First Actual OB Appointment

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Sapphera

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Sapphera's Avatar May 2013 Cohost
So, this morning I had my first actual appointment at the OB clinic. When they said it'll take an hour and a half, they weren't kidding!! It was a little bit annoying though, because they made me re-fill out a form for the government with the nurse there - even though I had filled it out EONS ago with my GP Grrr. At least I got to skip a good half of the form (family history.. I know nothing of it.. LOL).

Then, I found out that a bunch of bloodwork that should have been repeated around week 26 wasn't.. though they said most GPs don't know what to request for pregnancy (then why do you allow GPs to keep a patient until 30 weeks?).

It wasn't all bad though.

I got the numbers for my glucose test... they want anything between 5.5 and 7.7 .. I was 6.4, so right on average.

My blood pressure was through the roof at the beginning of the appointment, but was lowest it's EVER been by the end (including pre-pregnancy...but it's in the "good range").

Because I'm heavier, I apparently automatically get sent for another ultrasound at 32 weeks just to check on the size of the baby - even though I'm measuring right bang on, etc etc.

OH, and they changed my due date... to May 8th - which is what it should have been to begin with because of the temperature charting I was doing.. and my dating ultrasound matched that.. but my GP still wanted to go off of the LMP..so yay for having the right due date now!!! Just took me to 30 weeks to get it..of course, that means i'm not 30 weeks anymore..hahahah!!!

So, all in all, I just have to get some bloodwork done and another ultrasound...yay
Michelle & David, Expecting #1 May 8 2013!!

Last edited by Sapphera; February 25th, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
February 25th, 2013, 02:46 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's crazy GP keeps you to 30 weeks. I mean I understand not transferring to OB until after the first trimester just in case, but that just seems way to late to me. Anyway I'm glad it went relatively well and yay for an extra ultrasound. I love any chance to see baby.
February 25th, 2013, 05:26 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Sounds like it went well! I'm surprised they changed your due date this late in the game...usually the earliest dating ultrasound is the most accurate. What prompted them to change it on the first place? Also, what blood work did they not do at 26 weeks?

Last edited by kary4; February 25th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
February 25th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Sounds like it went well! I'm surprised they changed your due date this late in the game...usually the earliest dating ultrasound is the most accurate. What prompted them to change it on the first place? Also, what blood work did they not do at 26 weeks?
Her GP was basing it solely off her last period. Due dates are all inaccurate to some degree anyway (unless you're being induced or having a c-section ), considering giving birth anywhere from 38 to 42 weeks is considered normal.
February 26th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Sapphera's Avatar May 2013 Cohost
I was surprised it was changed as well - but it's more accurate this way .. it was a clomid pregnancy and I was temp charting and this matches my O date perfectly.. But most Dr's don't put any stock in temperature charting so I had no reason to contest the due date - the ultrasound was right bang on though (they based it off my NT ultrasound at 12 weeks). And the only reason she bothered changing it was in case I go over and we need to talk induction.

The bloodwork that apparently should have been redone was the CBC, iron levels, TSH, and to confirm blood type. Nothing big

As to seeing my GP until 30 weeks, we have the choice here whether to go to the OB right away, or to wait and get late referral which is 30 weeks, or get shared care referral which is 36 weeks. *shrug*

I love my GP and have always had good care with her, so I didn't see a reason to go earlier since I wasn't considered high risk. (Plus, at my OB clinic, you're not assigned any particular OB..you see a different one each visit, and when you deliver, it's whomever is on shift at the hospital that day.. so it really doesn't make much difference).
Michelle & David, Expecting #1 May 8 2013!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search