onset and water breaking during transition, and I much prefer having my water break later because he contractions are less intense.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search