Sooo stinking irritable!!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By misty3281
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2013, 12:24 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone else feeling that way? I'm not sure if it's just third trimester pregnancy or because I stopped taking Prozac (after talking to my doc about it last month). But more days than not I'm just snappy and irritable with DS, DH, the dog, whoever is in vicinity. I don't like it but I am NOT going back on the Prozac. It didn't do a whole lot for me and totally killed my libido and any hope of sex being enjoyable.
My doctor is pretty set on there being only two choices...Prozac or Wellbutrin (even though I took Zoloft per my OB when pregnant with DS). The Wellbutrin makes my heart issue worse, so I can't take that.
I'm still thinking about just starting up my own regimen of St. John's Wort, because I wouldn't have my doc's approval on it. I have read it has less side-effects than Rx antidepressants so I would think it would be safer than meds. But of course, herbs don't get any scientific studies because there's no money in selling something you can't patent.
I dunno. I talked to my doc about it and she said, well if it gets worse and you feel like you're not taking care of yourself, then let me know, if you're not taking care of yourself then you're not taking care of the baby. I'm annoyed that it's only a problem to her if my baby's health is in danger. Quality of life for me and my family doesn't seem to be a concern, though I tend to under-report stuff (I don't like being a drama queen). I just miss my medical clinic up in Alaska where they made my emotional well-being a priority, not just the health of my unborn baby.

Sorry for the long sob story...

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 24th, 2013, 04:39 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you're having to go through so much. I'm easily irritated, but I have been the whole pregnancy and it hasn't increased any lately so I just assume it's the hormones. I did completely flip out on DH a couple weeks ago to the point he was begging me to go to the room and calm down because he was scared I was stressing the baby. I actually threw up from being so upset. Thank Jesus that's only happened once. I remember when I worked at the OB clinic back in like 2007 they didn't allow Zoloft to be taken either, and there are now advertisements now for lawsuits against them for birth defects so try not to be too upset on that one. It's great that nothing happened with one pregnancy, but there's no guarantee something wouldn't happen with this one. And I'm really sorry they only seem to care about baby and not you. The only reason any baby survives is because of the mother so both should be given equal time and concern. Tell your DH y'all need to take a trucking trip down here for a while. I'll fix you up with my OB. He's pretty amazing. I truly hope things get better for you. We're getting closer to the finish line.
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.
February 24th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks Misty. I didn't know that about Zoloft, that's interesting. I think I just need to get more serious talking with my doctor/OB about this. I appreciate your thoughts

February 24th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said they aren't paying much attention to it because you're under-reporting.

I also hope you're taking other steps aside from relying on medication (even st john's wort) to help with these problems. The two main things I can think of are:

taking up meditation. there are a lot of good books out there... "breath by breath: the liberating practice of insight medication" (rosenberg) did wonders for me when I was going through a rough patch awhile ago, "wake up to your life" (mcleod) is much longer but very good, and "the way of zen" (watts) is also wonderful... also, "the four agreements" (ruiz) is really helpful (and also uplifting, quick and easy to read) if you're specifically having problems in your reactions to others, which it sounds like you are. additionally, finding a meditation center or classes can be helpful.

talking with a counselor who isn't RX-happy. I tend to have a pretty strong anti-drug standpoint, but (due to experiences of two very close friends) accept that they can sometimes be very useful, IF you are simultaneously building up other skills to improve your situation. in any case talking to someone who supports alternative paths can be enlightening.

most importantly, give yourself some time; medication has pretty drastic effects and it takes some time to come off of them and feel normal.

Last edited by rheaimedved; February 24th, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
February 24th, 2013, 11:18 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Rhea - I just have to say - you give the best darn advice! You're so level headed and have really good ideas.
rheaimedved likes this.
February 24th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Rhea - I just have to say - you give the best darn advice! You're so level headed and have really good ideas.
Thanks! I try. I like to think my brain is just good at compiling information to spew out when a problem arises. I love this forum because there's always so much useful input when people post with issues.
EverydayJoy likes this.
February 24th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Joy...I am ultra miserable right now too...So we can start another club!!! My dh is grumpy and I don't know why....He is acting like I am bothering him when I speak...So that's making me super miserable and I want to get certain things done and I can't do them myself. That doesn't help! I hope that you get some answers with your meds. I am gonna stick it out and just be cranky, after all I only have 8 weeks and a few days!
February 25th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Rhea...thanks for the advice...I've only fleetingly tried meditation and I'm not that good at it, I must say. My brain is too active. But maybe it would help.
As for counseling, I can't see my favorite counselor, that I have seen occasionally over the course of 10 years, because they don't take the insurance I have now. Plus I feel like it would be hard to schedule anything with DH's work schedule, and I don't want to bring a toddler there. At least with doctor appts I can bring DS if I need to. But with counseling, you kind of need to be able to give your undivided attention.

I'm an old hat at dealing with depression, and I've had good results from medication when nothing else seems to help. I remember being medication-free my first trimester with DS and feeling like if I didn't get something going, I was going to ruin my marriage with DH. I kind of am feeling that way again. I'm not sure I want to spend the next 10 weeks like this!

Anyway, I'm going to call my OB tomorrow and pretty much just tell her I need something and that's that. And no, I am NOT going back on Prozac. Anyway. We'll see what happens.

mama3o, I'm sorry you're miserable!! Sometimes husbands can be tricky to figure out. Mine tends to be the "strong, silent type" and so I can have a hard time knowing what's bothering him when he is too quiet.

February 25th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
I'm an old hat at dealing with depression, and I've had good results from medication when nothing else seems to help. .
Yeah I get that. I still recommend "The Four Agreements," but only because it's one of my favorite books and I try to push it on everyone
EverydayJoy likes this.
February 25th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Talked to my doc today and she's putting me back on Wellbutrin...all's right with the world.
Although I will have to watch for it to see if it gives me more palpitations. But I see my cardiologist next month.
misty3281 and rheaimedved like this.

February 25th, 2013, 03:42 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's good news. Just make sure you notify your doc if you start having problems. Hope it kicks in soon and you start feeling normal again.
EverydayJoy likes this.
February 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't have anything to add, I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you and hoping your new medication helps.
EverydayJoy likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 05:11 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Sorry you are going through this Joy. I wish I had some helpful advise for you but I really dont know much on the subject. I do know that I am much more cranky now than ever. I feel like Im at the point in this pregnancy where I just want my body back and to feel normal again. When my sister was pregnant she was on prozac. She went off it when baby was born and has been ok without it ever since. Hopefully you will feel better when the baby is born. If not, I know that there are alot of other medications that you can try that maybe wont have the same side effects.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
February 26th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks Jessica. The Wellbutrin should be ok because the heart rate issues I have seem to only be a problem in pregnancy, and after I delivery they should go away--at least they did with DS after he was born. So I'm counting on it only being another 10 weeks or so of having to take medication for my heart. Plus the Wellbutrin didn't bother my heart prior to getting pregnant, so I'm hoping that's another good sign that it will be ok after delivery.

I'm with you--I want my body back! I'm not sleeping well, I feel huge, and I'm achy and sore all the time. Starting to get that beached whale feeling and it's not fun! Thankfully it's only 10 more weeks...that's what I keep telling myself, anyway
rheaimedved likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 08:33 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm telling myself 7 more weeks since I've already hit 30 weeks...I figure at 37 weeks I could start some labor inducing stuff...hehe
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search