Ugh!! Failed glucose test!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By Elly M.
  • 1 Post By usnwifey9
  • 1 Post By usnwifey9
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to say that I was shocked when my dr told me today that I failed! So now I have to do the three hour test. When I was pregnant with my son I was no where near as healthy as I am this time around, and I passed then with flying colors. This time I failed with a number of 168! I can't believe it was so high I am having a hard time absorbing that. My dr was really nice about it though. He said my weight gain is great (22lbs) and that is could be just that I am 10 years older then I was when I had DS. So we just need to wait and se what the three hour test says. So frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

February 26th, 2013, 09:22 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Argh!! I'm sorry you failed. That sucks!! Did they have you fast for this one or were you able to eat breakfast prior?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 26th, 2013, 09:25 AM
No I had to fast. In fact, the last time I ate was at 8PM the night before, and the took my blood at 10:10 Am on the dot the next day.

February 26th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Hmm I was told I could eat breakfast, so I had a protein-rich breakfast prior to showing up. I wonder if the fasting had something to do with it?
You could always ask if you could try the 1 hour again, maybe? IDK!
Mrsbowbin likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I tought about that, but he said to go get the three hour this Friday, and I have to seem him the following Friday. SO I might as well get it over with. Good thing my mom got me an Ipad for my birthday so I can at least play Angry Birds for 3 hours, lol
EverydayJoy and Mrsbowbin like this.

February 26th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Oh yeah, found out I am anemic also. So I have need to take an iron supplement also.

February 26th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's such a bummer. Good luck at the next test! I think it's the right thing to do to just go ahead with the three hour... the test is designed to be run after fasting, so that shouldn't have an impact. Looks like you're not alone, at least.

Last edited by rheaimedved; February 26th, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
February 26th, 2013, 11:58 AM
May 2013 Cohost
That stinks - so sorry. Definitely bring your iPad and your lunch so you can eat immediately after the test is over. Keep us posted.
February 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Ya know, I have a good friend who is crazy healthy and failed her 1-hour after fasting for it.

I passed mine just fine, being not-so-healthy, but eating a protien-rich breakfast.

Not saying it definately is related. But it seems that maybe it has something to do with it?

I hope you pass your 3-hour with flying colors
February 26th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I fasted 13+ hours before doing my 1-hour glucose test, which I passed...

But I did just read something that said only about 1/3 of women who don't pass the one hour actually have GD, so that's promising.

Last edited by rheaimedved; February 26th, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
February 26th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Veteran
That really stinks! Here's hoping that you pass the 3 hour test!! You will be an angry birds pro after that!

February 26th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I definitely second the "bring lunch" sentiment. Bring something with protein you can scarf down right away, you'll probably be pretty hungry!

February 26th, 2013, 07:36 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ugh, that really sucks. I hope you pass the 3 hour test.
February 26th, 2013, 09:37 PM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
Sorry to hear! I was so worried I'd fail mine since I have been a total carb and sugar junkie this pregnancy, so I also fasted prior to taking the 1hr glucose test. Thankfully I passed, but now they're thinking I may have GD after all because my belly is measuring large, baby is measuring nearly 2wks ahead of schedule, and I have extra amniotic fluid ;(. I, too, am having a hard time wrapping my head around all of this because I am so much more active this pregnancy than I was when I was pg with DS (I've gained less than 10lbs so far!). They haven't asked me to do another glucose test, but I have been advised to watch my carb intake as a proactive measure and they will continue to check my fluid levels at my upcoming appointments. Bottom line, those 1hr glucose tests can be a bit iffy sometimes but hopefully you won't have any problems with your 3hr test . Good luck!
rheaimedved likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sharon-- I read a couple of studies last week talking about various methodology for estimating gestational age, and stomach measuring was accurate within plus/minus 4 weeks.. that's a pretty large margin of error. In general, the later in pregnancy, the less accurate measurements are for dating purposes.

It also looks like there's only a slight correlation between GD and "polyhydramnios" (excess amniotic fluid)... ~65% of cases have an unknown cause: High Amniotic Fluid Levels : Polyhydramnios - American Pregnancy Association

It won't hurt anything to do a test again if it comes to that, but it sounds like the odds are low.
February 26th, 2013, 10:15 PM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
Sharon-- I read a couple of studies last week talking about various methodology for estimating gestational age, and stomach measuring was accurate within plus/minus 4 weeks.. that's a pretty large margin of error. In general, the later in pregnancy, the less accurate measurements are for dating purposes.

It also looks like there's only a slight correlation between GD and "polyhydramnios" (excess amniotic fluid)... ~65% of cases have an unknown cause: High Amniotic Fluid Levels : Polyhydramnios - American Pregnancy Association

It won't hurt anything to do a test again if it comes to that, but it sounds like the odds are low.
Thank you for the added info and reassurance . My primary doc didn't seem too concerned about my belly size as she attributed it more to the shape of my belly than anything being "wrong" with the baby in terms of growth, but this last doc I saw (we're military and are advised to see all the different docs on the OB staff) ended up doing an impromptu u/s which is when she found the excess fluid and said my baby was measuring almost 2wks ahead. Of course I'm sure there's also a margin of error for measuring baby's growth while still in utero, but with all the different findings pointing in the direction of potential GD it was hard not to think otherwise I guess . Nevertheless I am still trying to be a little more conscious of my carb intake, and we'll see if it makes any bit of a difference come my following appointment next week .
rheaimedved likes this.

February 27th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
That's good to know for me too, my doc has been concerned that my belly is measuring 2.5 weeks ahead consistently. Personally I wasn't worried at all, it's like, ok, I started this pregnancy a teensy overweight, and big babies also run in DH's side of the family. But it's nice to hear that the belly measurement really isn't all that accurate. I have also heard that ultrasounds get less accurate as you get bigger, they're most accurate when baby is really little ...like under 12 weeks (from what I can recall). Anyway I don't know why doctors have to go worrying so much. So what if I have a big baby? I have faith that I can still deliver him the normal way.
rheaimedved likes this.

February 27th, 2013, 03:27 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I failed the glucose and Im anemic as well! Im actually going today for the 3 hour test. YIPPIE.....cant wait. They can never find my veins as it is and its pretty tramatic for me to get pricked one time but now 3! This should be fun. I also have to take a suppliment for the anemia. So, you are not alone. Good luck with your your 3 hour, hopefully we will pass it this time.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
February 28th, 2013, 03:46 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcperez View Post
I failed the glucose and Im anemic as well! Im actually going today for the 3 hour test. YIPPIE.....cant wait. They can never find my veins as it is and its pretty tramatic for me to get pricked one time but now 3! This should be fun. I also have to take a suppliment for the anemia. So, you are not alone. Good luck with your your 3 hour, hopefully we will pass it this time.
Correction...they stick you 4 times. Glad I got that done and over with though. I only have one really good vein in my one arm so they kept using the same vein all 4 times. I'm grateful the people at the lab knew what they were doing and made the experience for me less tramatic. The first 3 times were really painless. Worst part of the whole thing...I was STRAVING by the time I left. The best...I brought my laptop and did a report to pass the time in the waiting room.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
February 28th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Jessica...sorry you had to go through that. But I bet you are glad it's over! At least they were able to find a spot to stick you, but ugh it hurts when they re-use the same vein. Been there done that with an IV and it sure was sore. I bet you had a really good meal after you were done!
jcperez likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search